Dismal inventory and now the luck of the draw

There have been all sorts of nonsensical, arbitrary, and inconsistent practices across the the various H stores, that I gave up trying to figure out the specific "rules" many years ago, beyond the usual common sense approach to interacting with SAs. Hearing about these sorts of shenanigans is a total turn-off (and good protection for my bank account). I am lucky to not feel the need to buy anything from them at the moment or in the near future.

I don't have first hand experience, but I think this probably happens in the US, where SAs get a commission when they sell an item, no? My son was in NYC during these last holidays, and he said that the SA's in the stores really hustled you to buy their merchandise, which is something we're not used to! In my neck of the woods in Europe, Hermès SAs and SAs in general just get their monthly wages, no commissions on sales, so I don't think this method would apply......

i know everyone keeps saying it should be fun shopping at H, but I find the whole thing more stressful than fun, to be honest. i find it fun when you walk into a store and there is infinite goodies you want to buy, but at H that is never the case with inventory so low! so most of what happens is talking, discussing, hoping, requests, more waiting... that is why i am open to the reseller concept. sometimes it is fun to see some eye candy, and just buy it! lol.

i think everyone has expressed the downsides to this new system. can anyone explain the benefits? for both the customer and the sales associates? i am having trouble figuring out what the benefits are, if they aren't working on a commission basis. and is there any benefit for the customer?

I am wondering the same thing- I admit, I don't buy much, but both the boutiques I've been to were in Europe. The stock wasn't AMAZING in the first store (Antwerp), but way better than it sounds in America. The second store I visited recently was the Amsterdam airport store, which was great. I went before Christmas and they had a huge stock of nearly everything out besides B's and K's of course and in lots of colors. There was one SA who was very friendly. She said they would probably sell out of everything on display in a week and would then get more. It sounds like they were getting regular shipments. I wonder if H is currently prioritizing stock to shops they deem very profitable and high-traffic? I suppose the airport stores in Europe would be prime candidates for that...

LamborghiniGirl said:
i know everyone keeps saying it should be fun shopping at H, but I find the whole thing more stressful than fun, to be honest. i find it fun when you walk into a store and there is infinite goodies you want to buy, but at H that is never the case with inventory so low! so most of what happens is talking, discussing, hoping, requests, more waiting... that is why i am open to the reseller concept. sometimes it is fun to see some eye candy, and just buy it! lol.

i think everyone has expressed the downsides to this new system. can anyone explain the benefits? for both the customer and the sales associates? i am having trouble figuring out what the benefits are, if they aren't working on a commission basis. and is there any benefit for the customer?

Totally agree!!

The benefit is that Hermes has a method - any method - to spread its limited produce across its stores. We might like to pause and consider why stock is so limited and remind ourselves that the goodies come from a laborious, resource-intensive, costly handcraft process. The benefits aren't for an individual customer, nor the SAs , but for the organisation as a whole and ultimately its entire clientele. Please - anybody and everybody - don't take this as an offensive personal criticism but if you want everything on tap then you are shopping in the wrong place.

Hermes we know is opening an additional two leatherware ateliers this year ( 2012 - that's the corporate plan anyway) but don't expect them to roll into full scale production by the end of January because they will continue to manufacture Hermes goods in the Hermes way which includes training the staff from the ground up and shutting down for the whole of August! We may get a few extra keyholders in 2013.

Relax and enjoy the ride everyone - you know your holy grail is out there; the fun is in finding it.

This much stress/trouble so I can drop 4-5 figures on an item is no bueno.

I'm pretty content with my little H collection and I don't have anything that I just have to have. I enjoy working with my SA and will continue to buy from him whenever he shows me something he think I might like, but otherwise I'm not going go out of my way for anything.

I wonder if anyone from the US has gone to Asia to get a b or k, as opposed to going to FSH? Because all the inventory is supposedly winding in in Asia.

A friend of mine is a VIP at one of the boutiques in HK and she said there had been some interesting pieces but generally speaking she wouldn't say the inventory's any better than the US (she splits her time here and there so she has SAs in both countries). I was recently there myself and while there weren't a lot of bags but they had fairly decent inventory of SLG. I was able to purchase one RG Lizzy Bearn from one boutique and an orange Epsom Kelly wallet from the airport location.

The benefit is that Hermes has a method - any method - to spread its limited produce across its stores. We might like to pause and consider why stock is so limited and remind ourselves that the goodies come from a laborious, resource-intensive, costly handcraft process. The benefits aren't for an individual customer, nor the SAs , but for the organisation as a whole and ultimately its entire clientele. Please - anybody and everybody - don't take this as an offensive personal criticism but if you want everything on tap then you are shopping in the wrong place.

Hermes we know is opening an additional two leatherware ateliers this year ( 2012 - that's the corporate plan anyway) but don't expect them to roll into full scale production by the end of January because they will continue to manufacture Hermes goods in the Hermes way which includes training the staff from the ground up and shutting down for the whole of August! We may get a few extra keyholders in 2013.

Relax and enjoy the ride everyone - you know your holy grail is out there; the fun is in finding it.

:goodpost:
I think this is a great way to think. Hermes has not always had this poor an inventory, and I don't think these circumstances are forever. Right now the corporation is expanding and the major markets are in Asia. But these things change. I also am remembering not too long ago during the major market crash when, for a very brief period, Birkins actually appeared on the shelves. . . and there were complaints that they were TOO readily available and folks were concerned they were losing their exclusivity! :lol:

:goodpost:
I think this is a great way to think. Hermes has not always had this poor an inventory, and I don't think these circumstances are forever. Right now the corporation is expanding and the major markets are in Asia. But these things change. I also am remembering not too long ago during the major market crash when, for a very brief period, Birkins actually appeared on the shelves. . . and there were complaints that they were TOO readily available and folks were concerned they were losing their exclusivity! :lol:

One interesting thing about some of the markets in Asia is that the recession is now creeping up on them. I am from India and what I have been hearing from relatives and friends is that the recession typically hits the emerging countries such as India a few years after it hits the US. I am not sure what is the case in China as I havent really looked into that but I know from relatives that the cost of living in India is sky rocketing and the incomes are not growing. I mean the prices of food have really gone through the roof to the point where the cost of basic vegetables are basically on par with what we pay in America. I wonder if Asia will be slowing down this year and the rapid growth of luxury in Asia will slow down some what. I know I read in Time that the Euro is still a bit uncertain due to the issues in Greece and a couple of other countries.

The benefit is that Hermes has a method - any method - to spread its limited produce across its stores. We might like to pause and consider why stock is so limited and remind ourselves that the goodies come from a laborious, resource-intensive, costly handcraft process. The benefits aren't for an individual customer, nor the SAs , but for the organisation as a whole and ultimately its entire clientele. Please - anybody and everybody%

One interesting thing about some of the markets in Asia is that the recession is now creeping up on them. I am from India and what I have been hearing from relatives and friends is that the recession typically hits the emerging countries such as India a few years after it hits the US. I am not sure what is the case in China as I havent really looked into that but I know from relatives that the cost of living in India is sky rocketing and the incomes are not growing. I mean the prices of food have really gone through the roof to the point where the cost of basic vegetables are basically on par with what we pay in America. I wonder if Asia will be slowing down this year and the rapid growth of luxury in Asia will slow down some what. I know I read in Time that the Euro is still a bit uncertain due to the issues in Greece and a couple of other countries.

^ I read yesterday that exports from China are being hit by European economic concerns and dismal US consumer spending. So I think you may be right. There are many signs that growth is starting to slow in the previously red hot emerging markets.

i feel like they need to get rid of the commission and each store should have a main "list" of what each client is interested in and when those items come in, a SA contacts them and sees if they want to buy it (going down a list of who said they want the item first). if no clients want it, then it goes out on the shelf. i think this might be the most fair approach. i think it's stupid that certain items are allocated to a certain SA. i missed out on something i really wanted because the item i wanted was allocated to another SA. a store should operate as a team (and the team as a whole should want to please the customer, not the customer trying to please an SA just so they are "allowed" to buy something), not as specific people that just happen to work in the same building. hermes should be embarassed with the situation with the SAs at madison (from the 1st page).

Hermes as a corporation has changed dramatically from the kind of enterprise it was 10 to 15 years ago. The SA's these days are under huge pressures to meet sales targets, and, as is clear in a period of inventory shortages, jealously guard the desirable inventory that they are allocated. They want to sell to their repeat customers, who feel rewarded, and then, supposedly, feel motivated to buy additional items.

This inventory shortage is partly is due to the increased fervor which surrounds the brand these days, fueled by Hollywood, expansion into new and wealthy markets and the like.

It is rather like a sickening merry-go-round. I don't expect it to change in the near term.

I agree that the atmosphere in the Madison Avenue store is rather hit and miss for the people who are not already in an established relationship with a SA who is looking out for them and their wish list.

This really doesn't make sense. It might be true but for H to do that is just insane!!

So each and every one of the "popular" items are assigned to an SA?

Might as well put the SAs name right beside the item saying "Please contact XXX should you wish to purchase this item"...

Also, why did she get furious when you asked her..? Isn't it her job as an SA to sell products?

I hope that this does not apply to all stores over the world.

If this were true then customer relationships with an SA might be jeopardized because they might not be able to purchase something that they want unless they talk to the right SA.

I guess the resellers might be doing very well in terms of sales for this year if this system is implemented...

I was shocked when this happened! I know the H store at Madison could get crazy around the holidays but you would think that they would want to sell as much as possible.

When they tell you they have a low inventory they might be exaggerating. On Jan 2, 2012 I went to the Madison store looking for the Kelly Long. The SA said they had 1 kelly short wallet in black box and 2 Dogon wallet. When I came back on Jan 6, 2012 my SA had a Bleu Electrique Croc Kelly Long with GDW and a bearn wallet in taupe "to sell." The other SA had a light blue Kelly Long to sell.
Also there was another SA I forgot to mention. She walked by us on the way back to the stock room and asked if we needed help. We told her we were looking for a kelly wallet and we were waiting on the other SA to finish with her customer so that we could ask her if we could see the light blue wallet. The new SA had a box in her hand and told us she didn't have a Kelly but she did have a bearn in Bleu Electrique. My heart was set on a Kelly Long so I had to pass on it.

I don't know why the SA got furious when I asked her. I would think they would want to sell more items. It's like they don't want people to know what they have for sale.

My issue was that they tried to get my original SA in trouble. That's why I asked the original SA if it was ok if I asked the other SA since she could not sell me the wallet I wanted. She said "sure you can try." Needless to say she was very nice and proceeded to help the next customer. Before I left and apologized to the original SA for getting her in trouble she was even "shocked" that she was going to get in trouble.

i feel like they need to get rid of the commission and each store should have a main "list" of what each client is interested in and when those items come in, a SA contacts them and sees if they want to buy it (going down a list of who said they want the item first). if no clients want it, then it goes out on the shelf. i think this might be the most fair approach. i think it's stupid that certain items are allocated to a certain SA. i missed out on something i really wanted because the item i wanted was allocated to another SA. a store should operate as a team (and the team as a whole should want to please the customer, not the customer trying to please an SA just so they are "allowed" to buy something), not as specific people that just happen to work in the same building. hermes should be embarassed with the situation with the SAs at madison (from the 1st page).

:tup:

It's like they threw customer service out the window, with these recent horror stories.