Scarves Discussion and Reflection on Scarf Threads

Ooh, all this organisation is so wonderful to read. It really appeals to my librarian instincts! Thank you all so much for your hard work.

Now I will probably have to change all my links to tPF scarf threads on my blog if they have been moved. But what else do I have to do. It will give me another activity when I am bedridden. Thank goodness for iPads!

Reactions: bunnycat and Julide
Ooh, all this organisation is so wonderful to read. It really appeals to my librarian instincts! Thank you all so much for your hard work.

Now I will probably have to change all my links to tPF scarf threads on my blog if they have been moved. But what else do I have to do. It will give me another activity when I am bedridden. Thank goodness for iPads!
The new "scarves" marker/ button is very useful. One click and all scarf threads appear! I hope you don't have to do too much moving of links, HermesHope. :flowers:

The Scarves prefix doesn't change the URLs of the threads – it's basically just a tag, just like the ones you use in your blog posts so one can quickly call up all the blog posts with the same tag.

Reactions: litchi
The new "scarves" marker/ button is very useful. One click and all scarf threads appear! I hope you don't have to do too much moving of links, HermesHope. :flowers:

So do I! :biggrin:

The Scarves prefix doesn't change the URLs of the threads – it's basically just a tag, just like the ones you use in your blog posts so one can quickly call up all the blog posts with the same tag.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I understand about the tagging, but members have been talking about moving some of the threads into different sections, so I assume that the URLs will then change. I hope not though!

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I understand about the tagging, but members have been talking about moving some of the threads into different sections, so I assume that the URLs will then change. I hope not though!
So do I! Changed URLs would really make a bit of a mess.

As far as I'm aware though, there's not much to fear. PurseForum-wise, a URL seems to consist only of 1) a thread's title, and 2) a number, designated to the thread at the time of its creation. It seems that thread's location doesn't affect its URL at all. :smile:

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-KoMxfBiJPhnqROmL.jpg

Do not worry, the url stays the same, even after moving:
check this out:
https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/hermes-reference-library.58/?prefix_id=14
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/the-fall-2017-scarves.964281/

edit: gga+ was faster than me...

Reactions: litchi
So do I! Changed URLs would really make a bit of a mess.

As far as I'm aware though, there's not much to fear. PurseForum-wise, a URL seems to consist only of 1) a thread's title, and 2) a number, designated to the thread at the time of its creation. It seems that thread's location doesn't affect its URL at all. :smile:

View attachment 4179050

Do not worry, the url stays the same, even after moving:
check this out:
https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/hermes-reference-library.58/?prefix_id=14
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/the-fall-2017-scarves.964281/

edit: gga+ was faster than me...

Thank you both! Phew, what a relief! Mind you, I may be able to find some threads that I haven’t seen before if they are moved, so I will probably write about those.

First of all, I really like the new scarf thread label. I use and wear many things Hermes, but it is scarves that I am most interesting in, so this is hugely helpful.

Hi everyone. Pbp here, now EmileH for security reasons. I’m up early and just found this thread. I tried to catch up quickly.

The silkies are in my opinion the nicest and most interesting group of people on the forums. The scarf threads first lured me to tpf. SOTD is a wonderful thread and I appreciate that it’s very popular. I personally don’t follow it anymore for several reasons. One problem is solved regarding the constant and somewhat arbitrary hand slapping. I do tend to see a large percentage of the same archive photos over and over with the themes that repeat each year. After a few years as I scrolled through pages upon pages I got bored. The photos of large numbers of scarves open flat are amazing to see and I learned so much early on. It’s wonderful that there is a place for that. It’s a unique and valuable resource. I know that there are new members who have joined in the past few years and who add a fresh perspective. Occasionally I look and like, but it’s hard to get a good conversation going with pages and pages of the archive photos interrupting the train of thought. It just doesn’t lend itself to conversation. Unless you want to get totally into it and devote a huge amount of time. I just don’t have the time.

I made a conscious decision that I wanted to collect to wear and not collect to collect. (Not that there is anything wrong with either approach. This is just my goal for myself.) So I am most Interested in how people wear their scarves and integrate them into their wardrobes. I love modeling and outfit shots. I understand that themes help people wear scarves they haven’t worn as often from their collections. I personally found that in trying to wear a scarf to fit a theme I wasn’t dressing very well. I was putting together boring outfits just to try to fit a theme. And yes, now it’s fine to occasionally be off topic, but if there is a theme I would consider it off putting to not stick to the theme for the most part. I decided to stop contributing and to stop picking my scarf first but to pick my outfit for the day and that add a scarf or not depending on whether it added to my outfit. I feel like I’m dressing better for having made that decision. Now more than ever I’m interested in figuring out how to wear my scarves in fresh new ways with my outfits. And SOTD is not what interests me given my limited time.

I do appreciate that no one wants to follow a thousand scarf threads. I would personally love an opportunity to rejoin the silkie fold and reviving the H It Up thread would be of interest to me. That would allow us to learn from each other how to integrate our scarves (and other H trinkets) into our outfits and perhaps would lead to more banter and conversation. I’ll still occasionally scroll and like on sotd.

So that’s my two cents. Have a nice day everyone.

This perspective was really interesting to me. The archive photos don’t bother me, but perhaps I have been exposed to them for a shorter period. I like SOTD because it helps me wear more of my scarves. I find that really helpful.

What surprises me about SOTD is its fairly low participation counts — perhaps I am mistaken here, but there must be more Hermes scarf wearers out there! I sometimes wonder if it can come across as less accessible to a newer collector (or just a casual buyer who has a couple scarves) who doesn’t have multiple scarves to contribute each week.

I don’t really if there is a solution here though other than reviving threads like H it up!

First of all, I really like the new scarf thread label. I use and wear many things Hermes, but it is scarves that I am most interesting in, so this is hugely helpful.

This perspective was really interesting to me. The archive photos don’t bother me, but perhaps I have been exposed to them for a shorter period. I like SOTD because it helps me wear more of my scarves. I find that really helpful.

What surprises me about SOTD is its fairly low participation counts — perhaps I am mistaken here, but there must be more Hermes scarf wearers out there! I sometimes wonder if it can come across as less accessible to a newer collector (or just a casual buyer who has a couple scarves) who doesn’t have multiple scarves to contribute each week.

I don’t really if there is a solution here though other than reviving threads like H it up!
AnnaE , I really think You are so right about the SOTD low participation for newer wearer.
I remember following the thread quite some time , before posting to it.
I was thinking, my collection is so tiny, I will soon drop out.
Also silkies are such a tight community and I wondered, if it is ok to join and that I would not break any rules there. When I finally posted , I remember moma quoting me, I felt so happy.
It took a long time before I realized, it is totally fine to post a SOTD and be OT.

I still keep wondering, where all the sold scarves are? I rarely see them IRL, even there is a Hermes store in my city.
An SA told me most buyers here wear scarves only in special occasions, which I find sad.

I don’t really if there is a solution here though otheSOTr than reviving threads like H it up!
SOTD is my fav go-to thread. I participate but not as frequently as I would like due to family commitments.
Now the unbearably hot weather is behind us I can get back to wearing twills on a regular basis.

@ninakt There must really be very few of us scarfies out in the real world who enjoy wearing our H silks and cashmere daily. I must admit I've seen H neckties & pochettes a plenty (CSGMs - just twice!), but now that I think about it, I have yet to encounter someone wearing an H silk carré! :huh: You're correct -- that is sad!
I've not been checking tPF lately but was pleasantly surprised to see the Scarves tag - it's really helpful as those are the H threads I check most regularly.

Agree with you and with ninakt. With all the sales online and in store, I would expect to see more H scarves and shawls out and about. I mainly see twillies on bag handles, a couple of CSGMs at evening functions, and a couple of scarves at events like concerts or graduations. Those of you who regularly wear your H textiles add a lot to brighten up the day in your communities, I am sure!

@ninakt There must really be very few of us scarfies out in the real world who enjoy wearing our H silks and cashmere daily. I must admit I've seen H neckties & pochettes a plenty (CSGMs - just twice!), but now that I think about it, I have yet to encounter someone wearing an H silk carré! :huh: You're correct -- that is sad!
I agree litchi but in a way I quite like that. Market saturation with and trendiness of an object tend to kill it and make it old-fashioned after a year so I quite like the fact that you don't see them often here. Where I live everybody has a beige, shiny monogrammed LV shawl as obvious labels still seem to sell the most. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing and I feel it's such a shame when the drawers at H are bursting with colour. Ah well, more choice for me at the scarf counter!

I've not been checking tPF lately but was pleasantly surprised to see the Scarves tag - it's really helpful as those are the H threads I check most regularly.

Agree with you and with ninakt. With all the sales online and in store, I would expect to see more H scarves and shawls out and about. I mainly see twillies on bag handles, a couple of CSGMs at evening functions, and a couple of scarves at events like concerts or graduations. Those of you who regularly wear your H textiles add a lot to brighten up the day in your communities, I am sure!
I agree litchi but in a way I quite like that. Market saturation with and trendiness of an object tend to kill it and make it old-fashioned after a year so I quite like the fact that you don't see them often here. Where I live everybody has a beige, shiny monogrammed LV shawl as obvious labels still seem to sell the most. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing and I feel it's such a shame when the drawers at H are bursting with colour. Ah well, more choice for me at the scarf counter!
@GoStanford, @Pautinka,
I guess scarfies are born, not made. :lol: People may buy scarves, but only true scarfies will wear them regularly.