Discovering that handheld bags are not for me..

My preference is for hand- or arm- bags, and I really do like carrying them at the elbow; there's a 'pocketbooky' vibe I enjoy. I have shoulder bags too, but the strap(s) must be just long enough to 'swing' the bag onto the shoulder one-handed--and not so long that the bag swings loose. There's nothing more annoying than having a bag thudding against your hip! (Well, maybe a few other things . . .) I've never been comfortable with the cross-body, 'messenger' style, although I totally understand its utility. I guess it's a case of form over function for me!

I like the aesthetics of handheld bags more - I don't have many shoulder bags - but I like the convenience and comfort of having them on my shoulder (particularly if weighty!).

This means I usually stick my handheld bags over my shoulder anyway (which probably looks stupid!) - I can carry my Edith as a shoulder bag...

i love how hand held bags look; but i cant stand wearing them... i have 4 year old twins, and i just find that i need to wear bags at least on my shoulder, but more often cross body. just feels right for me.

Gah I love when somethings fits so perfectly on my shoulder. I learned this the hard way, but I still have a hand-held bag I can't give up. Clutches that are wristlets also help the hands free problem. :biggrin:

I use both! I love handheld bags when I don't have much to carry (like when I go shopping :P) or if I'm wearing a bulky coat and shoulder bags tend to fall off, but I totally lean towards choosing shoulder bags when I need to take tons of stuff with me. I'm a huge fan of LV so it's good that I love handheld bags (love the Speedy)!

I have both.....satchels and shoulder bags, and even though I love my satchels, I find myself changing out to another shoulder bag when I want to make a switch. I use my satchels, but not that often, and I think that when I make a conscious effort to think about it, I definitely like shoulder bags better.

I've reached the point where it MUST go over the shoulder AND look good (and not drag the floor) if I carry it in hand or on the crook of my arm. Gosh, I feel demanding.

I am solely, 100% shoulder-bag girl. Don't get me wrong, I love handheld bags, esp. many of the LV styles, but they are just not practical for me. :crybaby:It makes me sad because I do love the Alma, Duomo, but I tried wearing a handheld bag once and it drove me absolutely insane:cursing:- I need my hands to grab my keys, hold coffee, shop, pull out my subway pass, etc. So aesthetically I think that both kinds are wonderful but from a practical standpoint, only shoulder for me.

I'm more of a hand-held & messenger bag kind of gal especially in the cooler months because a shoulder bag always slips off when I wear a bulky coat but I will carry a shoulder bag during the warmer months.

There are so many bags with shorter handles that I love, but I'm forced to stay away from them because I need to be able to throw it over my shoulder. Carrying it in my hand or forearm for extended periods of time gets to be a serious pain. It doesn't need to be as practical as a backpack or fanny pack (!) but I do need to be able to carry it for more than 15 minutes.

I am definitely a shoulder bag girl. That's what I prefer. But I love the doctor's satchel style so I do have a few of those (LV Speedy, LAMB Mandeville). I tend to carry those on days when I'm not doing a lot of walking around and the bag will be mostly sitting with me, not being held. Then I use my shoulder bags for stuff like shopping, etc. when I'd rather not have one of my hands tied up holding a bag.