Discover card chargeback issues, advice please?

sanatra

Aug 15, 2008
To make a long story short........

My sister called me asking me for advice on how to handle her situation with a huge $600 SNAD.

40 days after her purchase and no help from the seller, she opens a case with eBay and send the item back.

The seller refused the package, therefore delivery is not established and PayPal rules in seller's favor.

2 weeks later and many phone calls to PP and no appeal is granted.

45 days is up.

She pays with her discover card and files a chargeback and resends the item back as instructed by discover.

Seller signs for and receives package. Proof is in the tracking info.

She receives a letter in the mail from discover that the original seller claims to not get the item back and the reversal on her card is removed.

She now has no money and no item.

What's someone to do in a situation like this? I feel really bad for her, she's a 22 year old student without a clue.

Why in the h3ll would discover side with them and not my sister? Is there any recourse?

Thanks everyone in advance.

So sorry for your sister's trouble, but I don't understand. Has she sent the tracking information along with the seller's receipt to Discover? How can the seller claim non-receipt if tracking show receipt?

For future problems. Always wait for the result of the ebay claim before shipping. Had they found in your sister's favor, and the seller refused the return, your sister would have gotten her money back. At least that is what I've been told by ebay reps.

she opens a case with eBay and send the item back.

The seller refused the package, therefore delivery is not established and PayPal rules in seller's favor.
Did your sister escalate the case?

if it was never escalated, that might be why she lost the case. If the dispute had been escalated and the returned item showed as refused by the seller, your sister would have gotten her refund and the item.

(I don't want to imply that having both the money and the item is ethical, but when one party refuses it, that's what happens.)

She told me she escalated it and provided tracking info once pp requested it. Seller then refused the package and case ruled against my sister. Now discover is giving her trouble because regardless of the tracking info the seller claims no receipt.

If pp and discover won't help, who should she talk to? Bbb complaint? USPS mail fraud? Sister got in touch with discover again and was told they need more proof. I don't even know what that means if the only thing she has to offer is a tracking number with her address and name for signature on it.

Tell her to call Discover and speak to a supervisor. If she has a d.c. and a signature showing that it was signed for, that should be all they need.

I have never had any issues with Discover and have used it pretty much exclusively for about 20 years. Your sister needs to call the 1-800 number and speak to a customer service person about this. I have never talked to someone on the phone from Discover who didnt' know what they were doing, so hopefully she can get this resolved. She needs to tell them she has proof of delivery. They will eventually side with her.

I suspect that what's happening here is an issue with PayPal and not the credit card, though Discover is who she'll need to call for a resolution. Since the original payment was made through PP, when your sister filed her chargeback, it will still show up on the seller's PP - PP will deal with the chargeback on the seller's behalf. The seller has probably re-submitted the original tracking showing the package was refused/not delivered to her, and PayPal has sent that to Discover.

As others have mentioned, ask to speak to a supervisor at Discover. Give them both pieces of tracking info that clearly have dates displayed: the first where she refused it, and then the second, later delivery where she signed for it.

I'm meeting her for coffee today and she will call discover again. If the rep doesn't help, we will try and get in touch with a supervisor. Thanks everyone, I'll update with results later.

Just an update: after a pretty short conversation with a rep, they've decided to refund my sister her money. At least someone realized the idiocy of the situation. Thanks girls!