Disappointed in my metallic Zoe and SAs comments

prettycitygirl

Metro
O.G.
Jun 15, 2009
:shucks:

I only had my large silver metallic zoe for 2-weeks and had to return her back to the outlet. I carried her for 10-hours tops and she had horrible color transfer! The SA told me this is 'very common with all Coach bags'...Really?

Being a newbie Coach lover, I don't know much about these bags other than what my eyes tell me. I buy what I love and am excited about carrying my new goodies! I mean, isn't that why we buy them - to carry them and enjoy them?

I feel more than disapointed in the thought of spending hundreds of dollars on a bag that only looks good for less than 10-hours. I've spent 1K in the last 60-days on bags and accessories and I'm heartbroken to think this is money was not well spent, as these items will not stand the test of time - heck, they won't even stand average use!

Please tell me that what the SA told me is NOT true!

This newbie feels a bit jaded...

Hm, not sure about this particular bag, but I do know others have had issues with color transfer. Especially on lighter colored bags. So sorry this happened to you. I hope you can find answers to your question.

Please tell me that what the SA told me is NOT true! I do not have a Zoe but this is not a issue for any of my bags... I have heard of some tPF have color transfer issue but it is few and far between..

I've had it happen once to a lighter bag. If it hits your hips where your jeans are , then most likely yes it will happen. I do try to avoid light color bags for that reason. If I really love it then I'll just have to remember not to wear jeans when I wear that bag. I was able to get most of the color transfer off with Apple Guarde.

Overall, this can happen with any brand bag not just coach. I know it stinks, but I have to be wiser when choosing bags.

Was your silver Zoe the large one? My silver patent medium zoe is short enough it doesn't hit my hips so I'm glad. My large Zoe is black so no worries there.

Don't feel jaded..... :biggrin::smile::smile:

Thanks all for your replies...

Q, it was the silver metallic zoe, not the patent. I went through a dozen zoe's trying the find the perfect one for me and I was really excited about the silver zoe! Totally bummed the whole thing.

I *think* she has somewhat misinformed you about the color transfer issue when she said ALL Coach bags instead of some/certain Coach bags. I doubt ALL Coach bags have color transfer issue cause seriously, the ones I have, don't. It's only some that are prone to color transfer compared to others.

One thing though... Did you know that the metallic paint on your Zoe might peel? I heard some people had that issue and I was also advised by a fellow tPFer that it's best to stay away from the metallic Zoe when I was considering getting the metallic silver one back then.

I have the Ergo satchel with the metallic bronze trim (which I *ADORE*). I'd never had metallic purses before, either, so I didn't know that it can fade with time and friction until I noticed it many uses later. There are parts on the handles where the color's been rubbed down. It was initially disheartening b/c I had no idea the color does that. I still love the bag and continue to use it, but I take it as a lesson to take note of metallic colors.

My first outlet purchase was a lilac hobo with suede trim; being my first, I didn't think about the lightness of the color, nor did I have any idea how easily dark colors can transfer onto suede. So the suede on the lower back got dirty and I had no idea what to do until recently when someone on this forum talked about suede. Nail filer and 10 minutes later, it looks pretty good; but if I had I known at the time, I would've probably gotten the darker magenta color and been more mindful.

But anything from bags to clothes to shoes are going to get wear-and-tear over time and use (especially based on lightness of color and fabric). So don't feel too discouraged. You're not alone and have learned something very valuable and can totally use it to your advantage on future shopping trips. And when in doubt, the Coachies on this forum seem like great consultants :biggrin:

Thanks all for your replies...

Q, it was the silver metallic zoe, not the patent. I went through a dozen zoe's trying the find the perfect one for me and I was really excited about the silver zoe! Totally bummed the whole thing.

Oh sorry, what I meant was, was it the large? Cuz large drops longer and will hit hips vs the Medium is shorter.
I almost bought the madison magazine tote in the light green at the outlet this weekend, but then I realized it hits hips and didn't want to mess with color transfer and put it back.

Color transfer can be an issue with leather bags from any brand. Type of leather, color, treatments etc can affect the likelihood of it happening. Also, it's recommended that you wash any dark denim prior to wearing it. Also, it's not just denim that can transfer color but they are the main cause.

I've been having a lot of problems with the pearl leather treatments. They don't seem to penetrate the leather and rub off even from just being in the dustbag! A "closed finish" i.e. patent or finished leather, usually wears a lot better because the pores of the leather have been saturated and sealed with the finish treatment. An aniline or semi- aniline finish is much more delicate but leaves the leather softer and more supple. It's a trade off- durability vs. soft hand.

It's not just Coach - color transfer can happen with almost any kind of bag depending on material, material treatment, and color.

My Tokidoki Gioco in Pirata has some color transfer from jeans or clothing but since it's so colorful and I carry it the same way every time, it's not too noticeable. My Signature Stripe shoulder bag has a bit of color transfer as well.

I haven't had any issues with leather but I don't purchase many lighter colored leather items. I'm sure it can happen to any brand though.