Disappointed in Coach lately.

I guess the reasoning is that not everyone want to carry heavy staples of bags because of the leather, and some may have health issues that limit the use of heavy bags or heavy ANYTHING. Over time, since our bodies do tend to go the "downward spiral" I'm sure they don't want to lose their aging population (call aging what you will in years) because they are making bags that don't provide the right use and flexibility.

I'm glad I got the few Legacy pieces I have, and a few of others, even though I find myself even with the Legacy carrying more weight for the crap I put in it than the weight of the leather.

Yeah, I agree. I like some styles, but I don't want to buy a bag that feels (or looks!) cheap. I was happy with the Zoe, but I even feel like my Sabrina has pretty thin leather.

I've been hunting for a chocolate brown logo bag that's NOT sateen. I honestly can't stand the look and feel of the shiny sateen, and I'd lay down serious cash for the right bag. I love the look of the chocolate brown Tribeca, but I already have the same bag in berry and the shiny sateen puts me off.

Also, what's with the cloth straps on the smaller cross body bags? They look cheap. Even the leather bags have fabric straps. Give me leather straps! I look at them every time I go into the Coach store, and I would have bought one by now if not for that fact.

ETA: just noticed on the site that the Brooke crossbody appears to have a leather strap. I didn't see it at the shop today, but maybe there's hope!

Last edited:
Although I'm new to the forum, I've been purchasing Coach bags since the early '80's (and paying retail until I found out about outlets last month!).

When I look at my old bags, there is not a lot of difference in the quality of the leather now. I love the butter soft glove leather, but my old bags also have very soft leather that is a bit thicker. Over all I think the quality has improved from the 80's.

I am not a fan of the bags now being manufactured in China.

I have purchased lots of different brands of bags (as I'm sure ya'll have too) from bags that cost 10 times what Coach does to bags that cost about the same, and I have to say the quality of Coach is still much, much better than any of the others even Louis Vuitton (gasp!! yes!!), Fendi, Dior, Gucci. Coach is a better quality bag! I even have two Hermes bags that Coach puts to shame. So obviously I think Coach is great. Sorry if I rambled on too long.

I've been hunting for a chocolate brown logo bag that's NOT sateen. I honestly can't stand the look and feel of the shiny sateen, and I'd lay down serious cash for the right bag. I love the look of the chocolate brown Tribeca, but I already have the same bag in berry and the shiny sateen puts me off.

Also, what's with the cloth straps on the smaller cross body bags? They look cheap. Even the leather bags have fabric straps. Give me leather straps! I look at them every time I go into the Coach store, and I would have bought one by now if not for that fact.

ETA: just noticed on the site that the Brooke crossbody appears to have a leather strap. I didn't see it at the shop today, but maybe there's hope!

I could be wrong, but I think the chocolate signature Zoe is not sateen.

It's funny that this thread was just started a few days ago, and now we've got the Kristen line.

I'm sorry and hate to "rag" on a brand that we are all here to love but COME OFF IT with the price points!!! They keep going UP, and UP, and UP and they KNOW 90% of the incomes in the US right now are going down, and down, and down!!! Coach made a name for themselves by making good, durable, quality bags at an AFFORDABLE price!!! I remember when it was a BIG DEAL that the Gigi & Lily bags were between $700-$1000. Now it seems like if you don't want signature, and you want any size to your bag...that's what you can EXPECT to pay!!! I will say that I thought the Ali hobo's etc had a good price point, and the Tribeca isn't too bad either. Now we've got Kristen with the BIG prices tags & Cambridge (which I LOVE) but the bags I like are $800 + tax!!! It used to be that there would be a couple few bags with larger price tags, now it's the other way around!!!

I guess I'm just a little frustrated. It seems like they are trying to get a little to "designer" and I feel like I'm being left behind. Like they are trying for a different type of buyer, yet leaving nothing for the one's who have loved them for some time. I don't like that it seems with every line they take another step AWAY from the small details that we've all grown to know, love, and look forward to. I thought the last legacy bags were bad...I guess I hadn't seen anything yet!!! (***Sorry to those that liked last years legacy. I'm NOT trying to offend!!!)

Now, new turnlocks??? They've been using the exact same turnlocks for YEARS!!! I thought we all loved them?! Guess not.

Anyway, I'm BEYOND disappointed. I think this is exactly why we are always stalking ebay, Bonanzle & other re-sale options. We want the older bags!!! What happened to Bleeker? Legacy? Ergo????

I think it just sucks!!!

I feel like this about Coach some times but right now I just love the styles and the Fall line is gorgeous. I think this is a good thing if not we would be buying bags 24-7

I felt this way about Coach for about a year. To be honest I havn't bought a Coach bag in maybe 2 years?! The funny thing is I started visiting this forum and fell in love with Coach all over again. I am saving to buy a new bag but I think I will go to the outlet or ebay becuase i like the older styles.

I also have been purchasing since the 80's like (post #21) when the leather was more substantial than now. Back then, women didn't carry purses the size of luggage as is the current trend, so perhaps this was one of the reasons for the switch to less substantial leathers by Coach. Simply, the older leather would be too heavy for the new huge styles.

You are right on! The make more money by making a cheaper style that people will want because it's NEW. Some people dont like to wait for factory items because they sell out so quick.

Also, I understand the pleat thing. They have been doing pleats since the Ergo line, and maybe before that?!

They are trying to streamline to a cheaper bag due to the economy.

There may be a higher end, more expensive Coach line coming out in the future.

Disappointed in Coach yes, look at the workmanship of the bags now and the bags 2-3 yrs ago. the zippers back then were heavier, better quality as was the hardware and the leather. not just heavier but better quality on all bags. the hardware now and the zippers are so cheap. I know they are trying to cut costs but I think the bags will not hold up in the long run. I think coach in throwing a lot of cute styles out there but they should think quality not Quantity just my thought.