Disappointed in Coach lately.

midnight05

O.G.
Sep 25, 2006
For at least a year, I just haven't found anything at Coach that I like at all. I've bought two bags from the Legacy Collection (Satchel, Gigi Tote) from ebay. I love them. I wish they'd come out with some nice leather ones that didn't have pleats and were more in the tote family. I don't know....

There have been a few new (post-2008) styles to catch my eye, but the leather has been disappointingly insubstantial, and I just don't carry the fabric/sig bags.

My most recently released bags are the 2008 legacy tote and satchel, with the thin garcia leather. The only reason I got them was because they were an outlet steal at $179. At that price range, I can live with it if something damages the leather. But in the current lines, the price points and leather quality are not working for me at all.

At least I am getting a chance to simply enjoy the bags I already have!

I couldn't agree more! The only bag that has been worth anything (in my mind) this year is the Braided Zoe with nappa leather that retailed for 1k. That bag has leather that is TDF. Certainly wouldn't have paid the full price on that one...but found an outlet deal. I'm just not a fan of this cheaper leather and Coach bags being made in CHINA. And by the way...the 1k bag...yup- made in China. I hate to say it, but I think I've moved on from Coach. :shucks:

ohh yes, i know what you mean. I m a little disappointed in the cheap quality that coach seems to be making right now, plain, simple, thin and cheap feeling. I wish they'd make nice rich leather items like they did last year or the year before that (lindsay, lily, peyton) i bought the tribeca bags, and they are pretty cute, but the leather is soooo thin... i wish it was thicker, like the carlys leather for example... oh well, maybe its time to wait untill coach changes into something nicer...

Here's another vote for the old Coach! Other than a Zoe, I've not bought anything new from them in over a year. I've been stocking up on the Legacy and Bleecker lines. I MUCH prefer the thicker leathers and heavy hardware.

My problem is less with the styles and more with the shiny, pebbled leather. To me it has a very delicate city look to it. I think it has its place and obviously a lot of people love it. But, I want to carry my Coach bag to the stable, the farmer's market, the ball game, etc. I want it to be of sturdy leather with a matte finish. I also want all the cool details, braids, pouches, fringe, studs...

I'm willing to pay for the leather I need. I'd rather get 1 expensive bag each season, or 2 a year that are really fabulous, than a half dozen bags that don't fit my lifestyle... Is there any chance that pieced Kira is of a thick leather, sadly, it looks to have a shine...

Hello,

I have been a fan of Coach for several years now and even though I know they are known for their leather.....I don't love heavy heavy leather bags. I had one all leather bag, the Coach Legacy Thompson Slim Tote, that thing weighed a ton. It also hurt my arm to carry it because of the braiding on the straps. My fave Coach bag that I do not have anymore was the Slim Carly. That bag was awesome.

I like my Coach without all the major hardware and the contussles and wuzzles on it....unless it increases the shoulder drop. :smile: One of my life missions is to eventually get a part time job at a Coach Store and see the other side of the business. This brand, despite my issues with paying $400.00 for a bag (ummm, no) is that it is the ONLY handbag designer I would work for.

To Coach!!

storm

With exception of Zoe, I have felt the same way. I prefer 06-07 Legacy leather bags (even though they are heavier and I have a bad shoulder). They are sturdy and clean up easily.

I just noticed a small spot of something coming off my medium chocolate Zoe that I just got last week and it is so upsetting. I don't know what I will do about it yet. I wonder if same thing will happen to my black and petrol Zoe

I like some of the new stuff, but i'm not crazy about most of it...I used to love almost every single thing they put out and now I really have to search for something to catch my eye.

As far as the leather goes, I don't really mind thinner leather just because it's lighter and a bit easier to carry (if you're not used to a really heavy bag, that is!). From what i've noticed after "following" Coach the past few years, they really go through cycles...it's like there are two main groups of fans and they please one group (the more classic, heavy leather, etc loving people) one season, and the other (the more bright, fun, trendy loving people) another season.

Basically, if you wait long enough, they'll eventually release something that you'll fall in love with :yes:

I have to say, I kind of agree. I like some of the bags and there are a lot of great designs still. But Coach has me straying lately to explore more of the other brands. Rebecca Minkoff has my attention right now with the fabulous leather. I still come looking at Coach, but I have lost the big excitement for them that I once had. I do still love Coach, but I am not feeling as loyal. I think when they get some of the inconsistencies fixed that will help. I really wanted to find the mff turnlock tote, but I am sick to death of having to turn to ebay and over pay in a big way to get a bag I want because Coach doesn't want to stock all of the outlets. I called ALL of the outlets in my state and NONE of them have it. :nogood:

My problem is less with the styles and more with the shiny, pebbled leather. To me it has a very delicate city look to it. I think it has its place and obviously a lot of people love it. But, I want to carry my Coach bag to the stable, the farmer's market, the ball game, etc. I want it to be of sturdy leather with a matte finish. I also want all the cool details, braids, pouches, fringe, studs...

I'm willing to pay for the leather I need. I'd rather get 1 expensive bag each season, or 2 a year that are really fabulous, than a half dozen bags that don't fit my lifestyle... Is there any chance that pieced Kira is of a thick leather, sadly, it looks to have a shine...

Unfortunately, the Kira has glazed leather! Some pieces have more texture than others, which seem specific to the dye color involved. IMO the leather is pretty thin. It's nice enough, but still not my fav, as I also don't care for the thin glazed leather... but this has been a trend not just with Coach. I'm with you on the thick and more matte leather...or at least without the glaze!

I'm also with Nancy! Legacy and some of the older Bleecker bags...this is what I like. Even my leather Zoes have thicker nicer leather than some of my more expensive bags.