Disappointed DB service :(

Marlies

May 18, 2019
Hi all, I was so excited to finally post in the D&B board as I’ve been longing literally for 3 years for a Florentine mini satchel. But... I’m sad to say it wasn’t easy. I finally caved and purchased my bag on Dec 5. It arrived yesterday! Now I know there are some delays due to COVID, but the lack of communication was the disappointment. No one called to inform me of the delay. And since I’m in Canada I had to order through Borderfree. The BF email I received indicates that should you have any questions about your order you should email or call D&B. The contac5 details they provided were inaccurat... they didn’t work!! So I started to worry that I order my bag on a fake site. :sad:. I called DB using the contact number on their site and after 45 minutes someone came on to tell me they are out of stock. So fine, I accepted this and continued to wait. Then FINALLY my bag arrived yesterday. I was so super excited that what I had longed for had finally come only for me to find a perfect circle stain on the bag :sad: AND the colour of the bag on the site is NOT at all what I received. They called it slate but it appears lighter blue. I spent another 35 minutes on with DB for them to tell me a supervisor will call me since I’m in Canada To reorder a bag for me at the same price I paid.
so not impressed so far with my first and only experience with DB.
ps: also now considering swapping for a navy blue.

1BC00007-1CB7-4162-912A-036E94AD4159.jpeg

59E72BB1-3DF7-4774-A988-A314F67D3F79.jpeg

37B40EA2-3189-4BC8-9DD7-990946E81988.jpeg

I have the navy blue, I think it is in the 13" size, and I carry it quite a bit.

I am sorry to hear you had problems with D&B. Fortunately, this has never happened to me, but I have read similar problems here at TPF with D&B customer service.

Reactions: Marlies
Sorry to hear about your problems with DB. I also returned a slate florentine wallet. The color on DB site was not accurate at all...to me it was gray when I saw it...returned it immediately and got a navy blue wallet and domed buckle satchel instead.

Attachments

• 16110074037662888507552498339918.jpg
    16110074037662888507552498339918.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 14
I have the navy blue, I think it is in the 13" size, and I carry it quite a bit.

I am sorry to hear you had problems with D&B. Fortunately, this has never happened to me, but I have read similar problems here at TPF with D&B customer service.

Hi G.Allyn, thank you for your reply. I was torn between the navy and this slate because I saw some YT vids where the navy was so dark it was almost black. Do you have a pic of yours you could share. ?

Sorry to hear about your problems with DB. I also returned a slate florentine wallet. The color on DB site was not accurate at all...to me it was gray when I saw it...returned it immediately and got a navy blue wallet and domed buckle satchel instead.
Purple flower...Whoa! That is a nice colour!! I can totally see the blue and not black as I thought it would appear. i don’t mind the gray they sent me but wasn’t expecting it. It’s like when you take a sip of milk but thought it was Coca-Cola. LOL.

The color Slate just was not for me...just seemed a dull gray...BUT I was expecting a bluish tone so was just shocked. LAVENDERJUNKIE suggested Navy, she was dead on for me. LOVE IT. Now I want a flo navy medium satchel...waiting for a sale!! I really like that I don't have to worry about color transfer and stains with navy as much too.

Purple flower...Whoa! That is a nice colour!! I can totally see the blue and not black as I thought it would appear. i don’t mind the gray they sent me but wasn’t expecting it. It’s like when you take a sip of milk but thought it was Coca-Cola. LOL.
I see the circular stain...I'd return. Shouldn't be like that at all.

The color Slate just was not for me...just seemed a dull gray...BUT I was expecting a bluish tone so was just shocked. LAVENDERJUNKIE suggested Navy, she was dead on for me. LOVE IT. Now I want a flo navy medium satchel...waiting for a sale!! I really like that I don't have to worry about color transfer and stains with navy as much too.

I didn’t even think of colour transfer. This is my first Florentine leather so didn’t occur to me. I assume I have to condition then treat the leather upon receipt? I was thinking the navy would show scratches easier but perhaps not.

Yeah no thought that stain was weird. Looks like something about the size of a quarter was left on it or something. I took pics in case DB asked. Now I’m saddened because I have to wait yet again! :sad:

Conditioning is a personal choice, some do or don't. I shy away from the lighter colors....except natural! That's my love...as soon as I get a natural I spray water repellent on it immediately to block stains.

Marlies: sorry you are having such a hassle. I know it takes the joy out of a handbag you are
looking forward to getting and using. Dooney and Bourke makes excellent handbags, but their
customer service often leaves us frustrated. And being in Canada, I'm sure your logistics are
so much more difficult.

As for Florentine leather....the Navy is a beautiful color. It's very rich and the zipper tape accent
is done in a red color, so the bag has some extra design interest. Also, the stitching on the belting
is in a lighter color for contrast. I point this out only so that you can look at it and be sure you
like those details. I think the Navy Florentine is one of the nicest colors.

I have a lot of different colors of Florentine leather and they are all lovely in their own way.
My favorites are Navy, black, and red. I recently got the Flo wallet in slate. I like the color,
but it does not compare to navy, black or red.

Dark color Florentine handbags are more carefree, in my opinion. They don't show dirt
or pick up color transfer from dark clothing. These can be issues with lighter colors because
Florentine leather has no surface coatings or waterproofing. I've also found the scratches and
water spots are much less obvious on darker Florentine.

I don't condition or waterproof my Florentine handbags when they are new. I know many ladies
do. But Dooney doesn't recommend it and I'm afraid I'll have a problem. After I've had a bag
for about 2 years, I'm brave enough to condition it. I had a problem on only 1 bag out of many.

Marlies: sorry you are having such a hassle. I know it takes the joy out of a handbag you are
looking forward to getting and using. Dooney and Bourke makes excellent handbags, but their
customer service often leaves us frustrated. And being in Canada, I'm sure your logistics are
so much more difficult.

As for Florentine leather....the Navy is a beautiful color. It's very rich and the zipper tape accent
is done in a red color, so the bag has some extra design interest. Also, the stitching on the belting
is in a lighter color for contrast. I point this out only so that you can look at it and be sure you
like those details. I think the Navy Florentine is one of the nicest colors.

I have a lot of different colors of Florentine leather and they are all lovely in their own way.
My favorites are Navy, black, and red. I recently got the Flo wallet in slate. I like the color,
but it does not compare to navy, black or red.

Dark color Florentine handbags are more carefree, in my opinion. They don't show dirt
or pick up color transfer from dark clothing. These can be issues with lighter colors because
Florentine leather has no surface coatings or waterproofing. I've also found the scratches and
water spots are much less obvious on darker Florentine.

I don't condition or waterproof my Florentine handbags when they are new. I know many ladies
do. But Dooney doesn't recommend it and I'm afraid I'll have a problem. After I've had a bag
for about 2 years, I'm brave enough to condition it. I had a problem on only 1 bag out of many.

Thank you so much Lavenderjunkie for the details about conditioning, etc... and Yes, it certainly does take the fun and excitement out of getting a new bag... especially one I’ve waited so long for. And being in Canada does make it a challenge. We can’t even purchase from ILD site :sad:. They should really step up their game and at the very least post an accurate picture of their slate colour. I just went on the site and navy blue is no longer an option :sad:. Of course!

Hi G.Allyn, thank you for your reply. I was torn between the navy and this slate because I saw some YT vids where the navy was so dark it was almost black. Do you have a pic of yours you could share. ?

Hello,

I took a picture, but it is not worth posting, because even Mr.G. (home working remotely), says it looks black. IRL it looks navy. It is a dark navy, but does not look black. I have a pair of Aquatalia suede boots that are a dark navy and they do look almost black. The D&B navy is dark and rich, but only suggests the kind of dark blue you see in a classic man's wool suit.

I wish the picture came out better, but I could not get the lighting correct for a good representation of the leather.

Hello,

I took a picture, but it is not worth posting, because even Mr.G. (home working remotely), says it looks black. IRL it looks navy. It is a dark navy, but does not look black. I have a pair of Aquatalia suede boots that are a dark navy and they do look almost black. The D&B navy is dark and rich, but only suggests the kind of dark blue you see in a classic man's wool suit.

I wish the picture came out better, but I could not get the lighting correct for a good representation of the leather.
Thank you so much for the effort. I too find it hard sometimes to capture colours with my phone. Appreciate the feedback. :smile:

I agree with LJ on red and black and navy....of course have to add Natural...just delicious. Most of my flo collection is Natural...several chestnut...which has grown on me....I am leaning more towards buying 2nd hand then from DB and ILD. I don't like the hassle with them and I really enjoy the more broken in leather. I have been fortunate to get amazing deals on ebay...I haven't paid more than $120 for medium satchels in great condition on ebay. Recently purchased a natural Bristol for less than 100 on ebay.

I agree with LJ on red and black and navy....of course have to add Natural...just delicious. Most of my flo collection is Natural...several chestnut...which has grown on me....I am leaning more towards buying 2nd hand then from DB and ILD. I don't like the hassle with them and I really enjoy the more broken in leather. I have been fortunate to get amazing deals on ebay...I haven't paid more than $120 for medium satchels in great condition on ebay. Recently purchased a natural Bristol for less than 100 on ebay.

Omg! You’re so lucky! I find it hard to find used handbags on eBay for a great price. I’ve seen a few but by the time I convert from USD to CAD it’s about the same price as a new one! i don’t find many Canadian used bags on eBay unfortunately:sad:. I too love pre loved bags as they have been “worn” in a bit.