Disappionted in the Mulberry Alexa oversized, Balenciaga as my next buy?

Lykke

May 31, 2011
Hey ladies :smile:

2 months ago I bought a Mulberry Alexa OS in oak (pre loved in mint condition). I thought I was gonna LOVE it, but sadly I ended up being REALLY disappointed in the leather and the shape of the bag in general :sad: The buffalo leather just felt so thin and cheap.. Didnt like it at all!

Today i waved goodbye to the lexi, she went to a new and better home;) So.
I am now thinking about buying a Bal City classic in brown. But I am having second thoughts after the "cheap feel" of the OS alexa leather. I prefer thicker leathers.

How is the Balenciaga leathers compared to the buffalo alexa? (Oak)
I have read about older bals being of better quality leather wise, should I look for a pre owned (mint) one?
How is the durability of the bal compared to mulberry alexa os? :smile:

Thanks!

Welcome! I have one OS Alexa and a few Bal bags so I might be able to provide you some input.

My Alexa is black soft buffalo. The leather looks pretty thick though. Since I don't have it in Oak, I am not sure if there is a difference between black and oak.

Bal leather varies so you really have to be careful about the season and color of the bag. For instance, my 2012 F/W Cassis' leather is thick and chewy, my 2014 S/S Noir (black) is shiny, distressed and thin, and my newly acquired 2013 LE Metallic Marine is super soft and buttery. Can't comment on the chevre leather yet since my most recent purchase is still on the way. From what I heard chevre is supposed to be the best, but most chevre bags are from 2007 and earlier.

My overall feeling is that Alexa's leather appears more rough (a natural untreated look), and Bal's leather is more buttery and delicate. None of them are as thick as Chloe's bags which probably have the thickest toughest leather. Not sure what your preferences are.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! I just hate when I am really looking forward to something and then the final results are a disappointment.

Catash made some really good points and I agree! I owned a Balenciaga a few years back and loved it! I had a Mulberry Roxanne last year and loved it! I still have my work horse Chloe Betty satchel and love it! All of the leathers were great, but each had their own characteristics. The softest, by far, was the Balenciaga. I just loved the feel of it against my skin. The Mulberry could take a beating and ask for more...same with my Chloe. They were/are beautiful bags but each had their own feel. None of them felt cheap though...ugh, that would be the worst!

I think you need to really study the bag you are thinking of getting and then wait until one pops up that has the leather that appeals to you. I know this is the advice I got from the ladies here and I am so glad I listened. It took months of waiting but I now have my HG on its way to me and I couldn't be happier!!

Good luck!!!

Your oak Alexa, was it the older buffalo leather or the newer polished buffalo, which is very thick.
Most recent Bal leathers can be pretty thin, I recommend going to a boutique or department store to check out the bak style and feel. Bals are slouchy,that's what's lovely about the style, but there is variation in leathers over the seasons,even subsequent batches in ine season can be very different. If you want a thicker leather, the chèvre ones (Hamilton, metallic edge) are also a good option.

Thanks for your opinions!! I realize I need to be very careful about buying when it comes to year/season. Gonna try to read up about it. In general, should I look for bags from 2007 or earlier? How rare are those to find in GOOD condition?
The mulberry was the old soft buffalo :sad:

Thanks for your opinions!! I realize I need to be very careful about buying when it comes to year/season. Gonna try to read up about it. In general, should I look for bags from 2007 or earlier? How rare are those to find in GOOD condition?
The mulberry was the old soft buffalo :sad:

Hamilton and Metallic Edge are recent chevre. ME is a current version. The leather looks a bit stiff. Besides, there are not that many colors to choose from. Perhaps it will break in beautifully. You can go to a boutique or department store to check it out.

Oldie chevre don't come by very often but they do exist.