Disabled and sad

ophousewife

May 23, 2012
I'm probably breaking some kind of rule but I need advice. I'm newly disabled at the age of 31 because of progressing MS. I have an amazing, to me, collection of bags that I'm finding myself completely unable to use. I'm frustrated. I don't know how to make bags more useable when I'm also using my cane. Crossbody throws off my balance, hand carry is now impossible and shoulder bags hurt. What am I to do with my bags? They're all sentimental and I have suffered greatly for them.

I am not sure if this would throw the weight of the cane off but could a small basket be installed on the cane to hold a small bag? Or a walker with a small holder in front? I am sorry I am not an OT or PT and I wish I was of more help.

I've loaded my bag with nothing but my phone, a cles and a lightly loaded cosmetic bag. It stills throws me off balance. I use mostly a speedy bando 30 or Turenne MM as crossbody.
I am way too fat for a belt bag. Let's be honest, anyone above a size 6 isn't going to make the cut.

I’m sorry about your struggles. Maybe you could sell the shoulder bags to perhaps purchase a back pack.
I have considered this. I do not think my husband would be ok with it. Everything I have was gifted to me, often in times of medical stress. Irony.
I am working on finding a budget for a backpack. Unfortunately I can't even try one on. They are never in stock!

I have considered this. I do not think my husband would be ok with it. Everything I have was gifted to me, often in times of medical stress. Irony.
I am working on finding a budget for a backpack. Unfortunately I can't even try one on. They are never in stock!
I see. Maybe you could try searching for a pre loved back pack.

I've loaded my bag with nothing but my phone, a cles and a lightly loaded cosmetic bag. It stills throws me off balance. I use mostly a speedy bando 30 or Turenne MM as crossbody.
I am way too fat for a belt bag. Let's be honest, anyone above a size 6 isn't going to make the cut.
I hear you. I am a size 8 nowadays and I don't think I can pull off a belt bag. The crossbodies you mention are on the bigger side. That may be why they are still throwing you off balance even when lightly loaded. Do you own any smaller crossbodies?

You could either sell what you have to fund something that will suit your needs better, OR, save them in hopes of a remission or medical cure. Do you have a Pochette or Mini Pochette? Maybe either of those would be light enough to not bother your balance. If all else fails, just use your SLG's. :heart:

Reactions: insidemysoul
Ugh, I'm so sorry. Having gone through a medical issue myself over the last month and not able to carry a bag for about half that time I can only somewhat relate but I know it sucks. Have you thought of using a walker? That way you wouldn't have to carry the bag, but could still use it proudly.

I'm sorry. I know a little of what you are going through because my mom had progressive MS. She was diagnosed at 28, I believe. Do you ever use a walker? She was able to hang her handbags on that. I do think that using a cane makes it more difficult. Thinking back I don't believe she used a cane often at all; when she did she probably used a light crossbody. The walker was more functional for her.