Dipping your toes in H exotics - Thought process of a newbie, my first exotic

Rami00

Feb 1, 2014
I have learnt a great deal of knowledge from this form (Thank you purseforum team:flowers:) so I thought I could give back by adding something that would have given me some kind of base to think about my purchase. I hope this or at least would like to think that somehow this will help someone (or not lol) on a tip to get their first exotic. Disclaimer: I am not an expert and would love to hear how other members planned their exotics.

I thought I would never get here and I guarantee there are so many of you reading this thread right now thinking “that is right, not spending that much money..thank you very much”. Ha! I was there too!

As many of you know by my posts and IG stories, it’s took me a while, I went through lot of researching on exotics be it Hermes, LV or Dior. I wasn’t able to find a lot of material on thought process on picking your first exotic. I reached out to the wonderful ladies on IG and purseforum, you know who you are, and thank you again. I was told “water, oils, creams are croc/alligator killer”. So I marked weather right on top of my checklist, living on the east coast does that to you :nuts:

-Weather: cold, cold, spring like summer sometimes/summer, cold
-Lifestyle: I don’t have tons of stuff but whatever I have, I wear
-Wardrobe: cashmere, wool, coats for every weather-heck I even have summer jackets, neutral palette

I thought about Gris Perle, Beton, Black – yeah I tried! Let’s say I am blessed with good friends/connaissance. They don’t really believe in holding back and that’s why I love them, including my wonderful and adorable SA “Rami, colors are what we thinking ok” She spoke the same language as my friends so I knew I could trust her 100%

Narrowed it down to: I needed something small in size, hands free because I like to eat at the parties/gatherings and hey I could do bright with my neutral wardrobe.

The colors on my wish list were:
A tie between these two – Vert émeraude and braise
Bleu electrique
Violet
Rose Scheherazade

Why mini Kelly?
As a newbie, it turned out to be the perfect bag for me. I wore it almost every day during the holidays, whenever it started to snow or rained I was able to fit right under my coat (a very important factor for me). Fits everything I need to bring when I am out and about. Not to mention my phone pretty much covers all the credit cards, necessary apps like uber etc.

I thought about Kelly cut/pochette at one point but then I also thought about going to the washroom at a restaurant/lounge whenever I am, washing my hands (water-oh no), putting lotion on (lotion – oh no) and hand holding that clutch – hmm non merci!
I am more of a team Birkin over Kelly anyday but I picked Kelly for all the above-mentioned reasons. Plus I don't do twilly on my bags which didn't help either.

I would love to do a K25 sellier one day but I am not there yet and I also wonder if it would be as useful for me as my mini Kelly.

Do you guys have a strategy on bags or do you just go right in or think at the time whatever is being offered to you? I would love to know your thoughts.

Rami xx

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    616.5 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:

ODEDIHAIMS

Apr 13, 2015
I love how well thought out your bags are and appreciate you sharing your process. I bought very quickly and have more than I need or can use enough but I can’t decide what to part with and how to streamline my collection. I’d love to have ONE exotic someday so I find this very useful. Thanks!

Reactions: Rami00

Rami00

Feb 1, 2014
I love how well thought out your bags are and appreciate you sharing your process. I bought very quickly and have more than I need or can use enough but I can’t decide what to part with and how to streamline my collection. I’d love to have ONE exotic someday so I find this very useful. Thanks!
Thank you!
Is it time to purge? Put your least used bags in another wardrobe/room where you won't see them. If you didn't miss them for a while you know....

Reactions: Setherwood

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
A very good question. It is quite a leap and not one to rush ito for all the reasons you have already given.

Very well considered in terms of your own journey. I think you chose perfectly for yourself. Trying not to lower the tone, but building upon your astute planing for bathroom negotiation with an exotic, the mini K can also be worn around the neck like a necklace by its strap when going to the loo if there is no hook on a door or you wouldn't trust the one that is. Apologies, but I think of these things having just made an impromptu visit to a DIY store with a (non-exotic) GP (no strap, no long handles) and a hook to shallow to hold two rolled handles. Anyway...

I was offered beautiful Mielle(?) or Sanguine alligator Plumes 32 in 2014. I could have afforded one at the time (just) but I backed away because it would have been instead of the Bambou Plume I did buy, and I was rather in love with that colour (I very rarely like a 'real' colour). How was I to know I'd be offered another must-have bag in the same colour (see GP story above)? Also where does one shelter a alligator 32 boxy shape bag in a country famous for it's damp climate?

Another thing I considered is I am not new to exotics per sae, I have had a range of exceptionally beautiful ad well made (all dark) croc bags, some ostriches, lizards and quite a few pythons. I had a thing for exotic jackets too at one point and none were being worn on a reg 'cost per wear' basis (although I am trying to relax more recently). I have 2 alligator H belts and the amethyst has been worn only a handful of times. An H exotic is very special but when other bags are already waiting for their turn in the sun it's hard to justify.

So you will be stunned to find out my only H exotic and a P crocodile was an impulse buy!!!! I think I was killing time, pottering around vintage stores with a friend. Vintage, discontinued styles in exotics are not the tooth-puller prices of new or more familiar pre-loved styles. I bought my croc Pullman for a reasonable price and I do use it. It's not small, it's not light but it's such a practical and organised handbag so beautifully made I adore using it and showing it off.

ODEDIHAIMS

Apr 13, 2015
Thank you!
Is it time to purge? Put your least used bags in another wardrobe/room where you won't see them. If you didn't miss them for a while you know....
It is time but the ones I want to rehome will lose so much money I wonder f I should just keep them and just be ok with using them a few times a year. I do have 4 that are definitely going to go soon. Those should bring better prices.

Is your mini hard to open? Is it stiff?

ODEDIHAIMS

Apr 13, 2015
A very good question. It is quite a leap and ot one to rush ito for all the reasons you have already given.

Very well considered in terms of your own journey. I think you chose perfectly for yourself. Trying not to lower the tone, but building upon your astute planing for bathroom negotiation with an exotic, the mini K can also be worn around the neck like a necklace by its strap when going to the loo if there is no hook on a door or you wouldn't trust the one that is. Apologies, but I think of these things having just made an impromptu visit to a DIY store with a (non-exotic) GP (no strap, no long handles) and a hook to shallow to hold two rolled handles. Anyway...

I was offered beautiful Mielle(?) or Sanguine alligator Plumes 32 in 2014. I could have afforded one at the time (just) but I backed away because it would have been instead of the Bambou Plume I did buy, and I was rather in love with that colour (I very rarely like a 'real' colour). How was I to know I'd be offered another must-have bag in the same colour (see GP story above)? Also wear does one shelter a alligator 32 boxy shape bag in a country famous for it's damp climate?

Another thing I considered is I am not new to exotics per sae, I have had a range of exceptionally beautiful ad well made (all dark) croc bags, some ostriches, lizards and quite a few pythons. I had a thing for exotic jackets too at one point and none were being worn on a reg 'cost per wear' basis (although I am trying to relax more recently). I have 2 alligator H belts and the amethyst has been worn only a handful of times. An H exotic is very special but when other bags are already waiting for their turn in the sun it's hard to justify.

So you will be stunned to find out my only H exotic and a P crocodile was an impulse buy!!!! I think I was killing time, pottering around vintage stores with a friend. Vintage, discontinued styles in exotics are not the tooth-puller prices of new or more familiar pre-loved styles. I bought my croc Pullman for a reasonable price and I do use it. It's not small, it's not light but it's such a practical and organised handbag so beautifully made I adore using it and showing it off.
Would love to see a picture!

Rami00

Feb 1, 2014
A very good question. It is quite a leap and not one to rush ito for all the reasons you have already given.

I was offered beautiful Mielle(?) or Sanguine alligator Plumes 32 in 2014. I could have afforded one at the time (just) but I backed away because it would have been instead of the Bambou Plume I did buy, and I was rather in love with that colour (I very rarely like a 'real' colour). How was I to know I'd be offered another must-have bag in the same colour (see GP story above)? Also where does one shelter a alligator 32 boxy shape bag in a country famous for it's damp climate?

I gasped when I read “impulse”
It’s a beauty.. the color looks like vert foncé, is it?

meowlett

Pup Worshipper
Dec 16, 2017
I love your Mini! It looks perfect on you.

My first exotics was my green Gator C24, which my SA offered me as a mega pacifier. I got it because it made my heart skip a beat. Then the Porosus C24 made me hyperventilate and I had to take it home.

I have met a beautiful B25 with diamonds in July. But somehow, I did not fall in love. My SA said she would have sent me to the other store to acquire it if I was swooning over it.

Then I have been patiently waiting for my PO and SO. I attempted to get a pacifier out of a shipment of two B25's. I was only offered the one that was too close in looks to my PO. So I had to say no as it needs to fit in my overall collection. Then I said no to a few other prospects.

I will keep patiently waiting for one that would make my heart sing.

Rami00

Feb 1, 2014
I love your Mini! It looks perfect on you.

My first exotics was my green Gator C24, which my SA offered me as a mega pacifier. I got it because it made my heart skip a beat. Then the Porosus C24 made me hyperventilate and I had to take it home.

I have met a beautiful B25 with diamonds in July. But somehow, I did not fall in love. My SA said she would have sent me to the other store to acquire it if I was swooning over it.

Then I have been patiently waiting for my PO and SO. I attempted to get a pacifier out of a shipment of two B25's. I was only offered the one that was too close in looks to my PO. So I had to say no as it needs to fit in my overall collection. Then I said no to a few other prospects.

I will keep patiently waiting for one that would make my heart sing.
Thank you! What was the color of the one with bling? :amazed:
Through the whole process I have learnt to never settle, the price point is too high for me to say “I guess I’ll make it work” so you made a very intelligent decision.

Are you only drawn to B25 exotics or you are doing a variation? Different sizes, color families, shapes..Just curious..

Reactions: CMilly

meowlett

Pup Worshipper
Dec 16, 2017
Thank you! What was the color of the one with bling? :amazed:
Through the whole process I have learnt to never settle, the price point is too high for me to say “I guess I’ll make it work” so you made a very intelligent decision.

Are you only drawn to B25 exotics or you are doing a variation? Different sizes, color families, shapes..Just curious..
The bling one was one shade of red that was not a true red. I would have screamed at a true red. I was not curious enough to get the exact shade. My reaction to it was, "Yes, it has diamonds. Great! Somebody is going to be the lucky owner of it."

I am looking at Porosus and Niloticus B25, B30, K28, K25 mainly. But if there is a Himalaya B35, K35 or K32, I would jump at it any seconds. I don't think I would want a Porosus B35 (would have plenty of chances in December otherwise) because I simply do not see myself using it like my other B35's. If I have face planted on an exotic B35 in Amsterdam, I seriously don't think I would be anywhere as complacent as I was because it would be too expensive to face plant on. Like my C24's, I expect to treat the exotics more carefully. But they will each get 12 outings per year.

For Barenia bags, I have no problem buying a B35, B40, K35 etc. I am 5'8" and do have stuff to carry around for myself and my pups. But for exotics, I know I am too clumsy to strut around with the bigger ones. Makes sense?

And I have been offered various C18's and KC's recently. Those are lovely bags. However, I need my home store to give me one that is worth my trouble first. I honestly don't think I would have problems getting the C18's and KC's in the specs that have been offered. I have seen plenty of similar specs in the secondary market at price points that are very competitive.

Last edited:

Rami00

Feb 1, 2014
The bling one was one shade of red that was not a true red. I would have screamed at a true red. I was not curious enough to get the exact shade. My reaction to it was, "Yes, it has diamonds. Great! Somebody is going to be the lucky owner of it."

I am looking at Porosus and Niloticus B25, B30, K28, K25 mainly. But if there is a Himalaya B35, K35 or K32, I would jump at it any seconds. I don't think I would want a Porosus B35 (would have plenty of chances in December otherwise) because I simply do not see myself using it like my other B35's. If I have face planted on an exotic B35 in Amsterdam, I seriously don't think I would be anywhere as complacent as I was because it would be too expensive to face plant on. Like my C24's, I expect to the exotics more carefully. But they will each get 12 outings per year.

For Barenia bags, I have no problem buying a B35, B40, K35 etc. I am 5'8" and do have stuff to carry around for myself and my pups. But for exotics, I know I am too clumsy to strut around with the bigger ones. Makes sense?

And I have been offered various C18's and KC's recently. Those are lovely bags. However, I need my home store to give me one that is worth my trouble first. I honestly don't think I would have problems getting the C18's and KC's in the specs that have been offered. I have seen plenty of similar specs in the secondary market at price points that are very competitive.
Appreciate the insight. Thank you so so so much.
Your point on being clumsy to walk around with bigger ones SO MAKES SENSE TO ME. I can not trust myself, the bigger exotic bag means more playing ground for me to mess it up so sticking with the smaller one gives me comfort for now. I carry dog treats, waste bags, balls, toy sometimes in my B30s lol...the perfect size of a bag that fits everything I need during the day. Maybe I need time to graduate to size 25 in exotics from mini lol. I love the variation you have picked, it totally makes sense. It's funny my SA was talking about Hima and said "you can not cut my hands by being picky on the size. So I guess they are very hard to get your hands on.
I can not wait to see your collection grow and hope you get that perfect hima one day.