Dipping gold or silver into rose gold?

f3ist

Total Bag Newbie
Jul 23, 2012
So there is this particular necklace that I really want in rose gold but it only comes in sterling silver and gold vermeil. I'm wondering if its possible to turn either into rose gold by dipping/coating it? (At a jewelers of course!) If you've got any advice or experience with these kinda things, please let me know! Thanks in advance loves.

How long does it typically take for the plating to wear off where it needs to be replated? I've been wondering this question, too!!

I think it depends on how often you wear it, and how much wear/tear it experiences. Things like rings will wear away the fastest. Items that are worn 24/7 and exposed to chemicals, perfumes and water will wear faster.

My ex-husband used to plate one of his rings once every 6-8 months or so.

On the other hand, I have a necklace that I wear only a few times a year that I haven't had to re-plate in 10 years...

So many factors....will depend on your jeweler's quality of work first off but also depends on your chemistry and your wear habits and how gently you treat it.

First, think about your chemistry and how you react to other metals. Have you had issues with costume jewelry turning your skin green shortly after putting a piece on? Does the plating on other pieces come off quickly for you (whether that's rhodium or YG over sterling or others)? I have skin that turns green if it comes within 12 inches of costume jewelry, and the plating on rings comes off in record time for me. Even bracelets and necklaces are an issue for me if they receive a lot of wear. If you are the same kind of person, I would say it isn't worth it

However, if you don't have the same kind of issues then it is certainly worth a shot. Plating on necklaces commonly wears much more slowly than rings, especially if it is not a piece that is worn daily or left on constantly. Depending on the quality of the plating, it ought to last longer than the plating on a ring, and when it fades you can certainly replate, as it isn't terribly expensive to do.

I think it depends on how often you wear it, and how much wear/tear it experiences. Things like rings will wear away the fastest. Items that are worn 24/7 and exposed to chemicals, perfumes and water will wear faster.

My ex-husband used to plate one of his rings once every 6-8 months or so.

On the other hand, I have a necklace that I wear only a few times a year that I haven't had to re-plate in 10 years...

Thank you!!