Diorshow Mascara Question?

Dec 6, 2011
Hi, everyone.

I have a question about Diorshow mascara. The original one.

Little backstory here. Boyfriend already bought me a bag for Christmas, so I got banned from getting a second because he was afraid the first wouldn't be as special...lol. Decided I would let him get me some makeup, and I was wanting to try Diorshow based on the hype. I did what I usually do for my mascara...Purchased non-waterproof for my top lashes, and waterproof for my lower lashes.

I got it, and it was okay, at best. I wasn't amazed like everyone hyped it up to be. I have been having little doubts in my mind, and I have been thinking that I shouldn't be having doubts for $50 worth of mascara, so I attempted a test.

Took my old Maybelline Full N Soft and used it on one eye. And Diorshow on the other. I knew it. They looked exactly the same in the mirror to me. Maybe I was seeing things, so I asked for a second opinion. I asked my boyfriend which eye looked better to him. I didn't tell him which eye had what in it. He chose the eye with Maybelline on it.

I'm not wasting a good Christmas gift (I know, it's middle of January...lol.) on something a drugstore brand apparently does better, so this is going back to Sephora ASAP...As in like, today or tomorrow ASAP. I do want to try Iconic though, because I have heard better things about it, so I will do that.

Now for the question! I know with drugstore brands, their waterproof counterparts are slightly less volumizing. Does anyone know if this is the case with Diorshow? If not, I may just get only waterproof and spend the rest of the money on a good foundation or something. It rains a lot where I am, so I guess waterproof would suffice. When I put the waterproof Diorshow on my lower lashes, it actually looks better anyway. The regular is kind of clumpy.

TIA and thanks for reading this big wall of text.

I used Dior show for a while, liked it and thought it was the best!

... Too bad it WASN'T! Haha. I got a lovely mascara from Estée Lauder this christmas and I'll tell you... After 10 years of mascara using I realized I was just blind from the Dior show hype and didn't want to realize it's just the same quality as budget brands.

But the Estée Lauder, it's the best. It's like it puts on fake lashes. I've had several friends asking what mascara I use, and I just tell them! ;)

I used Dior show for a while, liked it and thought it was the best!

... Too bad it WASN'T! Haha. I got a lovely mascara from Estée Lauder this christmas and I'll tell you... After 10 years of mascara using I realized I was just blind from the Dior show hype and didn't want to realize it's just the same quality as budget brands.

But the Estée Lauder, it's the best. It's like it puts on fake lashes. I've had several friends asking what mascara I use, and I just tell them! ;)

That is my problem! I definitely do not want to realize Diorshow is probably just some drugstore mix in a designer tube.

Thanks for your reply. I've also heard very positive things about the Estée Lauder brand, so I'm going to check that out too. Which one do you use?

Mascaras are different for everyone since everyone has different lashes and wants in a mascara, but I agree that drugstore Mascaras are just as good as many high end brands. Certain things I think shouldn't be bought at drugstores (any skin makeup), but mascara is not one of them. I had DiorShow and Hypnose and all those but they're not THAT much greater to justify the $20+ price tag.

Sorry, don't know much about the waterproof!

I tried Diorshow once and I wasn't impressed by it. I tried it again last month (a few years later after my first try) and still wasn't impressed. I then bought Benefit They're Real last week and I'm in love! It was an impulse purchase (needed a new mascara, wanted to try Armani's eyes to kill but I wasn't going anywhere that stocks it) so I'm glad I got it.

i HATE dior mascara!

i bought the mitzah version of diorshow, the brown with the gold flake.
as it's beautiful, it's also super clumpy, sticky, and the brush is enormous!

ive only tried a few mascaras, chanel, stila, nars, and dior...

i put them in this order. from worst to best.

dior
nars
chanel
stila.

i was super surpised with how amazing stila's all day water proof mascara is.

I didn't find the waterproof version to be less volumizing but it did feel harsher on the lashes (as most waterproof mascaras). I personally hate Diorshow mascara because I always get raccoon eyes regardless of formula but I have a friend that loves it.

Right now I stick with MAC Opulash and I absolutely love it.

I've tried diorshow and I also thought it was just okay. I always use waterproof formula. I then tried the diorshow BLACKOUT, which was great. It's very volumizing, but it does start to clump after a while. I continued to buy diorshow blackout for a while, but stopped because it was too expensive. I actually have been using maybelline colossal volume waterproof- and I haven't found anything better. I've tried lancome hypnose drama, ysl faux cils, makeupforever smokey lash, le volume de chanel, chanel inimitable, etc...and I keep coming back to maybelline colossal volume. I think drug store mascaras are great, so I would spend more money on high end foundation, glosses, liners, bronzers, etc.

i actually bought the waterproof diorshow without knowing the hype. it workers wonderfully for me. but i must warn that i like lengthening and the natural look.

I think you just have to do your research on sites like MakeupAlley and compare to what you want in a mascara. I feel like mascaras are so different for everyone. While some LOVE DiorShow, there are many who think its overhyped. For me personally, I prioritize lengthening and curl power, but for others, volume and I dunno, thickening is more important.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Tonight, I went to Sephora and tried a whole lot of things on.

I came home with Benefit's They're Real! and I love it. I used the rest of the money and then some to get some concealer, eyeliner, eye cream, and a depuffing mask. Overall pleased with my purchase, except that I accidentally grabbed grey eyeliner instead of black, but I'll fix that tomorrow.

Thanks again, ladies!! :smile:

I wore Diorshow for about 5 years and loved it, until I tried "Driorshow Extase". I absolutely love this one, makes my lashes very full (I typically put on 3 coats) and not clumpy. "Diorshow New Look" is good for lower lashes.