Dior's First Lady! Maria Grazia Chiuri hired as artistic director of Christian Dior

According to an article from WWD about Raf Simon's appointment at Calvin Klein,

I wonder if this has to do with his abrupt departure from Dior after only one contract.

On the topic of celebrity partnerships:

I guess we're not the only ones doubting this partnership.

[Source: http://wwd.com/markets-news/designer-luxury/raf-era-begins-at-calvin-10500564/]

Wow I can't believe the stocks went down! You make a good point, Joe. It could be his instability and lack of dedication because of his own brand and as you said, the abrupt departure after one contract.

If he rarely likes to mingle with celebs then I don't understand why he's taking on such big and grand positions?? Go back to your own brand if you wanna be low key. I don't know but after reading all this...Raf is sorta leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Turned his back on Dior because of so much work and then went to Calvin which is even more work. He's being shady! I want Francisco Costa back at Calvin, he was one of my favorite designers. And considering how much his work was featured in Vogue and how much she wore his designs, I think Anna Wintour was a huge fan of Costa too. I wonder where he will be heading next.

Reactions: honey
Wow I can't believe the stocks went down! You make a good point, Joe. It could be his instability and lack of dedication because of his own brand and as you said, the abrupt departure after one contract.

If he rarely likes to mingle with celebs then I don't understand why he's taking on such big and grand positions?? Go back to your own brand if you wanna be low key. I don't know but after reading all this...Raf is sorta leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Turned his back on Dior because of so much work and then went to Calvin which is even more work. He's being shady! I want Francisco Costa back at Calvin, he was one of my favorite designers. And considering how much his work was featured in Vogue and how much she wore his designs, I think Anna Wintour was a huge fan of Costa too. I wonder where he will be heading next.

Shady! That's the word! My admiration for him has really died this week upon hearing the confirmation of his CK appointment. When I first heard it as a rumour, I thought that there was NO WAY since he was complaining about being creatively exhausted at Dior. Now doing even more work at CK? Give me a break.

Apparently his new contract with CK is around $20 million USD!!! This is really high as an industry standard. I would say that although Raf catapulted Dior's sales, Dior really catapulted his career. He wouldn't have gotten such a contract based solely on his work at Jil Sander.

I liked Costa, too. It's a shame that CK management made his Collection an afterthought, just to boost a few perfume and underwear sales. Essentially, he was a puppet to make the brand seem "fashionable". Hopefully he would shine somewhere else. Oscar de la Renta could use him, now that they've lost their designer. But if Hermes ever needs a new designer, Costa would be a great choice.

Shady! That's the word! My admiration for him has really died this week upon hearing the confirmation of his CK appointment. When I first heard it as a rumour, I thought that there was NO WAY since he was complaining about being creatively exhausted at Dior. Now doing even more work at CK? Give me a break.

Apparently his new contract with CK is around $20 million USD!!! This is really high as an industry standard. I would say that although Raf catapulted Dior's sales, Dior really catapulted his career. He wouldn't have gotten such a contract based solely on his work at Jil Sander.

I liked Costa, too. It's a shame that CK management made his Collection an afterthought, just to boost a few perfume and underwear sales. Essentially, he was a puppet to make the brand seem "fashionable". Hopefully he would shine somewhere else. Oscar de la Renta could use him, now that they've lost their designer. But if Hermes ever needs a new designer, Costa would be a great choice.

Haha yup...shady is the perfect word to describe him now. I have to say I feel the same way you do about him now.

$20 Million is HUGE! He would've never gotten an offer like that if it wasn't for his role at Dior. Even though Jil Sander is a pretty well known brand, he still didn't gain that fame and recognition until he landed at Dior. I feel like his tenure there and now CK was a way to catapult his own brand and his own image, and I feel like it is working. I don't want to sound mean, but before Dior, his own line was pretty irrelevant in my opinion, no one really talked about his work that much or knew about it. After he got the job at Dior many people started to get on the Raf Simons bandwagon too, his stuff popped up everywhere and a lot of people started wearing his designs too.

Costa at Oscar De La Renta would be nice. But now that you mentioned it, him at Hermes sounds like a perfect fit.

Haha yup...shady is the perfect word to describe him now. I have to say I feel the same way you do about him now.

$20 Million is HUGE! He would've never gotten an offer like that if it wasn't for his role at Dior. Even though Jil Sander is a pretty well known brand, he still didn't gain that fame and recognition until he landed at Dior. I feel like his tenure there and now CK was a way to catapult his own brand and his own image, and I feel like it is working. I don't want to sound mean, but before Dior, his own line was pretty irrelevant in my opinion, no one really talked about his work that much or knew about it. After he got the job at Dior many people started to get on the Raf Simons bandwagon too, his stuff popped up everywhere and a lot of people started wearing his designs too.

Costa at Oscar De La Renta would be nice. But now that you mentioned it, him at Hermes sounds like a perfect fit.

I think so too. Critics were talking about his menswear along with Hedi Slimane's years ago, but I didn't even hear about his stuff until his work at Jil Sander picked up momentum.

Given his track record at Dior, maybe this CK thing will not last long. After all, he claims to be a thinker and needs time for ideas to "set" and be refined (and apparently Dior's pace of back-to-back collections was overwhelming and restrictive, although I find his excuse really hard to believe now). Maybe the tune of $20 million USD will get some mental wheels turning faster.

Reactions: Yoshi1296