Diorama vs Chanel boy

I went with the diorama because:
1. The chain and hence bag is lighter
2. It holds more
3. More understated, not seen everywhere unlike the boy
4. Better price point. You get more bang for your buck with Dior
5. Havent heard of issues with flap creasing unlike with the boy

And most importantly..
6. The boy always looked great in photos and I love the chevron boy in pics but when I tried the medium chevron boy on it just didnt speak to me, something felt..underwhelming. But when I saw the diorama for the first time, I just melted. It's so classy and elegant and gorgeous :love:

I do think the diorama is a more elegant bag vs rugged look of the boy, but that makes the diorama more versatile too! I still find myself lusting after a small boy though..but it is heavier than my medium diorama and fits so little for the price compared to a mini chanel flap! Ultimately, you should try both on and see which you like more. Who knows, you may end up with neither! HTH :smile:

I was having the same dilemma as yours last few months ago!
Chanel Boy or Diorama

I think @rikkuex stated out most of the points! Ended up I got myself a Diorama too. Got a lot of information from TPF members and it helps me confident with my purchase.

Diorama is new, ladylike; Chanel Boy is more boyish and you dun have to worry the resell value.

The most important is, go to Chanel & Dior try out both! and you will know which one takes your breath away :P

I feel that Diorama is more special and understated elegance. I tend to see Chanel Boy everywhere. I would go try both on and see which you are more drawn to. Always helps to try on and sleep on it - then go back for the one you can't stop thinking about!

I was also tossing around with the Diorama and the Boy. I went to both Dior and Chanel to try on the bags. I can say that the Diorama looks a lot more feminine than the Boy. It is also very elegant. Although I did like the Diorama (a lot!), I decided to get the Boy because I knew that if I didn't and got the Diorama instead, at some point I would want to get the Boy (since the Boy was the original inspiration). I don't regret my decision but I think if you are not obsessed with getting a Boy (like me), the Diorama is a good get.

I love both the Dior Diorama and the Chanel Boy. When i see ladies wearing the Chanel Boy i think it looks so cool. However, when i tried on the both the Diorama and Boy bag, i fell in love the Dior Diorama. It is just so beautiful. So elegant and chic. Chanel Boy is classic and a statement. So depends if you want something elegant or cooler. But i would love both in my collection :biggrin:

Reactions: Nicolephp
I do own both but if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Boy (partly because I love Chanel) but I also prefer the look of the Boy. That being said, the Diorama is much lighter, the strap is more comfortable when worn cross shoulder and more elegant. Try both bags on if you can and see which you prefer more. You can always get the other as well at a later time :smile:

Reactions: SweetDaisy05
I own both as well. I got the navy boy first and then a black Diorama. And honestly I use my Diorama more than the boy. As it has a lighter chain and a more understated look than the Chanel boy. The CC logo stands out and draws more attention...and the chain is a bit more heavy. But it is an iconic piece to own. Both bags I use casually. So, if you can - having both bags in your collection is great. ;)

~*sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6*~

Reactions: Miss World
I have the Chanel boy in the 'old' medium size and use it almost every weekend since I bought it a year ago. I haven't noticed it being heavy as some people have stated, I find it a light in weight bag. It's lighter than the medium reissue which I heard was meant to be a really light bag.

That being said I still want to buy the Diorama, but I am a collector of handbags so that goes hand in hand . I think Dior do the most amazing colours for there bags, I plan on buying one next year :smile:.

Here is my boy for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 3,688
Also out of interest what is the difference in price between the two bags ? U.K. Sterling please. I got this bag for 2600 last year (November15), I'm unsure of how much it has increased since then.

Also out of interest what is the difference in price between the two bags ? U.K. Sterling please. I got this bag for 2600 last year (November15), I'm unsure of how much it has increased since then.
Te medium Diorama is 2500GBP. All prices have increased since the Brexit vote so the Boy Chanel is probably a lot pricier now.

So I know this question has been asked to death, and I've searched all the threads. But I am still hoping for some fresh perspectives :smile: I've also posted in the Chanel forum.

I've long been considering the Diorama for an early 2018 purchase. I would have already gotten the black one in the Autumn 17 collection with the light gold hardware, but alas, I promised myself no more bags for 2017.

In the meantime, I've also been looking at the old medium Boy. I like that it's a classic, and as a bag collector, I am intrigued by the prospect of owning a Chanel. I also think the quilting and hardware is gorgeous.

However, the Boy is just so dang expensive! I'm still not comfortable with the thought of dropping over 5k on ONE bag, even if all my premium bags total is worth 4-5 times that. Especially when I consider the declining quality of Chanel. Also, the Boy looks a bit boxier and heavier; I like how the Diorama is sleeker and still holds more.

Some more info:
I already have a Diorever, but no Chanel yet.
I'm not into the classic flap, but could see myself getting a WOC in the future.

Thoughts?

Reactions: PinkTulip