Dior Vs Vuitton perfumes

maryg1

K in a circle
O.G.
Aug 29, 2006
I recently gave a look at both perfumes lines and would like to hear your opinion: do you have one or more favorite? Why do you prefer one vs the other? Do they last long?
I like that LV bottles are refillable, I didn’t find anything about Dior.
So far I’m intrigued by Dior Thé Cachemire but never tried it.

I have Le Jour Se Lève and Apogée from Louis Vuitton. I love them both, but my clear favourite is Le Jour Se Lève, it's divine :heart: Both of the scents are pretty fresh, so I find the longevity to be about average. I don't have any experience with Dior fragrances. I recommend to try them yourself first and then buy what you love. I personally never manage to blind buy fragrances.

Reactions: PamK and maryg1
I recently gave a look at both perfumes lines and would like to hear your opinion: do you have one or more favorite? Why do you prefer one vs the other? Do they last long?
I like that LV bottles are refillable, I didn’t find anything about Dior.
So far I’m intrigued by Dior Thé Cachemire but never tried it.
Maryg1, I’m not familiar, but is it possinle where you are to Request samples from the store or is there a mail order place that sells samples? In the US, a popular mail order is Surrendertochance and you can pay for a sample in the amount you’d like.

re longevity, in the modern, post IFRA world of fragrance, I find it helpful to either layer fragrance (scented lotion, scented frag), but even reg lotion can sometimes extend fragrance. Another, is to apply to the back of your neck, and hair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liberté and maryg1
Maryg1, I’m not familiar, but is it possinle where you are to Request samples from the store or is there a mail order place that sells samples? In the US, a popular mail order is Surrendertochance and you can pay for a sample in the amount you’d like.

re longevity, in the modern, post IFRA world of fragrance, I find it helpful to either layer fragrance (scented lotion, scented frag), but even reg lotion can sometimes extend fragrance. Another, is to apply to the back of your neck, and hair.
I will definitely search for it! I’ve recently bought a bag from LV but didn’t ask for samples, I will do next time I’m going there.
And thank you for suggesting to apply perfume in your hair, I’ve never thought of it!
Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: 880
I'm not familiar with the LV ones since they're sold in their boutiques (and I'm not an LV shopper), but I enjoy the Dior line. They're light and likeable on a mass-market level. If you were to smell all of them at once, you'll realise that they start smelling very similar to each other. It just depends on your preferred taste because some will be sweeter, others more floral... but nothing really stands out. I may have given LV Apogee a sniff because a friend wanted my opinion on it but it wasn't my cup of tea (but it fit my friend).

Thé Cachemire is my favourite out of the line and I'd consider buying that for myself if I didn't have enough fragrance already. It's a refreshing citrus and tea fragrance, kinda along the line of what Jo Malone had offered with their tea range, and while it's not the same, it reminds me of my beloved Lancome Aroma Tonic in that it lifts my mood when I get to try it on. My experience is that it stays max 4-6 hours, and I find it sits closer to the skin after an hour or two, but projects about arm length initially. It's just so expensive and there's good but cheaper tea fragrances in the market.

I am a fragrance enthusiast and sampled both Dior's and Vuitton's exclusive ranges extensively. Dior's fragrances are classified as unisex, whereas Vuitton divides them into female/male lines, although several of them can pass as unisex in my opinion. I like that Dior offers 40 ml travel bottles of selected fragrances (usually in spring/summer and until stock lasts), whereas Vuitton offers a 3 x 10 ml travel spray system for all fragrances. So potential customers can purchase a smaller bottle if they tire of fragrances easily or if they have large fragrance collections. Vuitton's 50 ml / 100 ml bottles can be personalized and refilled as well.

As far as the fragrances themselves are concerned, both brands focus on light, sweet composition built around floral and fruity notes, light spices or light woods. Dior's fragrance line is older and has therefore more choices, whereas Vuitton releases more fragrances per year. Dior 2020: 2 new releases, Vuitton 2020: 4 new releases.

Dior: quince & woods, red berries, peony, gardenia, pear & rose, orange & woods, jasmine & musk etc. Vuitton: jasmine & mimosa, pear & woods, rose & litchi, flowers & red berries, leather & raspberry, leather & white flowers. Vuitton's fragrances are slightly more complex and the first batch of releases all feature a signature leather base note.

I suggest you go to Milan / Florence / Rome and visit a large Dior & Vuitton store to sample both ranges in person and to request a sample to take home with you.

Reactions: maryg1
What other tea fragrance would you suggest?
Bulgari has a complete fragrance line built around the concept of tea: green tea / blue tea / red tea / black tea.
By Killian also released one or even two tea-themed fragrances. Guerlain's Aqua A. Teazzurra comes to mind, as does Tea Tonique by Miller Harris. Jo Malone's tea range has been discontinued if I am not mistaken, and was rather pricy as well. If you are lucky you might find a bottle of Artisan P.'s Tea for Two for cheap on the internet.

Thank you.
Since opening this thread I bought Penhaligon’s Iris Prima and this is a fragrance I will keep buying for sure.
I was given a sample of The Coveted Dutchess Rose and it’s one of the best perfume on me, so I will probably invest in that fragrance rather than Dior or LV

I have a number of full bottles of Dior (8 from their exclusive line plus two of the men's) and Louis Vuitton (3) fragrances. I've sampled or have samples of every single fragrance from both houses. I think the Dior exclusives are higher quality, and Dior has many more options. As good as the Louis Vuittons are, many of them can come across as quite synthetic.

The best of the Dior exclusives are the older ones that were released in 2015 or earlier, such as Cuir Cannage, Ambre Nuit, Mitzah, Feve Delicieuse, Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire, etc. Those are the ones that are bolder and more interesting. The ones that have been released more recently are more watery and transparent and much more on the synthetic side. There have only been two releases for Dior's exclusive line since 2015 that I have found interesting enough to buy: Santal Noir and Balade Sauvage.

Unfortunately, many of the best Dior exclusives are now limited to Paris. The best of the newer Dior exclusives, Santal Noir, isn't even available in the US. Also, not all of the fragrances are offered in the 40ml size here in the States, and it wasn't until very recently that the 40ml size was sold here at all.

Last edited:
The best of the Dior exclusives are the older ones that were released in 2015 or earlier, such as Cuir Cannage, Ambre Nuit, Mitzah, Feve Delicieuse, Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire, etc. Those are the ones that are bolder and more interesting.
I totally agree. All of my full bottles from this collection are scents released prior to the redesign of the line: Cologne Blanche, Bois d’Argent, Granville, Leather Oud. I sold Eau Noire.
There have only been two releases for Dior's exclusive line since 2015 that I have found interesting enough to buy: Santal Noir and Balade Sauvage.
I really enjoyed Oud Rosewood. Looking forward to trying Santal Noir.

I really enjoyed Oud Rosewood. Looking forward to trying Santal Noir.
Yes, it's really unfortunate what they've done with the line, but I understand that more transparent fragrances are trendy right now. At least they haven't completely discontinued any of them except Cologne Blanche. If I've tried that one, it was many years ago, and I have no recollection of its smell.

Oud Rosewood is pretty similar to Oud Ispahan, and I waffle between which one I prefer. Santal Noir has some of the similar Dior DNA that I find in some of the older ones.