Dior Ultra Black chipping, quality issues?

LuxBoy_AJ

Top-notch Сasual Dating Genuine Damsels
May 19, 2014
I am heartbroken. My new J'adior Ultra Black has started chipping on the hardware the D-ring is understandable but the chipping on the chain some how really bothers me

I read somewhere in a forum about someone who painted the hardware with matte black paint and I don't know if I should do that or not because I don't live close to a Dior boutique so I can't easily get an SA to take a look at it

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20181103_141044.jpg
    IMG_20181103_141044.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_20181103_140932.jpg
    IMG_20181103_140932.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_20181103_140213.jpg
    IMG_20181103_140213.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_20181103_140156.jpg
    IMG_20181103_140156.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_20181103_140142.jpg
    IMG_20181103_140142.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 702
I am heartbroken. My new J'adior Ultra Black has started chipping on the hardware the D-ring is understandable but the chipping on the chain some how really bothers me

I read somewhere in a forum about someone who painted the hardware with matte black paint and I don't know if I should do that or not because I don't live close to a Dior boutique so I can't easily get an SA to take a look at it

What do you guys think?
You can use matte black acrylic paint but be sure to use a primer first (ask a sales associate at an arts store). Be sure to get a nice fine brush so that you can finish it professionally.

If you can get it to Dior, then don't paint it yet. They will not help you with your product once it has been altered. Dior may be able to replace the hardware and/or offer a replacement product depending on their assessment.

Ultra black hardware chipping is not a quality issue. It is the nature of metal. The surface of metal gets scratched over time. When the metal hardware is silver- or gold-coloured, then the scratches are harder to see because there is less contrast between the scratch and the rest of the metal colour. But when the metal is covered with a black finish, any scratching can reveal the metal beneath, which often sharply contrasts in colour (as the metal is silver and reflective versus the black finish being dark and matte).

Every brand with all-black hardware will have the same problem over time.

Luxury watch brands make all-black watches out of ceramic or diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating so that the black colour doesn't scratch like that, but these are still susceptible to chipping if there is heavy impact on the watch. We don't often find DLC finishes on handbag hardware, and ceramic needs to have a certain thickness to maintain enough strength to serve as hardware (making the hardware chunkier I suppose), because it is brittle and can crack if too much force is applied to it (especially if it is very thin).

Wow...I am so sorry you are experiencing this issue :sad:, I hope you are able to make your way to a Dior boutique verses altering it with spray paint.

Your post gives me something to think about as I am in the processes of trying to decide between mini LD in red or the ultramatte verses the small jade. It's hard for me to swallow knowing that after paying the price for the ultramatte that the color will peal off / scratch. Although I understand metals that has the color altered might not stay permanently to the altered color...sad...

Wow...I am so sorry you are experiencing this issue :sad:, I hope you are able to make your way to a Dior boutique verses altering it with spray paint.

Your post gives me something to think about as I am in the processes of trying to decide between mini LD in red or the ultramatte verses the small jade. It's hard for me to swallow knowing that after paying the price for the ultramatte that the color will peal off / scratch. Although I understand metals that has the color altered might not stay permanently to the altered color...sad...
There really haven't been as many complaints with the newer series of ultra-matte Lady Dior bags, and when there was an issue, Dior was quick to replace or refund the bag.

The J'ADIOR bag appears to have a different black-hardware finish (it looks slightly glossier?). It also has chains sliding around and abrading two D-rings all the time, which can increase their wear and tear. With the Lady Dior, if you hand-carry it without using the strap, then this shouldn't happen at all. As for the charms, if you avoid jiggling the charms (or causing them to collide with each other harshly), then they won't chip.

The matte black finish on my men's Saddle buckle seems to be finished differently from the women's line ultra-matte hardware, and scratches relatively easily. However, because I have been careful, I did not manage to get a single scratch on it and now I've owned the bag for over a year and used it several times.

Reactions: Krismsong
I like both....they each have their nice pluses. I have a small nice chain bag from Bottega Veneta but it's neither black or red and not in either of these leather material. I wonder if the red would ever be outdated...it's such a nice red.....but then again the MYABC in the jade is nice too. Do you think the jade is to casual of a color if I want to wear it not as an everyday bag...and also wondering if the wider strap make it more of an everyday look? I understand Dior bags is a statement piece in itself can be worn up / down. I think I am looking to use this bag to go out in...weather for a luncheon, dinner, gatherings...but not to use to go shopping or everyday.

I like both....they each have their nice pluses. I have a small nice chain bag from Bottega Veneta but it's neither black or red and not in either of these leather material. I wonder if the red would ever be outdated...it's such a nice red.....but then again the MYABC in the jade is nice too. Do you think the jade is to casual of a color if I want to wear it not as an everyday bag...and also wondering if the wider strap make it more of an everyday look? I understand Dior bags is a statement piece in itself can be worn up / down. I think I am looking to use this bag to go out in...weather for a luncheon, dinner, gatherings...but not to use to go shopping or everyday.
The red patent has been around for so many years that it is a classic.

Since you like both of them the same, may I suggest the mini red patent over the MyABCDior? The patent red is dark so it doesn't show yellowing or stains easily. It is also really cute in that size.

The Jade colour is beautiful, but if I were choosing between the two, the patent red would win.

You should ask your boutique to see if the patent red comes in the small size (see the images below). It would come with a leather strap (not the thicker one with pins, though), but it's a bit bigger so it can fit your daily essentials.
1589543108_M0531OWCB_M323_E01_ZHC.jpg
1589543108_M0531OWCB_M323_E03_ZH.jpg
1589543108_M0531OWCB_M323_E06_ZH.jpg

Thanks again for your thoughts, it is so appreciated!

Yes, my SA has the red patent in the small...but I feel it will change the look of elegance that the red patent mini with the elegant chain....I think the chain makes that bag even more so! While...the jade...even if it came in patent, I would not purchase it in patent ass that color deserves the softness of the leather.

So....with all that being said.....what are your thoughts on the red patent mini verses the black ultramatte mini?

Reactions: averagejoe
Thanks again for your thoughts, it is so appreciated!

Yes, my SA has the red patent in the small...but I feel it will change the look of elegance that the red patent mini with the elegant chain....I think the chain makes that bag even more so! While...the jade...even if it came in patent, I would not purchase it in patent ass that color deserves the softness of the leather.

So....with all that being said.....what are your thoughts on the red patent mini verses the black ultramatte mini?
For the mini size, I prefer the patent. For the medium, I prefer the ultramatte. The patent looks so cute and precious in that size.

Perfect...thank you so much! You have been a great help! Fyi...I am eyeing the new cruise 2021 collection of the laser cut black book tote...it will be a special piece with probably an astronomical price tag to go with it...lol

Reactions: averagejoe