Dior Spring 2017 ads (featuring Maria Grazia Chiuri's designs)

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
No sure about the change in logo on the ads, and also using black and white photography which is so overrated in my opinion, but it certainly gives Dior a "new look".

The use of twin sisters is cool, though.

From WWD:
When Dior selected Maria Grazia Chiuri as its seventh couturier, the Italian designer was hailed as the first woman to lead the venerable French house.

What’s more, Chiuri is emerging as the ringleader of a battalion of female talents, including the team assembled for her first advertising campaign, in which photographer Brigitte Lacombe captures the complicity and complexity of twin models Ruth and May Bell.

In a series of calm, intimate portraits, the tomboyish flair of Ruth Bell becomes a foil for her sister’s ethereal femininity — except when they subtly swap guises.

“I really wanted to have a woman photographer,” Chiuri said in an exclusive interview about the ads, slated to break in an array of February magazines, starting with U.K. titles in early January. “I’m really interested in different interpretations of femininity, and [Lacombe] really captures the expression of different attitudes.

“We really like to describe this new idea about femininity,” she added. “Dior is very close to femininity, and it’s important to describe a modern femininity.”

Rendered mainly in black-and-white, the images represent a break from the arch fashion-driven intensity of recent Dior fashion campaigns — and the glamazon character portrayed by Charlize Theron in J’Adore perfume advertising.

Grace and fragility are among the qualities Chiuri wished to exalt in the campaign, along with a contemporary mood and youthful verve. Among the clothes featured are T-shirts bearing the slogan “We Should All Be Feminists.”

“I wanted to start a dialogue with a new generation of women, which is the Millennial youth,” Chiuri said.

The Bell sisters are emblematic of that generation, and the close and playful relationship of the sisters is plain as they squeeze hip-to-hip on a vintage armchair, or slouch on the floor.

Occasionally, Chiuri heightened Ruth Bell’s boyish allure by dressing her in fencing-inspired outfits. At other times, she dissolves it with a diaphanous bustier gown. Likewise, May Bell flits between mannish tailoring and embroidered tulle.

Chiuri described a “beautiful time” on the set in which their complex and diverse personalities emerged.

Peter Philips, creative and image director of Dior makeup, went for nude-look faces and natural, tousled hairstyles.

Chiuri tapped Karl Templer for the campaign, reuniting her with a stylist synonymous with her years as co-creative director of Valentino, now led by Pierpaolo Piccioli, who also continues to work with Templer.

Probably best known for her celebrity portraits in magazines such as Vanity Fair, Lacombe has photographed the likes of Meryl Streep, Mick Jagger, Andy Warhol, Leonardo DiCaprio, Julia Roberts and Martin Scorsese.

She called Chiuri “strong, direct open and generous” as a collaborator with “a very clear idea about how women should be portrayed and looked at, which is a point of view that I share and understand.”

The spring ads are but one element in a wider project Dior calls “The Women Behind the Lens.”

In the lead-up to Chiuri’s debut, Dior enlisted a number of female photographers to document fittings, the atelier and the backstage scene. These include Janette Beckman, Sophie Carre, Maripol and Chloé Le Drezen.
dior-ss17-campaign-011.jpg
dior-ss17-campaign-031.jpg
dior-ss17-campaign-041.jpg
dior-ss17-campaign-05.jpg
dior-ss17-campaign-06.jpg
dior-ss17-campaign-021.jpg

Thanks for sharing AJ! First impression: they seem to aim their advertising towards a group of buyers that would be very different to the women that are buying Dior right now, like punky teenagers or something? If they want to reel in this group, they better lower their prices. Maria describes it as feminine, but I see more juvenile? Also, besides the overall look, in my opinion the use of these two very young (-looking) models doesn't accomplish the desired effect.
I am very interested which direction Dior is going to take in the near future. Really can't see how the accessories for SS17 would be displayed at the stores, I believe they would definitely clash with the sleek and beautiful designed interiors of the boutiques in white, silver, glass and mirrors.

Thanks for sharing AJ! First impression: they seem to aim their advertising towards a group of buyers that would be very different to the women that are buying Dior right now, like punky teenagers or something? If they want to reel in this group, they better lower their prices. Maria describes it as feminine, but I see more juvenile? Also, besides the overall look, in my opinion the use of these two very young (-looking) models doesn't accomplish the desired effect.
I am very interested which direction Dior is going to take in the near future. Really can't see how the accessories for SS17 would be displayed at the stores, I believe they would definitely clash with the sleek and beautiful designed interiors of the boutiques in white, silver, glass and mirrors.
Not a fan of that bag being featured. I don't mind the J'ADIOR one, but the one that just says DIOR is tacky, like Moschino.

Dior looked so high fashion under Raf Simons with his often architectural approach to the clothes. I miss his Dior already (too bad he resigned to pursue Calvin Klein).

I am getting a little bit of a saint Laurent / Dior Homme feel a la hedi slimane but less rock and roll and more young, as Angelian mentioned. I like the vibe but agree it is a bit of a departure from the look that RAF was cultivating, but that is to be expected. I do like the new capitals logo I have always loved that font. We shall see how the collection does but I do quite like the fencing tops (eying them myself!)

Reactions: luxury_lucy
1) I really didn't notice a logo change, It's so minimal, it's not like the time GAP tried to change it's logo!
2) I think people need to learn to look past the model chosen and try to look at the thoughts, feelings, etc conveyed via setting, poses, even choice of photographer. Because what Mrs. Maria is conveying to me is the dichotomy between femininity and masculinity in these photos, which is a thing Christian is big for.
3) I wish people would look past the way an outfit styled in an ad and look at the actual garments themselves, because what I saw during the runway and in this ad's are garments that work well on a multitude of women (different ages, sizes, etc). That pale pink gown is absolutely gorgeous and feminine
4) I said it before and I'll say it again, it took her and Pierpaolo around 10 seasons at Valentino, until people started falling in love with their stuff, 10 SEASONS, THATS LIKE FIVE YEARS. This stuff doesn't happen overnight guys!
5) Truthfully, I hated Raf at Dior, I love architecture, but his clothes always left me feeling cold, all his collections had the ingredients - a dash of glamour, flowers, some architectural detail, some (not enough in my opinion) femininity, but it all felt so cold. But Maria is different, first of all, she's not designing for this arch 50's woman. She's connected to the street, so we're going to see Dior with a slightly street bent, And to me that's exciting, because she still understands that feminine woman, but she's roughing her up a bit, I like that, I can't wait to see where this goes.
Sorry for this ultra long post. I love Maria, I love her clothes, I love what she's trying to do at Dior, I can't help but stick up/root for her!

Looks like they're trying to win the target audience from Forever21 etc. How many women that age can afford Dior?
Moreover, what about the femininity that Dior is famous for? That unisex look I can find elsewhere. This is not what I am expecting from Dior and what I'm prepared to pay for. I don't want t-shirts with prints, I don't want boxy jackets and heroine-chick look. I am not a skinny model, I have an hour-glass figure and DD and Dior cuts worked well for me. These would work best for my 15-year old daughter (and I am not paying for her, not that she would want them anyway).

These are my sentiments exactly. I'm very turned off by these ads. To me, Dior is sophistication and quiet elegance. These ads just seem " off".

I love May and Ruth Bell. Their parents are lucky for having such beautiful daughters starring for a Dior ad together.

The clothes don't make my heart skip a beat tbh. I was less than impressed but I have to say on the red carpet, the outfits from the collection looked much different and a lot nicer on the celebs.

Love the models and the new font for the logo, hate the black and white effect.

Another image from the campaign. The red really stands out, and this J'ADIOR bag is nice because the logo is on the short strap which can drop down to the front when the bag is clutched. Much nicer than the other style which has a wrist-strap attached to the front.
campagne_rtwss17_grille_04.jpg

Reactions: OneMoreDay
Another image from the campaign. The red really stands out, and this J'ADIOR bag is nice because the logo is on the short strap which can drop down to the front when the bag is clutched. Much nicer than the other style which has a wrist-strap attached to the front.
campagne_rtwss17_grille_04.jpg

What's with the print on the shoulder straps and the shoes?! I don't even wear t-shirts with brand names on them and definitely will not wear a dress that screams "look at me, i am wearing dior"

What's with the print on the shoulder straps and the shoes?!
They wanted to add bands that looked sporty, almost like athletic underwear bands with logos (think Calvin Klein).

I don't like them at the moment, but who knows: They may become the next big thing. There are already guy's pants that have this type of band at the top which looks as if the whole pant was from an underwear brand, or that the underwear band beneath is popping out.

They wanted to add bands that looked sporty, almost like athletic underwear bands with logos (think Calvin Klein).

I don't like them at the moment, but who knows: They may become the next big thing. There are already guy's pants that have this type of band at the top which looks as if the whole pant was from an underwear brand, or that the underwear band beneath is popping out.

Yes, exactly! They remind me of Calvin Klein underwear! Not very flattering for a Dior dress

Looks like they're trying to win the target audience from Forever21 etc. How many women that age can afford Dior?
Moreover, what about the femininity that Dior is famous for? That unisex look I can find elsewhere. This is not what I am expecting from Dior and what I'm prepared to pay for. I don't want t-shirts with prints, I don't want boxy jackets and heroine-chick look. I am not a skinny model, I have an hour-glass figure and DD and Dior cuts worked well for me. These would work best for my 15-year old daughter (and I am not paying for her, not that she would want them anyway).

i agree this. HOURGLASS. the NEW LOOK. why would the dior new demographic customer not just buy valentino which seems to have similar but better goods.
on another note sheikha from the comments you make about your daughter you seem to be bringing her up very well imho. like obviously you are wealthy enough to afford designer clothes but i am sure she will become well grounded when she grows up.