Dior Saddle versus Bobby versus Tote

dove221

Lover of luxury goods <3
Jan 4, 2021
Hi Everyone!

I am wanting to purchase my first Dior Bag. Ideally before the price increase in 4 days. Would love feedback on the three I mentioned above in the title of the thread. I love the Tote but feel like that is going to be a short term trend. I like the Saddle which is gorgeous but worried about how much you can actually fit in it. Now, the Bobby- I don't know anyone who carries it. Looks like it can carry a decent amount internally? If you can rank and rate these- I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Zainab

Hi Zainab - I'll weigh in as someone who deliberated between the Bobby and the Saddle. I think the book tote is beautiful, but have never seriously considered it as an option so I can't weigh in on that one.

I LOVE the look of the saddle (but I'll admit I was an initial hater who thought it looked kinda weird); I also do think it may be one of those bags that just really shines in person. It's so unique looking and definitely a statement piece. However I do think it not fitting a lot is a real concern. To me, it is more of an occasional carry piece. I could fit my keys, small wallet, phone, airpods and *maybe* a lipgloss or two but this was a tight squeeze, playing tetris with things a bit. I think if you carried a thin cardholder instead of an actual wallet, you could fit a few more things in, maybe sunglasses on top, etc.

I ended up returning it for the Bobby because at the time I was really looking for a more casual, carry regularly type everyday bag. While ironically the leather on the Bobby is much more delicate than the sturdier leather of the saddle, I think the overall shape, look and aesthetic lends itself more to a casual, everyday carry. And I've been using it non-stop (well, as much as I leave the house these days...) since I got it and really do feel as long as you're relatively cognizant/careful with your bags, the leather is totally hardier than you would think, no scratches yet! The Bobby also definitely fits more. I'm assuming you're looking at the medium size, which is the only one I can speak to, but in addition to the things mentioned above I could also fit my kindle in if I wanted, and my sunglasses or eyeglasses with a case (but probably not both). It's actually not *as* roomy as I thought it would be, but it definitely fits more than the saddle for sure. The opening can be *slightly* annoying at times, but not a major downside for me. The back pocket on this one is perfect to fit a phone, I think I remember trying to put my phone on the back pocket of the saddle and it was definitely tight (and would probs stretch out the pocket).

Sorry for the overload of information, but I appreciated all the reviews/info I could get back when I was looking! If you search purseforum, there is a Bobby vs. Saddle thread I started when I was first deciding between the two as well, with other people's super helpful inputs as well.

Also all of that's to say...I think I'm going to end up repurchasing the saddle before the price increase! It really did make my heart flutter and it's a beautiful bag. It just depends what kind of bag you're looking for to fill your collection. If it will be your only Dior bag ever, and you're not looking for an everyday bag, I'd probably say go for the Saddle because it's so iconic and unique. However if you really want a bag that's more practical and can carry often, while still having a luxury feel/aesthetic, then go for the Bobby. I hope that helps!

Hi,

I completely go with everything said by @ATLbagaddict in the post above. I’ve never owned a Book tote and even though the totes have the most gorgeous prints it isn’t a practical bag for me personally.

I’ve owned the Saddle bag and sold it after 1 week. It’s absolutely stunning. However, it doesn’t fit much and it’s a bit of a Tetris game to get everything in. My biggest con with the Saddle was the opening/flap. The flap gets stuck underneath the strap every time you try to open it and if you don’t bend the flap under the strap the opening becomes very small and awkward. I also felt the Saddle was a little too “flashy” for my casual lifestyle. However the bag is beautiful and if a special one comes along I might repurchase it just as a collectors piece.

I love the Bobby which is no secret at all and I might be biased. I have two Bobbies already and plans to add two more. It is perhaps a slightly plain bag compared to the Saddle, but on the other hand it’s incredibly easy to use and certainly fits more. The opening is a bit more narrow than the bag itself, but to me it’s not a problem at all. It’s not any worse than a Chanel classic flap or a Lady Dior. The leather is surprisingly sturdy. For me and my lifestyle it’s the perfect bag and I’ve not used any other bag since I got it.

Good luck!

I guess it depends on your style/needs - I went for the saddle because it’s so unique and will set your outfit apart. Whereas you can find bags similar to the bobby and the book tote in other brands. The saddle is definitely not a practical everyday bag but if you’re used to mini bags then it will fit enough. And personally I shop at dior more for the aesthetic and history than practicality, I have other bags that are more practical for work, travel etc.

Hi Zainab - I'll weigh in as someone who deliberated between the Bobby and the Saddle. I think the book tote is beautiful, but have never seriously considered it as an option so I can't weigh in on that one.

I LOVE the look of the saddle (but I'll admit I was an initial hater who thought it looked kinda weird); I also do think it may be one of those bags that just really shines in person. It's so unique looking and definitely a statement piece. However I do think it not fitting a lot is a real concern. To me, it is more of an occasional carry piece. I could fit my keys, small wallet, phone, airpods and *maybe* a lipgloss or two but this was a tight squeeze, playing tetris with things a bit. I think if you carried a thin cardholder instead of an actual wallet, you could fit a few more things in, maybe sunglasses on top, etc.

I ended up returning it for the Bobby because at the time I was really looking for a more casual, carry regularly type everyday bag. While ironically the leather on the Bobby is much more delicate than the sturdier leather of the saddle, I think the overall shape, look and aesthetic lends itself more to a casual, everyday carry. And I've been using it non-stop (well, as much as I leave the house these days...) since I got it and really do feel as long as you're relatively cognizant/careful with your bags, the leather is totally hardier than you would think, no scratches yet! The Bobby also definitely fits more. I'm assuming you're looking at the medium size, which is the only one I can speak to, but in addition to the things mentioned above I could also fit my kindle in if I wanted, and my sunglasses or eyeglasses with a case (but probably not both). It's actually not *as* roomy as I thought it would be, but it definitely fits more than the saddle for sure. The opening can be *slightly* annoying at times, but not a major downside for me. The back pocket on this one is perfect to fit a phone, I think I remember trying to put my phone on the back pocket of the saddle and it was definitely tight (and would probs stretch out the pocket).

Sorry for the overload of information, but I appreciated all the reviews/info I could get back when I was looking! If you search purseforum, there is a Bobby vs. Saddle thread I started when I was first deciding between the two as well, with other people's super helpful inputs as well.

Also all of that's to say...I think I'm going to end up repurchasing the saddle before the price increase! It really did make my heart flutter and it's a beautiful bag. It just depends what kind of bag you're looking for to fill your collection. If it will be your only Dior bag ever, and you're not looking for an everyday bag, I'd probably say go for the Saddle because it's so iconic and unique. However if you really want a bag that's more practical and can carry often, while still having a luxury feel/aesthetic, then go for the Bobby. I hope that helps!
THANK YOU so much for this feedback! I was having issues with the kidney shape myself, but it is a bag that apparently Dior took off market and brought back! So, I am seriously considering it- very cute just not very functional! Please let me know when you get it because the price increase is in a few days! February 1st! Now the Bobby bag, I also adore and I think that it definitely is much more practical and I am glad you told me not as roomy as you were thinking it was. I appreciate you also telling me what types of items fit in these bags! That is also very helpful. I made an appointment with the Dior Boutique for Saturday!

Reactions: ATLbagaddict
Hi,

I completely go with everything said by @ATLbagaddict in the post above. I’ve never owned a Book tote and even though the totes have the most gorgeous prints it isn’t a practical bag for me personally.

I’ve owned the Saddle bag and sold it after 1 week. It’s absolutely stunning. However, it doesn’t fit much and it’s a bit of a Tetris game to get everything in. My biggest con with the Saddle was the opening/flap. The flap gets stuck underneath the strap every time you try to open it and if you don’t bend the flap under the strap the opening becomes very small and awkward. I also felt the Saddle was a little too “flashy” for my casual lifestyle. However the bag is beautiful and if a special one comes along I might repurchase it just as a collectors piece.

I love the Bobby which is no secret at all and I might be biased. I have two Bobbies already and plans to add two more. It is perhaps a slightly plain bag compared to the Saddle, but on the other hand it’s incredibly easy to use and certainly fits more. The opening is a bit more narrow than the bag itself, but to me it’s not a problem at all. It’s not any worse than a Chanel classic flap or a Lady Dior. The leather is surprisingly sturdy. For me and my lifestyle it’s the perfect bag and I’ve not used any other bag since I got it.

Good luck!
Awesome feedback! One week is quick but I could see that flap issue being annoying!

Reactions: TwiggyM
I guess it depends on your style/needs - I went for the saddle because it’s so unique and will set your outfit apart. Whereas you can find bags similar to the bobby and the book tote in other brands. The saddle is definitely not a practical everyday bag but if you’re used to mini bags then it will fit enough. And personally I shop at dior more for the aesthetic and history than practicality, I have other bags that are more practical for work, travel etc.
Nice! Which color did you end up getting?

THANK YOU so much for this feedback! I was having issues with the kidney shape myself, but it is a bag that apparently Dior took off market and brought back! So, I am seriously considering it- very cute just not very functional! Please let me know when you get it because the price increase is in a few days! February 1st! Now the Bobby bag, I also adore and I think that it definitely is much more practical and I am glad you told me not as roomy as you were thinking it was. I appreciate you also telling me what types of items fit in these bags! That is also very helpful. I made an appointment with the Dior Boutique for Saturday!
Happy to help - and let us know which one you land on :smile:

• Love
Reactions: dove221
I’m debating the same! I wasn’t interested in the saddle until I saw it in white...sooo pretty. The bobby definitely caught my attention too because it’s practical and casual, but for me it’s similar to other crossbody bags I already have.

Let us know what you choose!

I’m debating the same! I wasn’t interested in the saddle until I saw it in white...sooo pretty. The bobby definitely caught my attention too because it’s practical and casual, but for me it’s similar to other crossbody bags I already have.

Let us know what you choose!
Will do! Are you planning to buy before the increase in a few days?