Dionysus: Trendy or New Classic?

bell0279

May 30, 2015
Hello Gucci Lovers! I spend most of my time in the LV thread, but like most have recently fallen back in love with Gucci! I bought a Gucci Disco Soho last year and LOVE IT! It is amazing leather and so usable.

Enter the Dionysus I, like everyone else has seen this bag all over Instagram over the last year. I have to admit I saw it and always thought "oh this is so trendy," until lately! I have recently become completely obsessed!

My question for you fashionable and handbag savvy people is: Do you think that this bag is poised to become a classic or in 2 years will this bag look outdated? Thank you all so much for your input and insight!

IMG_1485268493.594777.jpg

I fell in love with this bag long time ago.... but never bought it as I felt it was rather heavy. Then I drooled over the embroidery and they always seem to come out with new embroidery designs and I kept thinking..... wait for the "latest/next" season's design....and after one or two seasons I fell out of love. I still think it's a gorgeous bag, just not quite worth the money nor the weight (my shoulder will kill me). And the embroidered versions ...so beautiful but they keep changing so often that the 'old' ones soon look outdated. For eg...I loved the Tian collection but now they look passé. Imagine I had spent that money back then.... would have regretted soon after. Just my view of course....[emoji111]
But it's a very photogenic bag.

Reactions: p3b
I fell in love with this bag long time ago.... but never bought it as I felt it was rather heavy. Then I drooled over the embroidery and they always seem to come out with new embroidery designs and I kept thinking..... wait for the "latest/next" season's design....and after one or two seasons I fell out of love. I still think it's a gorgeous bag, just not quite worth the money nor the weight (my shoulder will kill me). And the embroidered versions ...so beautiful but they keep changing so often that the 'old' ones soon look outdated. For eg...I loved the Tian collection but now they look passé. Imagine I had spent that money back then.... would have regretted soon after. Just my view of course....[emoji111]
But it's a very photogenic bag.

Thank you! I certainly get where you are coming from! I would go for the one I pictured or with the black suede. I am not courageous enough to do the embroidered! [emoji38]

Thank you! I certainly get where you are coming from! I would go for the one I pictured or with the black suede. I am not courageous enough to do the embroidered! [emoji38]
Oh sorry... the mention of Dionysus straightaway brings my mind to the embroidered ones...... heee.... cos that's what I fell in love with.
I think the non-embroidered ones have more lasting power for sure!

Reactions: Camellia19
I think it's a very classic shape. A simple flap with a unique lock and might last for a while. I planned to buy the classic one but fell for the blooms version as it looked so much more special when worn. I usually don't go for patterned bags but there is a first for everything [emoji38]

Reactions: Havanese 28
I think it's a very classic shape. A simple flap with a unique lock and might last for a while. I planned to buy the classic one but fell for the blooms version as it looked so much more special when worn. I usually don't go for patterned bags but there is a first for everything [emoji38]

Thank you for your response! I agree with everything you said! I hope you are loving your blooms version!

Reactions: Loveheart
I absolutely adore this bag. I think it will become a classic, especially if you buy the core colours. Im eyeing the plain black leather one. Maybe will take the plunge on pay day if im in a good mood :lol:

I think the Dionysus will be a mainstay for the foreseeable future... I love the many beautiful variations...blooms, suede, leather colors. I think the shapes are classic and in keeping with all of the other major brands' recent and current offerings. I'm planning to purchase the blooms in pink size Medium. I'm also drawn to the one you're loving, but I have the LV SC PM in Galet, a classic Speedy, a DE Alma BB , a classic black lambskin Lady Dior. ..Since I have a lot of neutral bags, I'm going for something a bit different. I think this bag is very chic and elegant in all its iterations. I really like what Gucci is putting out there at the moment. In closing, if you Love it, Get it! It's a gorgeous bag!

Reactions: Loveheart
I think the Dionysus will be a mainstay for the foreseeable future... I love the many beautiful variations...blooms, suede, leather colors. I think the shapes are classic and in keeping with all of the other major brands' recent and current offerings. I'm planning to purchase the blooms in pink size Medium. I'm also drawn to the one you're loving, but I have the LV SC PM in Galet, a classic Speedy, a DE Alma BB , a classic black lambskin Lady Dior. ..Since I have a lot of neutral bags, I'm going for something a bit different. I think this bag is very chic and elegant in all its iterations. I really like what Gucci is putting out there at the moment. In closing, if you Love it, Get it! It's a gorgeous bag!

Thank you! What a lovely bag collection you have! I agree with you! I will most likely be pulling the trigger in the next week and I could not be more excited! I just love hearing everyone's perspective about a very hot bag!

Reactions: imssy
I think the bag shape is classic. However, I think the latch on the bag will make it a trendy bag that will look dated in a few years time. I personally like the clasp but I do think it will cause the bag to date. Most bags with similar hardware look dated fairly quickly.

Reactions: trishaglitzy
I think the bag shape is classic. However, I think the latch on the bag will make it a trendy bag that will look dated in a few years time. I personally like the clasp but I do think it will cause the bag to date. Most bags with similar hardware look dated fairly quickly.

I think you make a great point! That is the one part of this handbag that concerns me, but at the same time I think the vintage feel of the latch could mute the trendiness in the future.

Reactions: mspsu16
Looking for input as to whether you think the Gucci Dionysus will be classic chain bag or is really just trendy / in the moment right now. I am considering the small/medium canvas print with the black suede trim, as right now my only "chain bag" collection consists of a black cavier Chanel flap (medium size, gold hardware) and the Gucci marmont in nude leather. I feel as though the Dionysus would be a nice addition - neutral in the canvas/black trim but more casual / day to day than my other two chain bags. I don't want to invest, however, if the Dionysus is just "on trend" and not worth the investment.

Thank you for your feedback!