Food Dinner for 1?

I also like to do lots of "medley" plates, with things like hummus, toasted pita, olives, peppers, tabouli salad, other veggies or fruits.

Or breakfast foods are easy to cook for one person.

Marinate chicken breasts in Italian Dressing and bake at 350 (covered) for 45 minutes and finish for 15 uncovered. I don't think this ever gets boring.

I also really like my sweet & sour chicken. Apricot preserves (2/3) and russian dressing (1/3) mixed with a packet of dry onion soup mix. If you're doing 4 - 6 chicken breasts, you need the 14 oz jar of preserves. if you do 14 oz of preserves, add 7 oz o dressing. mix and pour over the chicken. I'd use foil to line the pan as cleanup is not fun. Bake at 375. You can add pineapple or peppers if you like. I don't care for it so I don't. Serve over rice. The sauce is delicious.

I also make taco soup during the winter. Can of chicken (or you can cut up 2 cooked chicken breasts). Can of chicken soup. Can of corn. Can of pinto beans. Can of Rotel (diced tomatoes). Slow boil and serve over chips. This is better after a day or so. My favorite leftovers. And so great for impromptu, casual parties. It's almost always a hit with people.

Check out the easy recipe thread, crockpot recipe thread and the chicken recipe thread. Tons of great ideas. I live alone, but cook enough for at least two meals at a time b/c I like leftovers for work. Allrecipes.com is nice too b/c you can scale the ingredients w/ their tool if you hate leftovers (I know some ppl do).

Grilled meat of any kind and sauteed/steamed veggies is a very easy meal to make for one that does not get boring b/c you can mix up what you make w/ ingredients and spices/herbs. You can also roast a whole chicken in the oven or just buy a rotisserie one at the store and use it lots of ways- w/ sides as is, shredded in pasta, in sandwiches and salads, etc.

You can never go wrong with stir-fry, IMO. Just throw in some peppers, onions, and whatever else you want with some oil, and then just wrap it in a tortilla with some salsa. yum

^^I agree, I love stir fry with my rice. I usually use chicken breast, peppers, onions, and sometimes some snap peas.

If you want an easy marinade, take equal amounts of honey and soy sauce and add in some minced garlic and black pepper.

I also like to do lots of "medley" plates, with things like hummus, toasted pita, olives, peppers, tabouli salad, other veggies or fruits.

Or breakfast foods are easy to cook for one person.

Mmmmmm.... never thought about doing a medley plate for myself! I love getting this when I go to Mediterranean restaurants - the Meza platter I think it's called. Yum!!

I try to cook stuff that can be re-heated, and then I bring it for lunches at work as well. I'm a pretty basic cook, so I make use of things like chicken tonight sauces.

^ I had no idea they still made 'Chicken Tonight' sauces! I remember those from the late 80's/early 90's.

Haha! Funny you should mention that.
I was grocery shopping last night when I came across these. I picked one up and said "Wow! They still make these?!"

Pastas, chicken dishes and stir frys are so easy and versatile for serving one person. They're also great because you can add so many variants to it (sauces, spices, veggies, etc).

If you ever come across a recipe that says "serves 4", simply half the ingredients. You'll get 2 serves then. One for dinner, and one for the next day. That's what I do. It means im not limited to a set amount of recipes and i dont have to waste so much.

Also keep a look out for dishes that you can make that have a longer life in the frige/freezer.
You can eat the left overs for lunch/dinner and it works out cheaper in the longrun.
I did this with a lasagne recently :tup:

I also make taco soup during the winter. Can of chicken (or you can cut up 2 cooked chicken breasts). Can of chicken soup. Can of corn. Can of pinto beans. Can of Rotel (diced tomatoes). Slow boil and serve over chips. This is better after a day or so. My favorite leftovers. And so great for impromptu, casual parties. It's almost always a hit with people.

mmmm that sounds so yummy! I'm going to try this!

What is chicken tonight? It is like hamburger helper, but for chicken?

^ Jarred sauce that you put over cooked chicken or you could bake the chicken in it. Kind of dresses it up. There used to be a creamy sauce that I loved as a kid. I googled and read it is still really popular in the UK and Australia, but the US market didn't take to it which is why I was shocked when I learned you could still buy it. Kind of a blast from the past!