Home & Garden Dining table drama, advice please

SpeedyJC

Just a gal who loves purses, clocks and cats
O.G.
Jul 29, 2008
Ladies I am having some serious issues with a beautiful wood dining table I recently purchased. I have had it for just one week and the wood is already starting to chip off the table in three places. Also I notice a a handful of tiny pin sized holes throughout the table top. What the heck is going on? Why would wood just be chipping away like this and why are there so many little holes. Could it be wood beetles? Ewww I have grossed myself out just asking that.

The store I got it from has a no return policy however I hope they atleast agree to replace it.

I'd contact the store and ask for a refund. There is no reason why a new table should be doing this--even if it were dirt cheap it still shouldn't have these issues so quickly.

Thanks. I called and they said they will send out a "wood expert" in two weeks but honestly I just want to cut the BS and get a new table sent out pronto. This table is a four seater and it cost me total of just over 500 dollars. I get all my furniture from this store so I was not expecting this at all.

You may have a table that has Powder Post Beetles. They are dormant in the wood, and when they emerge they create pin holes. Have you noticed any powder/fine sawdust anywhere? Check your floors and underneath the table. The beetles are very small and black and you may notice them dead on the floor, and if you do, pick them up and put them in a baggie or jar as evidence.

Good Luck!

Would you post pictures of both, the holes and where the wood is chipping? I'm very curious about this and will ask my staff about this issue for you. I own a furniture company. I've never encountered this issue before. It's very perplexing. Did the company custom build this table for you?

If you find bugs you'll probably want to take the table out to your garage to get it out of your house until a remedy is found... Just a thought!

Here are pics. In the second one you can see a tiny hole in the wood. There are about 8 other holes some run deeper than others.

Attachments

• table.JPG
    table.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 375
  • table2.JPG
    table2.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 372
  • table3.JPG
    table3.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 367
Would you post pictures of both, the holes and where the wood is chipping? I'm very curious about this and will ask my staff about this issue for you. I own a furniture company. I've never encountered this issue before. It's very perplexing. Did the company custom build this table for you?

If you find bugs you'll probably want to take the table out to your garage to get it out of your house until a remedy is found... Just a thought!

Thanks. I posted the photos. No the table was not a custom build. I have done research and one other person had the same issue with wood chipping off with no to little use. This is very odd.

I do not have a garage I live in an apartment so its either outside literally or I have to keep it in my home. I called the store last week about this yet I have to wait all the way until next saturday to have someone look at it.

Did you pay by credit card? Call and tell them the table s damaged and may have bugs..... Put a claim to get your money back and have the table picked up.
I would also look to another furniture store to buy from.

I would kind of freak with the ought of possible bugs coming out of my table. It could be past damage to the wood and they painted it. M
Good luck.

Did you pay by credit card? Call and tell them the table s damaged and may have bugs..... Put a claim to get your money back and have the table picked up.
I would also look to another furniture store to buy from.

I would kind of freak with the ought of possible bugs coming out of my table. It could be past damage to the wood and they painted it. M
Good luck.

The account I use is through that store. I am a preferred "VIP" customer so I just go in pick out furniture I want and its then charged to my store account. I am really pissed about this preferred VIP my a**. I asked about taking it back and they just say no we have to wait for the "expert" to look at it before we do anything. Also there is a no refund policy besides. I really dont trust their expert looking at it, I am sure they will say 'looks fine to me!" or "you did this".

Eeee... that's why I hate using store cards. There's no one on your side when something goes wrong.

Is it happening on the chairs too? I'd go back to the store with a chair in hand if it was... and make a scene while talking to the manager. No WAY would I be waiting 2 weeks for an "expert" to come out when there could be bugs in my house!

Be a squeaky wheel, go get your oil!

If you are positive it's bugs I'd just put it outside, call the store up tomorrow and tell them either they send someone out ASAP or refund your money. If they don't do either then I'd tell them they can kiss your business, positive reviews and references goodbye. IMO with an issue like this the store should be addressing it promptly and they simply are not.

If you are positive it's bugs I'd just put it outside, call the store up tomorrow and tell them either they send someone out ASAP or refund your money. If they don't do either then I'd tell them they can kiss your business, positive reviews and references goodbye. IMO with an issue like this the store should be addressing it promptly and they simply are not.

I know right? What kind of store says keep the item in your house for 2 weeks damaged? Also why in the world does it take so long for the store to send someone? Are there that many damaged claims to tend to? I just dont get any of this.

I fully plan on going after them legally if they do not refund or replace. I work at a law firm so I have the resources to do so without any costs. How silly is all of this?

Last edited:
Eeee... that's why I hate using store cards. There's no one on your side when something goes wrong.

Is it happening on the chairs too? I'd go back to the store with a chair in hand if it was... and make a scene while talking to the manager. No WAY would I be waiting 2 weeks for an "expert" to come out when there could be bugs in my house!

Be a squeaky wheel, go get your oil!

No the chairs are ok, besides the fact that I almost sliced my finger open on one of them because they are not sanded properly. I think I am going to drive down to the store and tell them my disapointment in person since the cutomer service woman I talked to sounded like she was too busy picking her nails to be bothered with me.