Dimwit here - need help!!

joviscot

*BONNIE SCOTLAND*
Oct 5, 2008
You guys will be much more clued up about a Kelly bag than I am so can someone answer my questions please??

(1) As I dont live near a Hermes Store, I wondered if this was the only way to order a handbag??

(2) Do you have to pay a deposit or the whole amount at once??

(3) Is there a wait list for a Kelly bag??

(4) How long can the wait list be?? Years?!

Thank you for your help :smile:

Hi! Welcome! You can find Kellys on the shelf relatively easily. I would suggest you make a trip to an H shop, I believe there is a couple in Scotland. I don't think the UK shops accept "ordering" on the phone.. But maybe some of the more expert tpf'ers have a different view.

There would be no deposit required and yes, you would have to pay the entire amount at once. If you're in the UK, not sure what Kellys go for right now but as LittleH noted, they are relatively available on the shelf. If you are looking for a particular colour/skin/hardware combo, you may have to wait until what you are looking for becomes available. Good luck! If you do a search, you may find more detailed answers specific to your location.

Just checked, there is a Hermes Store within the House of Fraser store in Glasgow, but may wait until I am in a city with an actual Hermes Store ...... thank you for your help.

Will keep saving - but hoping I am one of the people getting Severence at work .....!!

Hiya,

Living in Aberdeenshire is a bit problematical! I've never seen any of the very high end bags at Frasers in Glasgow and Kellys are very rarely seen on the shelf next latitude down in Manchester ( although they had a Kelly So on the shelf yesterday).
Your luck would go up in London. I very much doubt any UK store would take an order for a Kelly over the phone - technically you have to be invited onto the list for special orders and you would have to be more of a known quantity to get that invitation. You're probably better off going to Paris or Monaco for a weekend.

There is no deposit to pay, you pay the full cost of the bag when it turns up at the prices current on that day ( there have been some steep price hikes so best you are warned!). If you ever get a special order accepted the wait will depend on what sort of specifications you have ordered - ostrich is very difficult to get at the moment for instance - the average 'normal' Kelly wait is 9 months to a year.

In addition to all the special order excitement each season the stores buy in a number of 'podium' bags i.e the sorts of styles and colous the house has chosen for its seasonal theme - if what you want coincides with what the store has bought in then your luck goes up and IF you get in fast enough you might get your heart's desire fairly easily - never worked for me though!

As Les Tambours posted no UK store will take an order over the phone, they don't even like discussing bags over the phone.

The Kelly wait list works differently to the Birkin one in that it's open all year round until the allocations are filled. When I asked in passing about ordering a Kelly in London a couple of months ago I was told they have sold their allocation for the year so best to start trying again in January/February or contact a store closer to you.

I have been to the Manchester store myself and the manager there is just lovely, as are all the staff

I have to agree that Manchester are v helpful and lovely - as has been said, it's rare to find what you want on the shelf, however they are always willing to help and should be able to answer your questions directly on 0161 834 5331. I agree it's v unlikley that they will take a phone order though....

Hubby away on business later this week and we are getting a new expensive kitchen next month so thats out for a while ...... unfortunately!! Lovely thought though especially with the rain outside just now!!

Changes are afoot early next year in Manchester - Hermes will be taking some floor space in Selfridges but the store itself on King Street will retain the high end bags - but the shop will be remodelled so if your trip coincides with all that activity the store could be closed altogether - disaster! The staff are superb in Manchester but if you want a Kelly in one fell swoop then I really would recommend an emergency break at 24 Faubourg St Honore.

The best guess of getting anything shiped anywhere in the UK would be Harrods, most stores there ship anywhere. Don't know if that is true with the Hermes store though, but you could always try. However have never seen a Kelly on the shelf there.