Dillen 2 double strap satchel vs Florentine satchel

hawkeyeredsox

Nov 11, 2012
Hi everyone! I am a newbie to D&B, I was a Coach addict but haven't really liked what's been coming out lately. I saw the florentine satchel on QVC this weekend and fell in love. I found a natural small satchel on Nordstroms on sale and it came today. I'm nervous about scratches and water getting on the bag. I started digging and found the older style of the dillen 2 satchels, which looks identical to the florentine. It seems like that would solve my problem, I'd get the look of the bag with the more durable leather. It looks like they are not making it anymore, does anyone know if that is a discontinued style? I've only found a few on eBay, I'd prefer natural in that one, but it looks like dillens aren't made in natural. Does anyone have both? If anyone has the dillen, does it end up slouching like the florentine or is dillen leather more stiff? Thanks!!

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to D&B, I was a Coach addict but haven't really liked what's been coming out lately. I saw the florentine satchel on QVC this weekend and fell in love. I found a natural small satchel on Nordstroms on sale and it came today. I'm nervous about scratches and water getting on the bag. I started digging and found the older style of the dillen 2 satchels, which looks identical to the florentine. It seems like that would solve my problem, I'd get the look of the bag with the more durable leather. It looks like they are not making it anymore, does anyone know if that is a discontinued style? I've only found a few on eBay, I'd prefer natural in that one, but it looks like dillens aren't made in natural. Does anyone have both? If anyone has the dillen, does it end up slouching like the florentine or is dillen leather more stiff? Thanks!!

The Flo and Dillen satchels are both great bags. I don't own both leathers in that style but so own a Dillen leather Chelsea shopper and a Flo satchel. In my opinion, the Dillen is just as soft/slouch as the Flo bag if not more. That's just my opinion based on what I've seen with both bags. Maybe one of the ladies that owns the satchel style in both leathers will chime in. If you are concerned about scratches, the Dillen may be your best bet because it doesn't really show scratches and is more carefree.

You are correct, Dillen doesn't come in Natural, Taupe or Sand may be the closest colors to Natural.

I hope this helped a little.

The Flo and Dillen satchels are both great bags. I don't own both leathers in that style but so own a Dillen leather Chelsea shopper and a Flo satchel. In my opinion, the Dillen is just as soft/slouch as the Flo bag if not more. That's just my opinion based on what I've seen with both bags. Maybe one of the ladies that owns the satchel style in both leathers will chime in. If you are concerned about scratches, the Dillen may be your best bet because it doesn't really show scratches and is more carefree.

You are correct, Dillen doesn't come in Natural, Taupe or Sand may be the closest colors to Natural.

I hope this helped a little.

Thank you so much, your info helps a ton. Looks like I'll be scouring eBay looking for deals on the dillen :smile: I do love the florentine, but I'm just so afraid of it getting beat up. It's staring at me from the table trying to convince me to keep her :smile:

The Dillen and Florentine leathers are very different, in my opinion. Dillen is more easy care and waterproof. It's soft and slouchy. Another similar leather is Pebble Grain, although I think it's a bit stiffer than Dillen. Florentine is heavenly to the touch and smells amazing. It is prone to scratches but most can be buffed out with the fingertip. It is not waterproof, either. I use Apple Garde Rain and Stain protectant and I haven't had any issues with water stains. Florentine is stiff at first then it gets softer with use- and slouchy. It also develops a shine or patina as it ages. I love them both equally but for different reasons, as stated.

Hi and welcome. I have just seen your natural on the other thread. Looks really pretty.

I first thought that I will go with Dillen, because I was scared of FLO and maintenance. But, then I ve seen Dillen satchel in taupe, large ( medium) size in person on one lady, and I wasnt impressed. It was too slouchy for my taste and looked thin. Because of that, i decided to go with the FLO's. I condition all of them ( own three now), and spray them with Apple Garde. One of them got a big water splash and it just dried off without a stain. They get scratches and each and every one buffs out. In my opinion in the satchel style I would go with Florentine- I love the thickness and richness of the leather.

If you will go with a small size then Dillen looks nice in a small size too. For me in the large size has too much slouch if you dont fill the bag up with stuff.

Hope this helps.

The Dillen and Florentine leathers are very different, in my opinion. Dillen is more easy care and waterproof. It's soft and slouchy. Another similar leather is Pebble Grain, although I think it's a bit stiffer than Dillen. Florentine is heavenly to the touch and smells amazing. It is prone to scratches but most can be buffed out with the fingertip. It is not waterproof, either. I use Apple Garde Rain and Stain protectant and I haven't had any issues with water stains. Florentine is stiff at first then it gets softer with use- and slouchy. It also develops a shine or patina as it ages. I love them both equally but for different reasons, as stated.

I have thought about getting the apple conditioner and protectant but I don't want it to change the color of the natural leather. I appreciate your descriptions, it helps a ton, especially when I haven't seen the dillen in person. It sounds like I need both :smile:

Hi and welcome. I have just seen your natural on the other thread. Looks really pretty.

I first thought that I will go with Dillen, because I was scared of FLO and maintenance. But, then I ve seen Dillen satchel in taupe, large ( medium) size in person on one lady, and I wasnt impressed. It was too slouchy for my taste and looked thin. Because of that, i decided to go with the FLO's. I condition all of them ( own three now), and spray them with Apple Garde. One of them got a big water splash and it just dried off without a stain. They get scratches and each and every one buffs out. In my opinion in the satchel style I would go with Florentine- I love the thickness and richness of the leather.

If you will go with a small size then Dillen looks nice in a small size too. For me in the large size has too much slouch if you dont fill the bag up with stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the niece welcome! Everything you said helps a ton, I think I may just have to go to a store and look at the dillen leather in person to make sure the florentine is what I want. I think I'm going to buy some Apple Guarde. Did it change the color of your leather at all?

Thank you for the niece welcome! Everything you said helps a ton, I think I may just have to go to a store and look at the dillen leather in person to make sure the florentine is what I want. I think I'm going to buy some Apple Guarde. Did it change the color of your leather at all?

Apple Garde is just a spray that protects against spills and stains. Something like Scotch guard but for leather :smile:

I've sprayed all of my shoes, boots, bags with it. Even a suede jacket. When you spray it, it makes the bag look sort of wet/darker, but it dries almost before your eyes and the bag stays the same as before.

I use Apple conditioner before because it makes scratches buff out easier. But, conditioner will also make your bag develop a patina sooner if its Florentine leather.

If you are not sure about the conditioner, you can use just the spray and then if you see that you scratch it too easily and the scratches dont really buff out good, you can condition then.

These are all just tried methods and suggestions so use your own judgment based on personal preference.

I dont mind if my bags develop a patina sooner, I always use conditioner followed by the spray for that extra ease of mind.

Thank you so much, your info helps a ton. Looks like I'll be scouring eBay looking for deals on the dillen :smile: I do love the florentine, but I'm just so afraid of it getting beat up. It's staring at me from the table trying to convince me to keep her :smile:

That's what they do...:cray: Then you want another, and another.... I saw her in the other thread. She's beautiful. It's probably best to go see and feel one. Do you have an outlet nearby? I know they have them in the outlet right now. I'm not so sure about a reseller like Dillards, Nordstrom, or Macy's. I haven't seen it there, but then again I don't frequent them very much. Good luck with your decision.

And to add onto all that great information Nebo gave you, I used both Apple Guard and Apple conditioner on my natural florentine Stanwich sachel and the spray didn't darken it at all. The conditioner might have made the color richer a tiny bit, but I also think it's darkening as I use it. The patina seems to happen right away. When I got her, she was very very light. She must have just been brought out on the sales floor, because she had very little honey color. I left her out of the dustbag and under a window for about a week and I noticed she got deeper. I think you'd be safe with using either one or both. It will give you piece of mind. You natural bag is going to change color and darken naturally over time anyway. That's the cool think about natural, they patina beautifully.

And to add onto all that great information Nebo gave you, I used both Apple Guard and Apple conditioner on my natural florentine Stanwich sachel and the spray didn't darken it at all. The conditioner might have made the color richer a tiny bit, but I also think it's darkening as I use it. The patina seems to happen right away. When I got her, she was very very light. She must have just been brought out on the sales floor, because she had very little honey color. I left her out of the dustbag and under a window for about a week and I noticed she got deeper. I think you'd be safe with using either one or both. It will give you piece of mind. You natural bag is going to change color and darken naturally over time anyway. That's the cool think about natural, they patina beautifully.

Thanks for the info! I think the patina is gorgeous, so I wouldn't mind it happening sooner. Unfortunately I don't have an outlet near me, the closest one is 4 hours away. :sad: I think I might order a dillen from zappos (gotta love free shipping and free returns) and see what I think. I have to look at my budget but I think I'll be able to swing both :smile:

Just an update: I took a chance and called the ******* outlet and they are so nice! I asked for the dillen2 double strap tassel satchel in cobalt and she said they didn't have any but she offered to call me if they got any in! Awesome customer service! :smile:

Just an update: I took a chance and called the ******* outlet and they are so nice! I asked for the dillen2 double strap tassel satchel in cobalt and she said they didn't have any but she offered to call me if they got any in! Awesome customer service! :smile:

That's great news. I love them over there. Actually a lot of the outlets are great when it comes to phone orders. Jill, the manager at ******* is very nice and goes the extra mile. I'm surprised they didn't offer to call other stores or the warehouse for you. They usually they do that. Maybe they know there are none available?

That's great news. I love them over there. Actually a lot of the outlets are great when it comes to phone orders. Jill, the manager at ******* is very nice and goes the extra mile. I'm surprised they didn't offer to call other stores or the warehouse for you. They usually they do that. Maybe they know there are none available?

I asked if they could search other stores and she said no one had any, but they just started showing up in cobalt so she thought more would be coming. I was shocked at how nice they were, the Coach outlet people never seemed willing to lift a finger, but that was probably just my outlet, I've heard good things about others. Here's hoping one comes in soon! Of course I forgot to ask what the price was, oops :smile: