dilemna... first designer purchase and i need help!

I think the speedy is a great choice. When it comes time for me to buy my first designer bag, my heard is set on the speedy :smile: Chanels are also very classy, but very expensive.

Since your birthday's in December, I would try to catch something on sale. Saks, Neiman's and Nordstrom's should have some nice bags marked down. My first designer bag was a cute prada and my second one was a gucci - both on sale at Neiman's. They've held up very well and I used the gucci as an everyday work bag. I've had them for several years now and I still get compliments when I use them. For now, I would start going to the stores and trying different bags to see what you really want. Good luck!

I think you would probably do well to stick with LV. Even though you have a nice amount allotted for your purchase, I think your spending power would be very limited with Chanel. I don't think Balenciaga and Prada have good classic bags. Especially Balenciaga. Balenciaga bags are too trendy and I don't think they age well at all.

I would suggest getting a bag from the Epi line of LV. The monogram is nice but it screams LOOK AT ME I HAVE LV! And everyone has one. Those are the ones that are faked the most. I think an Epi speedy would be a good bag. And they really are durable and hold up very well.

Congrats on getting ready to make your first designer purchase and I look forward to seeing what you pick!

The Speedy is a classic bag in a design that will never go out of style, but consider long and hard whether you are a handheld bag kind of person or not. Some people adore handhelds and others very much prefer shoulder bags. No matter how classic it is, it cannot function as an everyday bag if you are not comfortable carrying it.

Consider a BH or BV if you are more of a shoulder bag kind of person.

YSL or Valentino, if you are going to go Premier Designer. It is a little more unique. I am one of the ones on this board that lean towards less mainstream bags. I also like new designers as they are more cutting edge and the price is more justified.

LV Monogram has been around forever and will never go out of style. So if you are looking for something with staying power, that will always be a classic, that would be a great choice. If you are open to something different in the LV line, why not check out the Damier Azur. It is so pretty, and not everyone is carrying it. However, snoop around here at TPF, you can gain knowledge about many different brands that you may not have considered. That's how I became infatuated with Mulberry bags. The leather is beautiful and the bags are simply TDF. They would fall within your price limit and are definitely worth a looksee. Enjoy the chase! My 150th Post, Yay!!!!

Thanks so much for the replies and welcomes! As far as LV, I love the monogram look, but like some of you said, everyone has it and its so commonly faked. I absolutely love the Speedy Epi in red or black though. Or maybe the Damier Speedy/ Damier Azure Speedy since it doesn't seem to stand out as much as the monogram. As for the shoulder vs arm, i'm rather impartial. I do love the LV Cabas though... There are just so many choices!!! also, although i would LOVE a Chanel, I probably would only be able to afford the smallest in the collection and i need a lot of space in my purse! i love the Tod's D-bag as well and the Balenciaga City bag too but they are on the higher end of the budget and i'm afraid they'll be too short-lived. I'm buying this bag for my 20th birthday but i want to make sure I can still wear it when i'm celebrating my 50th birthday.
I'm going to keep researching around TPF, thanks for the suggestions!!

Happy birthday! The speedy is an okay starter bag but everyone has one. For your first bag, I'd get something a little more special. My first bag was a Marc Jacobs bag that isn't made anymore. Balenciaga is perfect for your budget. I like the city bag and I believe I paid around $1200 for it. It holds a lot and I love the fact that you can have it handheld or shoulder. I find mine to be very versatile and I've traveled with it. Also good as an everyday bg.

I think since this is going to be your first designer purchase and you want something to last look around, look around, check out other brands besides LV such as Prada, Miu Miu, Balenciaga, Celine. Figure out what size you want, and do you want something that can go over the shoulder or just be carried in the crook of your arm. If you like the LV speedy, why not check out the Celine boogie bag - its a similar style and an understated classic. Good luck and happy birthday in advance!

Hello everyone! I wanted to thank you all again for your wonderful suggestions back in the summer. I've been doing research on tPF since then and have made my choices!!

I ended up buying a Coach Legacy Thompson Hobo in Ink and a Louis Vuitton Damier Speedy 30!!
As promised, here are pics!

thanks again to everyone and have a wonderful new year!:smile:

here are some pics of the speedy. i'll take pics of the thompson hobo later.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Eiram762/CIMG1575e.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Eiram762/CIMG1574e.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Eiram762/CIMG1570e.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Eiram762/CIMG1569e.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Eiram762/CIMG1566e.jpg

i'm going on sunday (my actual birthday) to the LV store in boston to pick out a luggage tag and have it heatstamped for my speedy. yay!! thanks to everyone at tPF, i've learned so much from you guys!