Dilemma - Which Hermes Bag to Save For

GreyFeather

Nov 16, 2011
Hi all,

I have just taken my first foray into the world of designer handbags with a Mulberry purchase, and of course have now developed an addiction.

And what should I have set my sights on next? Well, typically, none other than the cream of the crop - Hermes!

Now I'm by no means comfortably able to afford Hermes bags, and will have to save to bring one home, so I want to make sure I make the right choice and do not regret my decision.

I do think the Birkin and Kelly are truly stunning but I'm not convinced a B or K would suit me, and I'm also not sure I would feel comfortable carrying one. I'm interested in Hermes because of their exceptional craftsmanship and would prefer a more practical, everyday, under-the-radar style.

I was set on the Jypsiere (although the price is slightly daunting), then changed my mind to a Picotin, and now I'm just not sure. Would appreciate any recommendations/thoughts/PICS! on both bags, and any others for a 26yr old with a fairly simple/casual dress style and a fairly laid back lifestyle...

Also do the Picotins come in multiple styles? I've noticed a Picotin Lock style selling in a few colours on the Hermes website, but have seen pictures of Picotins in many and varied colours and styles that look a little different from the lock. If so are the other styles discontinued, or are they still available through the boutiques and at what sort of price point?

Thank you in advance ladies for any help you are able to give :smile:

Philippa

Ahh - the Picotin PM, MM & GM. Ignore my question about other Picotic models. I would still be interested to hear about the availability and price points of the various Picotins though!

May I suggest you also consider the Lindy? Can be a little dressy or completely casual, hand- or shoulder-carried, lots of pockets, several sizes. . . .

May I suggest you also consider the Lindy? Can be a little dressy or completely casual, hand- or shoulder-carried, lots of pockets, several sizes. . . .
this is exactly what i was going to suggest. i like how it can be carried so many ways and it's a nice size. pretty unique looking too.

Hi Philippa, other bags I can think of that you can consider besides the ones already suggested by the ladies here are:-
victoria
so kelly
toolbox
marwari
garden party
plume
herbag

the bags usually comes in different sizes and leathers and a variety of colours (some classic some seasonal)...also do you like messenger style, shoulder carry, elbow carry, tote or a combination of these..

i suggest you have a look at hermes.com (although stock varies all the time so not all bags available at the same time but you can click on the different countries to get an idea, try UK, USA and Australia) and also research the threads here in the forum, start in the Hermes Reference Library to get an idea of style, leather and colours....
i see you are located in the UK, if you are in in London/Manchester/Glasgow or travelling to any city with a H boutique, try the bags in the store to see which suits you..

good luck with your search!

If you're not ready for the B or K, what about the constance? They are truely classics (one of Jackie O's favs). Might I also suggest a jige clutch? Can't go wrong with anything from H.

Take your time!!! Visit an Hermes boutique and try on as many different styles as possible. YOu're young and your taste may change quickly. Hermes is too expensive to make a mistake.

I agree, the Lindy is still an under the radar bag and very easy to just pick up and go. I also think buying a preloved Lindy is the way to go. With some diligence and patience, you can buy a good preowned lindy for around $4500, or if you prefer, a more minty preowned lindy for $5100 or so. I sold my preloved 2007 Lindy that still had the plastic on the hardware for about $4800. The current retail price for a lindy in the 30 size is $6100. Anyway, these price ranges are what I would consider a good target price point for you, at least as a starting point. I'd also recommend buying from a reseller who prices preowned bags reasonably. The recommended resellers list is a great resource.