Dilemma: should I return Blue Layette City?

Keep it!

If we always stressed about what could happen we would never be able to buy anything, let alone a white/light blue/light colored bbag.

If you love it - keep it :smile:

Still don't know what to do:shrugs: Love the color so much. But when I search more information on Care and Maintenance, it scares me even more. I just wrote an email to my SA at Holt Renfrew asking her about the foreseen problem. Wonder how she would response. I'll keep you all post about my decision

I think I might return that. But then I am a coward! I don't want to pay that sort of money for a fading bag. The Bbags I own are Tabac, Teal, Black and Anthracite. Last year I sold a beautiful ivory leather Prada bag. It lay in it's dustbag for years (apart from a couple of outings) because I was too afraid to use it!

True, That stinks when You have to return something due to the "what if" factor.

That's life. I do not want to dwell on all the "What if"s. I said you should return it but if you think you might regret or you will keep thinking of it, I'd say, Keep it. It's healthier for your soul.
:idea:

It's so hard to find that perfect "it" color so if this is yours, then keep it. Bal has an unwritten warranty (well, this is what an SA from Bal LA told me a few weeks ago) for the first year. So, if you notice any fading issues, they will fix it for you. But, you never know how long this will take and what if it happens again a few months later?

I would probably use it for another week or two and see if you get comfortable with it or if you still have that nagging feeling. You should be able to enjoy your bag freely without wondering "what if".

I really feel your predicament. I, too, am in love with the blue layette but my experience with sky blue has made me very wary and sad. I was going to say if you purchased the blue layette from a store like NM they would surely take the bag back. After 5 months my sky blue faded terribly to green/yellow. NM took it back and offered me a new bag or credit my account. They were so nice about it ! If fact, the SA told me that they are aware of Bal's color changing problems. She mentioned that Bal uses only vegetables dyes and some clear coat to give it that shine. I know something about clear coats and they yellow over time when exposed to heat and direct sunlight. Good luck in your decision; I hope everything works out for you.

It's so hard to find that perfect "it" color so if this is yours, then keep it. Bal has an unwritten warranty (well, this is what an SA from Bal LA told me a few weeks ago) for the first year. So, if you notice any fading issues, they will fix it for you. But, you never know how long this will take and what if it happens again a few months later?

I would probably use it for another week or two and see if you get comfortable with it or if you still have that nagging feeling. You should be able to enjoy your bag freely without wondering "what if".

Thanks for the information about unwritten warranty. I haven't used the bag yet because of the weather but I will use it soon because I want to know if I really like it not. I love the color and I'm pretty sure I will keep it, at least 80% sure.

I really feel your predicament. I, too, am in love with the blue layette but my experience with sky blue has made me very wary and sad. I was going to say if you purchased the blue layette from a store like NM they would surely take the bag back. After 5 months my sky blue faded terribly to green/yellow. NM took it back and offered me a new bag or credit my account. They were so nice about it ! If fact, the SA told me that they are aware of Bal's color changing problems. She mentioned that Bal uses only vegetables dyes and some clear coat to give it that shine. I know something about clear coats and they yellow over time when exposed to heat and direct sunlight. Good luck in your decision; I hope everything works out for you.

You're so lucky that they accepted your return. Can you post the picture of your green/yellowish sky blue bag? Does it look so horrible? I look at my bag more carefully in the natural light, I could see the tint of green in there. But I do love the color, oh my, but I think I might keep the bag and be careful on sunny day, which we don't have a lot here :shrugs:. All we have is snow and snow.

i say return it too ... it's a pretty color but it's so light ... i am almost 100% sure it'll fade, turn yellowish after a few months... the handles will for sure get dirty almost immediately! i agree with virgo, get a CP or MU in bleu layette if you truely love the color, and get a bag in a darker color ... perhaps marine! :P

Sorry, Nat_CAN, I never took a picture of the bag when it changed color. I noticed the horrible change when I took out the mirror from the bag and the color was like night and day and worse it (the bag) wasn't even blue anymore like the mirror ! Just avoid the sun and heat; blue layette IS such a beautiful color.

It definitely looks like a light enough blue that it will yellow with time. It's your first Balenciaga and so it's likely to get a lot of use, you should be able to use it *all* the time without the fear of fading and yellowing in the back of your mind. I would exchange it, even though it's just gorgeous!!

I wish you well,

Bridget

I completely agree with Bridget.
Although the colour is lovely and eye catching, as it's your first Bbag, you'll use it lots, especially through the summer. Direct sunlight is what will fade and yellow the bag, so 'oxidation' is inevitable. If I were you, I'd go for a safer darker colour or it might put you off Balenciaga for life, and that'd be a shame as Balenciagas are lovely user-friendly bags :yes: