Dilemma! Please help me make a decision!

should I keep the On My Side

• Yes! It’s gorgeous!

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Pass! Not a fan.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Wait for a Birkin!

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

sweetshimmer

Aug 31, 2014
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased the black On My Side purse because I fell in love with it at the store! It’s such a beautiful bag and the leather is lovely. I am concerned about how this bag will age. I really want a workhorse type of bag. I already have too many bags that I baby. This is dark and calfskin so do you think it will hold up? Can this be used as a daily bag?

Do you like this bag? I haven’t heard or read much about it so I can’t tell what other bag lovers think about it.

Is there anything comparable that has caught your eye lately? I was in a bit of a rush so I couldn’t really check out the stock at my store.

Also, my husband thinks that this bag will feel a bit dated in a few years because of LV details on the side (I keep my bags forever). What are your thoughts? Is it a classic? I have a Capucine which feels like a classic to me.

Lastly, I am a huge bag lover. I buy bags not because of the brand but because how they make my heart feel. I have bags across all brands but lately I have been really wanting a Birkin as I love Hermes and all of their beautiful products. It’s just a nagging feeling that won’t go away. My friends think I have so many LV bags (which I agree with) so I should focus on Hermes for a bit to diversify my collection and maybe even get a Birkin if given the chance.

What do you think I should do? (I know I posted in LV so I’m expecting lots of LV love but would love to hear what you think!)

Hold out for a B? Keep the on my side? Help, please!

I might not be the best person to ask because I don't like the Birkin (and don't find handheld-only a good option for workhorse-type big bags), BUT I would keep the On My Side.

Thing is, I understand what he means about the sides, but one of my favorite LV purses is the W bag - same thing, LV on the sides. So even though seasons change, I don't think the placement of the logo specifically dates a purse.

I will say, though, that if you didn't get the pebbled leather, then it will scratch as it ages, it's just what leather does. I don't mind because I like my bags to be clean/looked-after but well-used, but if you'll be bothered by that, I'd opt for a different leather finish.

Reactions: sweetshimmer
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! You’ve given me so much to think about!
I might not be the best person to ask because I don't like the Birkin (and don't find handheld-only a good option for workhorse-type big bags), BUT I would keep the On My Side.

Thing is, I understand what he means about the sides, but one of my favorite LV purses is the W bag - same thing, LV on the sides. So even though seasons change, I don't think the placement of the logo specifically dates a purse.

I will say, though, that if you didn't get the pebbled leather, then it will scratch as it ages, it's just what leather does. I don't mind because I like my bags to be clean/looked-after but well-used, but if you'll be bothered by that, I'd opt for a different leather finish.
you so

Birkin. I’ve recently begun to feel that if I’d taken all the money spent on LV and put it towards Hermes, I could have a Birkin by now.

If Classic is what you are after, there is nothing more classic than Birkin.

It is a beautiful bag, similar to the Dior tote, if that’s what you are into.
If I was doing the workhorse bag thing, I think I would go towards the City Streamer which (to me) is very similar to a Birkin.
You won’t get offered a Birkin easily, so if you want something right now and not after purchasing $$$$$$ worth of goods I say go for it.

Unless you are a handheld only bag person, I definitely would not recommend Birkin as your workhorse. A shoulder or crossbody strap in a workhorse is very useful.
In addition, Birkin is heavy and you'd need 35 (comparable to On the Side in size), so again, not a very practical option for work. If you love On the Side, I'd stay with this bag if I were you, but if it's not love, then go for something else.

Reactions: Greentea
I definitely prefer the Birkin. But you may feel the urge to baby it, since it’s not a cheap bag. Pre-loved can be $10-$17 k. Although there have been stories of people walking into Hermès and instantly being offered a new B, which costs less.

I’m not sure I’m a big fan of the On My Side. For the price, it seems there are other bags that fit your needs better. Do you really think you can use it as a “workhorse” and not feel the need to baby it?

I owned 2 Birkin 35's and sold them. Too heavy and eventually too large for my needs (thank goodness lol). They are 2.8 to 4 pounds empty, depending on the leather you get. A birkin 35 is definitely a workhorse bag and beautifully made without a doubt. I am now a mini/small bag girl.

That said, I think the On My Side bag is GORGEOUS! Caught my eye in the store. If I still needed large bags, I wouldn't hesitate on this one. I don't think it will look dated at all. I personally think it is LV's prettiest bag. Very classy and not overdone.