Dilemma: Need advice about traveling with LV

honey_b

Jul 23, 2009
Hey folks! I'm just looking for some guidance from my fellow TPF-ers. A friend and I are planning a trip to Chicago next monday to wednesday. We live in Canada and will have to cross the border. I'm just wondering if I should bring along my Galliera PM so that it can come shopping with me in Chicago. My friend thinks it's a good idea because she has heard that the Chicago boutique SA (in a lot of stores) treat you like you're nothing to them and she thinks that they'll at least be nice if they see an LV.
While I love to bring my bag shopping with me ,I have two concerns.

One: We are planning on doing a lot of walking and I'm concerned about rain (and resulting rain damage on the bag). I realize I could just bring an umbrella but it doesn't always cover you. I don't want to leave my LV at the hotel unattended.

Two: Even though the bag is a year old, it still has the pale vachetta. I'm afraid that going through customs, if someone recognizes the brand they'll think it's new and give me a hard time about it. (This could be even worse if I decide to purchase a new LV on the trip)

Any advice?

I have not been traveling in US but customs have been ok with my Beverly GM. But I'm worried about my vachetta when going through the security on airports, because they may put my bag directly on the x-ray belt. I think it's best to put the bag in some plastic cover before security. :oh:

Take it with you. It will be fine. ;) Maybe put the galleria inside of a big tote for security check points and keep a collapsible tote inside in the event of rain. It always works for me.

Here is a photo

Have fun in Chi!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cacon 019.JPG
    cacon 019.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 248
  • cacon 020.JPG
    cacon 020.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 241
http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=14745&metric=false

The weather does not appear to be on your side. If you are really worried, I would leave it at home. Although it would be fun to take your bag on your travels.

If you are worried about customs, do you still have the receipt to take along? Another thing you can do is take a picture in the airport you are leaving through holding a newspaper or your boarding card - wearing your Galliera. This shows that when you departed, you already had it.

I know how you feel about leaving it behind at the hotel. I do not like to do that either, although my husband feels that it is "irrational". The day you do not take it, put up your do not disturb sign and hide the bag behind something like the dresser or bed.

Have fun in Chicago!

Last edited:
Take it with you. It will be fine. ;) Maybe put the galleria inside of a big tote for security check points and keep a collapsible tote inside in the event of rain. It always works for me.

Here is a photo

Have fun in Chi!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah! I should have thought of that!
Also, I guess I should have mentioned that I'm taking the train to Chicago from Dearborn, Michigan, not flying. I have to drive across the border from Windsor into Michigan.

I say to take precautions, when needed, but to definitely bring it. It will bring you much joy. If you don't bring it, every time you see someone else with an LV downtown, you will wish you had brought yours.

As far as SAs giving preferential treatment to LV carriers, I say hogwash. A couple of weeks ago, I took a purse-hunting field trip down Michigan Ave. I wore a simple black dress, nice shoes, pink scarf, and I carried a plum patent Coach sabrina. I was greeted warmly and thoroughly attended to everywhere - from Chanel to Hermes to Barney's to LV to Loro Piana and more. All the SAs were extremely helpful and kind.

As far as SAs giving preferential treatment to LV carriers, I say hogwash. A couple of weeks ago, I took a purse-hunting field trip down Michigan Ave. I wore a simple black dress, nice shoes, pink scarf, and I carried a plum patent Coach sabrina. I was greeted warmly and thoroughly attended to everywhere - from Chanel to Hermes to Barney's to LV to Loro Piana and more. All the SAs were extremely helpful and kind.

That's good to hear!:smile:

if you are worried about customs, try to bring the receipt, credit card statement, or something to show proof of purchase just in case. i think you should be fine though. i bought a bag back from france and even though i stated it on the customs card, they didnt even ask to see it. i kept it packed in my carry on luggage.

I do not have any advice on customs, but I would use the tote suggestion, Brilliant! As far as LV SA's in Chicago, I have had some great experiences and not so great. I prefer shopping at LV boutique in Nordtrom's rather than the standalone boutique. I personally feel the LV SA's at Nordstroms are more helpful and friendlier. Both stores are on Michigan Avenue, a few blocks apart. Have fun shopping!

Here is a photo

Have fun in Chi!
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's exactly what I do! :yes: I found one of those reusable plastic shopping bags. I fold it up in my Beaubourg and put it in there if it rains. It's a great protector. I also keep a trash bag in my Keepall incase of a rain shower. (I'm sure I look stupid but at least by bag isn't wet! :P )

I do not have any advice on customs, but I would use the tote suggestion, Brilliant! As far as LV SA's in Chicago, I have had some great experiences and not so great. I prefer shopping at LV boutique in Nordtrom's rather than the standalone boutique. I personally feel the LV SA's at Nordstroms are more helpful and friendlier. Both stores are on Michigan Avenue, a few blocks apart. Have fun shopping!

ITA.. the SA's at the Nordstroms boutique are the warmest and most accommodating.. especially the manager.. :smile: and you do not have to be carrying an LV to be treated such.. bring what's most comfortable for you...
have fun!! i miss Chicago...

I have a Sa at one of the standalone boutique's in Chicago and I love her! I have never met her in person only on the phone and she is amazing! I do know what you mean about some of the store's. I would for sure take one of your lv's cause you will miss them when you see someone with one. I missed my monogram when I just went to Vegas. I took my xs Mahina because it is the only small shoulder lv bag I have and every time I saw monogram I was home sick. Have fun!

First of all...HOWARDU09....grrreat idea. Now all I need to find is to find a tote worthy of carrying the LV, lol!

As for Honey_B, don't worry about the x-ray belt. I've taken my mono carryall through a tons of airport security, stuffed it in overhead bins, blah, blah, blah, and it still has that almost-new pale vechetta trim.

I am going through pretty much the same thing right now; traveling from Can to US. you just need to go to the canadian customs office and they have this piece of paper that they'll fill out for you, stamp it and you just need to have the card on you when you travel. for the first time its better to bring a receipt so they can fill out the card accurately, but once they fill out the card you'll never have to carry around receipts again!