Dilemma: Hermes Scarf Newbie

Jul 25, 2013
Hi Ladies,

Saturday I am going to Hermes to buy my first scarf! I was looking on the website and there are so many options I cannot decide! I am afraid going into the store that the SA might not be helpful. I have heard that the SAs are not always friendly.

Right now I am deciding between:

Fleurs et Papillons de Tissus black
Colliers de Chiens beige
Sous l'Egide de Mars orange
La Promenade de Platon black
Le Songe de la Licorne white

I primarily wear black, white, and beige clothing.

Any advice for a newbie on which one I should get?

Thank you!

Hi Ladies,

Saturday I am going to Hermes to buy my first scarf! I was looking on the website and there are so many options I cannot decide! I am afraid going into the store that the SA might not be helpful. I have heard that the SAs are not always friendly.

Right now I am deciding between:

Fleurs et Papillons de Tissus black
Colliers de Chiens beige
Sous l'Egide de Mars orange
La Promenade de Platon black
Le Songe de la Licorne white

I primarily wear black, white, and beige clothing.

Any advice for a newbie on which one I should get?

Thank you!
Welcome ChanelAddict143! I am so very excited for you that you are going to buy your first scarf. I bought my first one over a year ago and now I am totally addicted to Hermes silks. Nobody out there gets close to their quality and design.

You have come to the right place for advice. I'm sure many lovely ladies will help you out and give you their opinions for your first scarf.

OK, first, you have great wardrobe colors to use as a base for scarves. I looked at each one on your list (I have a bit of time tonight, DH is working) and my opinion is the following:

I would say get the Sous l'Egide de Mars in orange. The reason being is that it is the most colorful scarf of the bunch that goes with your wardrobe. I found that if I end up buying a scarf that has the same colors as my wardrobe, it doesn't give the "punch of color" effect I am looking for. It all looks samey, iykwim. I think the orange scarf will serve you well through all the seasons as well. The design also goes right up to the border so you can tie it any way you want and it will look visually interesting.

If you could buy a second one, I would pick le songe de la licorne in white. It's a nice spring/summer scarf (heck even winter if you want....winter white) and is very elegant. I think it will work nicely for your wardrobe.

As for SAs not being friendly, my advice would be to walk in and choose someone not busy and tell them you love Hermes silks and are looking to buy your first scarf and would like help to pick one out. I think most SAs love a "virgin" scarf buyer and would go the extra mile to make your experience pleasant. I would also tell them you are interested in their fragrances and ask them to put a couple of samples in your bag of customer favorites. They are VERY generous with perfume samples and I find the little bottles so so useful when traveling.

Reactions: celine666666
How exciting! I bought my first H scarf about a year ago....C'est la Fete CW4....and it was the start of an addiction! Honestly, just like MYH said, most SAs love helping you choose a scarf (or two...or five...). I would suggest wearing an outfit with the colors you normally wear, or plan to wear your scarf with, along with your makeup done/hair styled how you would normally wear your scarf with so your SA can get a good idea on what colorways look best against your complexion. They are usually very good about suggesting something that will make your face glow! Bring your list of what you are looking for, try them all on, and be open to ideas from your SA about patterns and colors. I am sure you will walk away with something beautiful! Good luck!!!

My first scarf started my H addiction. I wanted to play it safe so went with white but realize that the brighter more colorful scarves really add pop to my wardrobe. I also wear a lot of black, white and beige and personally, I love the Fleurs et Papillons de Tissus pattern. However, I agree with MYH above to pick a color that is the most colorful and yet matches your wardrobe. In looking at the ones you listed, I think you should get the Sous l'Egide de Mars - it will look lovely with black, white and beige.

Don't worry about the SA's, remember you are a paying customer and should be treated as such. I've been very lucky and have had nothing but nice SA's when I've gone to H and most are happy to help you pick a scarf. Good Luck!

I had the same worry as you before getting my first H scarf. I researched and researched, but could not decide which to get. I went to the store and it was sooo busy during the weekend. No one approached us and asked if we needed help. My friend decided to ask someone to help us after watching me wandering around in lost. However, the SA who helped me was really patient and friendly. I tried like over 10 different scarfs. >.> She did a different tie for every single one!!! I was ^_^. I ended getting something totally different from the set I made after researching. It jst stood out and too pretty to pass.

So, I totally suggest trying it in the store!

How exciting! I bought my first H scarf about a year ago....C'est la Fete CW4....and it was the start of an addiction! Honestly, just like MYH said, most SAs love helping you choose a scarf (or two...or five...). I would suggest wearing an outfit with the colors you normally wear, or plan to wear your scarf with, along with your makeup done/hair styled how you would normally wear your scarf with so your SA can get a good idea on what colorways look best against your complexion. They are usually very good about suggesting something that will make your face glow! Bring your list of what you are looking for, try them all on, and be open to ideas from your SA about patterns and colors. I am sure you will walk away with something beautiful! Good luck!!!

This is excellent advice. You can look at pictures all day long, but nothing can substitute trying the scarves on yourself. A good SA will have an idea of what goes with your complexion and the colors you usually wear.

I have had so many experiences where I've gone in to the boutique with a very specific couple of scarves to try on, and walked out with something completely different. Try to find an SA you are comfortable with, and be open to the possibilities!

Thank you everyone for your responses!! They have been very helpful for me. I will definitely go in and try them on to see how they look against my complexion. I am going to go right when the store opens so hopefully it won't be as busy.

I was looking at some other threads and someone mentioned knotting cards. Does that come with your scarf purchase or is that something you have to ask for? Is it free or do you pay for it?

Thank you everyone for your responses!! They have been very helpful for me. I will definitely go in and try them on to see how they look against my complexion. I am going to go right when the store opens so hopefully it won't be as busy.

I was looking at some other threads and someone mentioned knotting cards. Does that come with your scarf purchase or is that something you have to ask for? Is it free or do you pay for it?
Free my dear! Just ask for them when your SA is ringing up your purchase.

Thank you MYH! I will definitely ask when she's ringing up my purchase! Do you think it would be worth it to get a scarf ring as well?
WelL, you are talking to a die hard scarf fan so my answer would be yes. I think a very useful one is the Bolduc. I also like the chain d'ancre ones but find them rather heavy at H. I would recommend you look on etsy for a horn one and it will only cost you about $20.

YAY! I am so excited for your first scarf purchase, ChanelAddict143!! I agree with MYH and others here that the Mars scarf would be a fabulous first time buy! The colors and detail are amazing! Welcome to the world of Hermes scarf Addiction! Have fun at the boutique! The SA will be excited for you when they hear that this is your first scarf purchase! I find that they are all very helpful. You always remember your first... I have collected Hermes scarves for four years now, and each one is so special to me. My rule is that whatever I buy, I wear. That helps me justify the price! I do believe Hermes scarves are worth the investment. You should do a search on this forum to see how they are made. Very interesting and well worth the cost. HAVE FUN and please, come back to show us your purchase! :smile:

WelL, you are talking to a die hard scarf fan so my answer would be yes. I think a very useful one is the Bolduc. I also like the chain d'ancre ones but find them rather heavy at H. I would recommend you look on etsy for a horn one and it will only cost you about $20.
MYH I saw the Bolduc online and I really like it. I am going to take a look at it Saturday as well!

YAY! I am so excited for your first scarf purchase, ChanelAddict143!! I agree with MYH and others here that the Mars scarf would be a fabulous first time buy! The colors and detail are amazing! Welcome to the world of Hermes scarf Addiction! Have fun at the boutique! The SA will be excited for you when they hear that this is your first scarf purchase! I find that they are all very helpful. You always remember your first... I have collected Hermes scarves for four years now, and each one is so special to me. My rule is that whatever I buy, I wear. That helps me justify the price! I do believe Hermes scarves are worth the investment. You should do a search on this forum to see how they are made. Very interesting and well worth the cost. HAVE FUN and please, come back to show us your purchase! :smile:
Ladybaga, I am very excited for my first purchase! Any threads on here you recommend I take a look at to get more information on the scarves? I will definitely post my purchase!

Ladybaga, I am very excited for my first purchase! Any threads on here you recommend I take a look at to get more information on the scarves? I will definitely post my purchase!

Hi ChanelAddict143, If you type in Metier Festival in the box "Search this Thread" in the Hermes forum, there will be lots of info on scarf design, history, production, etc. (Sorry that my computer skills are so poor, I don't know how to paste the links. :smile:)

Recently in the Wall Street Journal online there was a piece written called, "Every Scarf Has A Story." Try googling that, and more info will come up. (By the way, the artist of the Mars scarf, Pierre Marie, is featured in the article. Hope this helps on your journey.)