dilemma! do you sell your classic or your rare piece?

Which one to sell?

• 20p blue chevron mini coco handle

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • 12-series m/l black caviar flap w/ 24k ghw

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • keep them both! find another way to save!

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters

azzazza

Jun 7, 2019
Hi all! I’ve been thinking about putting some of my Chanel collection towards a car or down payment instead (thinking of moving out of the big city next spring) and I could use some help from anyone who’s been in a similar boat or had sellers regret.

My current ”purse peace” collection is a 26-series reissue camera bag in black/gold, a 20p light blue mini chevron caviar coco handle, and a series 12 m/l classic flap in black caviar 24k ghw. I would truly be content not buying any more Chanel beyond these for a good many years.

The reissue camera bag isn’t an option to sell as it was a gift from family. Before the pandemic I used her at least every weekend.

I bought the 20p coco handle (similar to the one below, picture not mine) as a bit of a consolation buy after a personal tragedy, and she is the one pop of color in my bag collection. I don’t use most of my bags during the pandemic but she probably gets the most use now (a few times per month.) She does show some corner wear and color transfer. However I just haven’t seen many shades of that blue floating around so I feel she’s really special/hard to replace, and because of the wear I actually feel pretty carefree with her. That being said I worry coco handles are a bit of a trend...

The m/l flap makes my heart sing as a vintage/classics lover and the quality is leagues better than my modern bags. She’s in pristine condition. I’ve spent some of my money getting her replated at LS when the lock started to fade, so the gold is perfect. Only thing is even in normal times she’d maybe get used a handful of times per year (Vacations, nice dinners).

I use Longchamp totes for casual errands so capacity isn’t a factor. Both if these bags if sold now would probably fetch roughly what I paid for them, and maybe a small profit if sold after the next price increase.

So my question is, which would you sell and why? Would you do it asap or wait till next year? Or would you keep them both?

1601092120947.jpeg

The camerabag was a present and you want to keep it. The coco handle you love to use, and if you have sellers remorse it will be hard to get back in the same color. The classic flap that you don't use makes your heart sing.

If you really need the money, you could sell all of the bags. It sounds like you do still care about them. And as long as you are emotionally attatched to them, don't let any of them go. They all have good reasons to keep or sell them.

Love your bags and keep them, or detatch yourself emotionally and sell them. I am prone to sellers regret and adore my bags so I would keep them and find another way to generate more income.

Thanks for the sanity check y’all! You’re right - in the grand scheme I’ve enough of an emergency fund to not sell, and have been able to save in the past when I dedicate myself to it. I think a lot of this stems from guilt about having such expensive non essential items during the pandemic crisis, when we’re not on as stable footing as before.
Don't feel guilty about this. You didn't bought the bags now. You didin't went in debt for them. You don't have a huge collection and a lot of bags you don't use. And you love all your bags.

If you already have an emergency fund and were able to save in the past, I'm quite sure that you can do that again.

I don't know if you ever read the money thread on here, but there are a lot of tips and tricks on there too.

Reactions: C.Ly
My understanding is that a 12 series were not 24k plated. So if I understand it that is why you had it plated at LS? You seem to use this one the least and if you like the vintage look, you could sell this and get one of the older bags at a later point in time.

My understanding is that a 12 series were not 24k plated. So if I understand it that is why you had it plated at LS? You seem to use this one the least and if you like the vintage look, you could sell this and get one of the older bags at a later point in time.
It’s actually got the 24k hallmark but the gold had started chipping, so I got it fixed up. That being said, I think if push comes to shove you bring up a good point that it’s not super hard to find a black classic flap, even from an older series.

Whatever you do, please don’t sell the 24K plated gold hardware bag. Those bags are the highest quality Chanel pieces (IMO). I personally would let the coco handle go. I agree, I fear the coco handle leans trendy.

Good luck!

Reactions: azzazza