Dilemma about my engagement ring

luxuryfever

Oct 24, 2009
Hello ladies, I'm in desperate need of advice as I do not want to approach my fiancé about this until I have made a decision for myself. My fiancé proposed to me with a beautiful 2ct excellent round diamond stone set on a plain 14ct gold band, in the hopes that we would go together and choose the right setting for me.

I am normally a very simple girl and don't like too much attention on myself. However, I am also extremely indecisive and always second guess my decisions... This is what is happening right now.

When we went to the jeweler to look at settings, I expressed to her that I want something simple and not too much bling. I work with children majority of the time, and see families of various demographics so I don't want to come off obnoxious. The jeweler suggested that I go with very small diamonds around the band set in platinum, as this would be a secure bet being that I work with children. I listened to the jeweler's advice and went for it. However, I was not very ecstatic with the ring when she gave me the final product.

I am thinking that I would like to change the setting to larger diamonds around the band, but don't know if it is possible at this point. I would also like to add diamonds on the inside of the ring (the part that actually holds the center stone). The other option that I am considering is to go back to the original, plain band, with which he proposed. Please excuse my amateur explanation of things as I do not know the proper terminology when it comes to jewelry and engagement rings. Please tell me your opinions/suggestions, and whether it is too late to make such changes.

The original setting ImageUploadedByPurseForum1382369023.431175.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1382369339.369817.jpg

New settings
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1382369360.903176.jpg

Diamond band that I like more ImageUploadedByPurseForum1382369402.735483.jpg (not the halo, only the band around the center stone)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!!!

I like the band you like with the setting in the picture, my worry is that if you go too big, you'll make your fabulous center stone look smaller. I think she chose that size to enhance the size of the stone but if you think the thicker band will make you happier go for it! I loooove your center stone but it's hard though to not see what the two bands would look like

I think they both look nice. It really depends on the look you are going for? I know a delicate band has been very popular lately, but you have such a nice sized stone that you could go up in size on the diamonds on the band and it would be lovely as well. But you should love the ring and if you don't, then don't settle. I also don't think they will be able to change the diamond size in the band, the band is made to fit the diamond size, so if you go for bigger diamonds in the band, they will most likely have to change out the setting completely. Good luck with your decision.

I think your ring is beautiful the way it is now, but if you're not happy, maybe you should see about having it remade (if you don't think it will upset your fiance). I agree with NikkisABagGirl that the setting will likely have to be remade. Have you considered using the original plain setting, and adding a diamond band on each side of the solitaire? Solitaires can be fun, because there are so many different ways you change up the look with different bands, or even a wrap/ring guard.

I think your ring is beautiful the way it is now, but if you're not happy, maybe you should see about having it remade (if you don't think it will upset your fiance). I agree with NikkisABagGirl that the setting will likely have to be remade. Have you considered using the original plain setting, and adding a diamond band on each side of the solitaire? Solitaires can be fun, because there are so many different ways you change up the look with different bands, or even a wrap/ring guard.

If you change it at all, I'd go back to a solitaire with NO diamonds in the band and have your current setting made into your wedding band.

These both have a good point - what kind of wedding band are you thinking? You have a lot of options there as well!

Thank you all so very much for your comments and suggestions! I am going to consider your input while I think of whether or not I will be making changes to my current setting. I have to go to the jeweler sometime soon to get the ring resized and will speak to her then about resetting it if I choose to do so. I also have to think of how to approach the situation so to not upset the fiancé...

I have not considered adding two thin bands to either side. I'm going to look up pictures of that now as I've never seen anyone do that. That may be a good idea. Thank you! Also, I realize that if I go with the bigger diamonds the setting will have to be completely redone.. But it may be worth it if I wear this ring for years and years to come. I have not yet thought about the wedding band but it wi probably be set with bugged diamonds than what I have on the current setting.

Anyhow, I will have to think a little longer. I may end up keeping the setting as is, as I realize that it's beautiful this way also. I will post an update once I have made up my mind.

Thank you all for all your advice and input!!!

We will be picking it out together.

I'm still deciding on what to do with the setting. I've worn my ring all day today (with the updated setting) and am starting to like it more... This is too difficult of a decision... I told my fiancé last night that I'm contemplating switching it to original, and although he was a bit dumbfounded he was okay with it. So really it's up to me. Help!!!

Your current setting is gorgeous, but I love it's original setting. You cannot go wrong with a simple setting, especially since your stone is SOO beautiful! Like ame said, have your current setting made into your wedding band. If sometimes you want more sparkle, you can stack some pretty eternity bands. It will look beautiful no matter what you choose to do! Be sure to let us know how it all turns out :biggrin: