Difficult buyer

I sold a brand new Chanel patent jumbo (retails for about $3200 and I sold it for $2700) and now the buyer is claiming that it has a rip on the leather on the chain. I have offered a refund but she keeps pushing wanting money back for a coupon she had and now wants me to give her $300 back so she can sell it on ebay. How can a seller protect herself from buyers like this?

This week is also crazy for me as I teach and it is the first week of classes with our offices flooded and dealing with her continual emails is difficult because I don't have a computer during the day.

Any suggestions?

Here is a link for the auction:

xxxxxxx
members are never allowed to post their eBay ID or auctions here.

Eugh! I just had a nightmare buyer like this. She probably realized that she over spent and is looking for something. Did she sent you pictures of the damage? Would it be worth offering her a half of what she's asking just to shut her up? IMO she wants to keep the bag, but is looking for some money off and is willing to lie to get it.

^^ Yup! A lot of buyers seem to think if they just ask for a partial refund and create enough of a stink, a seller will flex. Not only is feedback held over a seller's head but if the buyer is successful, it only reinforces bad behavior. Like giving a kid a gold star and a piece of candy when they stole something from a classmate. It's just wrong.

OP, good for you for telling them to return it for a full refund. I've found that's a good way to call a buyer's bluff. Interestingly, they usually don't want to return it... :thinking:

I am sorry for posting the listing. I thought the pics would help to show that the bag is new.

I think you are right in that she is trying to get more money off. Her ratings are very good on ebay so I did not expect this.

Of course her ratings on Ebay are good, sellers can only leave positive feedback now. Go to www.toolhaus.org and enter her User ID, you may get another presentation on her feedback received and left.

Okay, I have offered a refund upon inspection of the bag, but now she is delaying sending the bag back! She received it Monday and now it is Friday. She says that the weather is bad. It is a $3000 bag and she may be wearing it!

Okay, I have offered a refund upon inspection of the bag, but now she is delaying sending the bag back! She received it Monday and now it is Friday. She says that the weather is bad. It is a $3000 bag and she may be wearing it!

The weather could be a legitimate reason since it has been a little whacky everywhere but I would think after 5 days she would have had some sort of opportunity to ship it back. If a buyer is returning an item, I always put a deadline on it. eBay and Paypal do it, so should you. Tell her you need to have it shipped by Monday. A week is more than enough time.

If she opens a claim she'll have to provide a tracking number along with insurance and signature...and be subject to a deadline anyway.

Buyers like this are a pain but sometimes you have to be firm with them or they'll take you for a ride. :sad:

The saga continues!

I really wanted to be done with it and agreed to the partial refund! Paypal did not offer a partial refund so the buyer said to send her the money. After much deliberation (knowing it was risky), I did.

Minutes later she files an ebay dispute asking for the exact amount of money that I just sent her!!!

I contact her through ebay asking what happened? I was thoroughly confused! She claimed I could scam her by sending her the money through paypal and not ebay. She then refunded the money!!

I spoke with paypal who referred me to ebay and they said that I did the right thing...since they tried to walk me through the partial repayment...

They said they would contact her and explain that I was doing the right thing...

How do I get out of this?

^ Sounds like she's stressed and confused, to me.

I'd let eBay talk to her - hopefully, they can calm her down and you can repay the money to her (assuming you still want to do that?).

I called paypal again and they refunded her the money she wanted attached to the transaction so hopefully she will be happy.

Lesson to be learned - if the buyer seems difficult DO NOT SELL TO HER! It will just be more of the same!

I hope to know by tomorrow if she is happy.

Im so sorry OP for experiencing this, you are right, this is much worst than non paying bidder. Honestly, if I am in your shoes, I will just ask her to return the bag and refund her money. I've noticed lately that a lot of buyers are complaining and whining and asking for partial refund. It is so annoying.

how can you prove that a bag that comes back to the seller damaged was not like that when sent to the buyer? I am awaiting a return of a LV and am afraid she has done something to it, I have about 25 pictures of it, she did leave positive feedback, then two days later said it was damaged and wanted a refund!! Tired of buyers getting so many benefits and breaks, it is the seller that feeds ebay!!

how can you prove that a bag that comes back to the seller damaged was not like that when sent to the buyer? I am awaiting a return of a LV and am afraid she has done something to it, I have about 25 pictures of it, she did leave positive feedback, then two days later said it was damaged and wanted a refund!! Tired of buyers getting so many benefits and breaks, it is the seller that feeds ebay!!

Prove it to WHOM? Did your buyer file an ebay or PP dispute??
Ebay is a BUYER's world.. ATM.

I really hate paypal and ebay when things like this happen... Unfortunately the buyer will most likely win a SNAD claim. I am so sorry, let us all know what happens!