Different treatment because of your Hermes?

Kellybag said:
Probably wouldn't matter...I swear I don't think anyone believes me when I tell them there are two Hermes near me and I have worked them on and off over the years and I swear they are by invitation only!

If I travel to another state and meet a nice SA at a Hermes...they can't break there backs enough to help. Usually, there are no bags of course. Then they can't believe how I am treated at my home stores.

I feel a bit better when I hear this from others who enter my local Hermes.

Wow, Kellybag, sorry to hear that. Two boutiques next you with bad service! That might turn me off to the entire Hermes experience.

KB, I have a similar issue at my local store....I don't get bad treatment, but I'm yet to waltz in there and declare I'd like a bag (although my fave SA mentioned it to the manager, but some time ago - I haven't heard back!).....and I'm almost too scared to!!

When I was in Paris, I was offered a Herbag (after much discussion) but no leather bags (DH said he would have bought me a Kelly, too:Push: )....but I'm sure there were probably some there for other customers:hrmm: ............

In Nice I was treated like S*#T until I walked in with my bag and scarf (that I'd just bought in Paris - LOL!!)....it's ridiculous!:yucky:

i usually get very good treatment at boutiques, regardless of attire or handbag of choice. but in the rare event where i'm treated badly, hell needs to freeze over before i go back.

It's typical that SAs often look at the way you dress. One way to demand attention is to wear a very expensive watch or a Chanel tweed jacket. They mean super-money.

*Want VIP treatment? Park your sports car outside the store. Don't have a sports car? Rent a Bentley with a driver.* (Just kidding of course..)

Whenever I go high-scale shopping, I just put on a dress wrapped with LV shawl with ballerina flats (*it's so comfortable!!*) and wear my black-diamond Alain Silberstein. You don't even need to carry a birkin, they will look at you immediately.

I don't think this really happen in other upscale boutiques like LV, Chanel, etc. If you carry a birkin to these stores, they will treat you like a queen. Maybe for Hermes, is that SAs have seen countless of customers coming in with their birkins so it is a normal sight for them. :yes:

Attachments

• vic_shopcolette41.jpg
    vic_shopcolette41.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 757
  • vic_shopcolette4 2.jpg
    vic_shopcolette4 2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 588
HiHeels said:
i think everyone judges you by your appearance, SAs are just no exception. it reveals more about the person doing the judging then about the person being judged, ironically.
but it's funny that you posted about an experience in los angeles, because that is one city that is very accustomed to not judging a book by its cover. people are so casual, and powerful people are not always "pretty" or "styled" - the head of a studio, etc. the real power is behind the scenes in l.a., even if the celebs get more press. and most people understand that and treat the person in jeans and sneakers like a valued customer. that's my experience/opinion. of course a watch/bag/ring/outfit is an extra signifier that can confirm this, but at least in l.a. they won't hold it against you if you don't sport outward signs of wealth - though what car you drive is another matter. :lol:

It's true that in LA, no one really dresses up, especially for shopping, even on Rodeo Drive. I'm no exception. At times, I even go in my work clothes (scrubs, sneakers...remember-I work with little kids:biggrin: ). I've been snubbed even when I WAS carrying a Hermes bag, probably because the SAs were just lazy. Like lilach says, those stores don't see me anymore. Even in the stores where I do shop, I patronize only 1 or 2 SAs, who always give me exceptional service:heart: even when I don't buy anything. When those SAs aren't in and I visit, I leave messages and return when they are in to make sure they get the commission.

Kellybag said:
Probably wouldn't matter...I swear I don't think anyone believes me when I tell them there are two Hermes near me and I have worked them on and off over the years and I swear they are by invitation only!

If I travel to another state and meet a nice SA at a Hermes...they can't break there backs enough to help. Usually, there are no bags of course. Then they can't believe how I am treated at my home stores.

I feel a bit better when I hear this from others who enter my local Hermes.

I'm not too thrilled with my local Hermes, either. I found only 3 decent handbag SAs (that may sound like a lot, but they have SO MANY at that store) and 1 decent RTW/shoes SA. When I say decent, I mean comfortable enough to ask help from. If Hermes was like other stores (where each SA worked on individual commission), I'd go only to those SAs that were exceptional. That way, I know that the SA really did earn his/her share, and it's easier when there's someone who knows my taste and buying history. However, I found an exceptional SA at a Hermes store 60 miles away from my home, from whom I bought my Bearn. Too bad that store is a lot smaller and doesn't get so many Kellys or Birkins, though:hrmm:

hermesgroupie said:
pr1nc355, do you ever find you get better treatment when wearing scrubs?

Sometimes...maybe because they think I'm a doctor?:roflmfao: Wearing scrubs got me really good treatment at Prada a year ago. The SA did ask me if I was a doctor, and I told her no, that I work with little kids who have special needs. She was impressed and told her manager, who commended me on my job. Needless to say, I do patronize that SA whenever I shop at Prada and always stop in whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

Kellybag said:

Yeah...the SA I bought all my Hermes bags and both pairs of shoes from works in a store outside my home state.

pr1nc355 said:
Sometimes...maybe because they think I'm a doctor?:roflmfao: Wearing scrubs got me really good treatment at Prada a year ago. The SA did ask me if I was a doctor, and I told her no, that I work with little kids who have special needs. She was impressed and told her manager, who commended me on my job. Needless to say, I do patronize that SA whenever I shop at Prada and always stop in whenever I'm in the neighborhood.
It's been my experience, too. I'll sometimes get better treatment wearing scrubs and sneakers than carrying my Hermes bag. But yes, it's because they figure you're a doctor.

lilach said:
yes but these shops never ever see me again. i demand good and informed service whether with birkin and jewelry or in jeans tee and sport bag coming from the gym. if they can not deliver that i am not delivering what they want-my money
simple as that

I agree! It always annoys me to no end when SAs are rude to me (happens most often at Neiman Marcus) just because I wasn't dressed head to toe in namebrand clothings and carrying a namebrand bag.

I do feel that I get treated differently based on what bag I'm carrying. In the past, if I walk into Chanel carrying no bags (sometimes I do that), the SAs don't give me time of the day. Then whenever I carry a namebrand bag, they're fawning all over me. Of course, I NEVER bought anything from that store, I just go in there to browse.:lol:

tokyogirl said:
Absolutely! Whenever I go shopping to an upscale shop (i.e., places where I can't normally afford), I receive the most fabulous treatment. Birkin + husband - SAs are fawning over you.

I'm pretty much screwed then. I have NO Birkins and NO husband. If I marry my current SO, he'd rather jump off the bridge before showing up with me at Hermes.:lol: :shocked: When I was in Singapore, I was hunting for a Bearn wallet for a friend of mine. My SO offered to run errands with me until I told him that I'm going to Hermes and he has to pretend to be my husband. After that, he said, "Oh. Well I actually have to go to work today." Go figure.:hrmm:

Reactions: orangefeast
koukanamiya said:
I agree! It always annoys me to no end when SAs are rude to me (happens most often at Neiman Marcus) just because I wasn't dressed head to toe in namebrand clothings and carrying a namebrand bag.

I do feel that I get treated differently based on what bag I'm carrying. In the past, if I walk into Chanel carrying no bags (sometimes I do that), the SAs don't give me time of the day. Then whenever I carry a namebrand bag, they're fawning all over me. Of course, I NEVER bought anything from that store, I just go in there to browse.:lol:

What's funny is that I often get much better treatment at Prada and Dolce & Gabbana than at NORDSTROM. The Savvy dept. (the dept. that carries True Religion jeans, Marc by Marc Jacobs) at my local Nordstrom gives me HORRID service every time, except for this one new SA. I guess it's because most of the SAs and customers are these stick-thin, wannabe-actress looking girls (tall, blonde, tan), and I look nothing like that (I'm Asian and petite).