Different Levels of Acceptance

Apr 22, 2018
Where I am now, we are in phase 3 of this pandemic, which means we can travel within the province. Some restaurants do dine-in, some don't. It is up to the individual businesses. People go to malls, but still have to line up with social distancing to get in. Some stores do temperature checks. We don't have too many active cases here, compare to a lot of other places. People take public transits (yes, fewer people than before).

We haven't gone dine out since March. It is phase 3, so I suggested to my husband that we go out for a quick lunch. He said - let's wait for another month and see. Well, one month, one more month, another month... too many months have gone by.

How do you handle when you and your loved ones have different level of acceptance? Yes, we wear masks when we go out. I just want to have sort of a "normal" life.

Everyone's level of risk taking is different. Have you asked him why he doesn't want to go? It could be that he's worried about COVID as you believe. Or, maybe it's as simple as he prefers eating at home and saving the money.

Everyone's level of risk taking is different. Have you asked him why he doesn't want to go? It could be that he's worried about COVID as you believe. Or, maybe it's as simple as he prefers eating at home and saving the money.

Lol. Saving money is definitely what he likes, but he told me that he is worried about COVID. Everyone takes off their masks when eating and it is an indoor space, so he is worried. But, we went to the park yesterday. He said outdoor is less risky. Oh well. Have you been cooking everyday at home?

I have been doing so much cooking at home that I am running out of ideas, and I am tired of doing dishes.

Lol. Saving money is definitely what he likes, but he told me that he is worried about COVID. Everyone takes off their masks when eating and it is an indoor space, so he is worried. But, we went to the park yesterday. He said outdoor is less risky. Oh well. Have you been cooking everyday at home?

I have been doing so much cooking at home that I am running out of ideas, and I am tired of doing dishes.

We've only eaten inside a restaurant three times since March and we waited a couple of weeks after restrictions were lifted to try it. All three meals went fine. The employees wear masks and where we live dining rooms can only be filled to 50% of capacity. Every other table had a sign on it saying customers could not be seated there. In one of the restaurants half of the tables had been completely removed from the dining room. Even so we were careful and only chose restaurants where there were a few other patrons, and we went a little later than the normal dinner hour. Maybe you could offer that as a compromise and go at a time when there won't be many other customers?

Reactions: 880
The few times I have gone out to eat recently were during very off times. So while every other table had a sign that it was out of use, or simply had the chairs removed, there was hardly anyone else in there at all. Week days from 3pm - 4pm seems to be a sweet spot. Maybe something you could mention to him...? I think the first time is the hardest.

Reactions: 880
Where I am now, we are in phase 3 of this pandemic, which means we can travel within the province. Some restaurants do dine-in, some don't. It is up to the individual businesses. People go to malls, but still have to line up with social distancing to get in. Some stores do temperature checks. We don't have too many active cases here, compare to a lot of other places. People take public transits (yes, fewer people than before).

We haven't gone dine out since March. It is phase 3, so I suggested to my husband that we go out for a quick lunch. He said - let's wait for another month and see. Well, one month, one more month, another month... too many months have gone by.

How do you handle when you and your loved ones have different level of acceptance? Yes, we wear masks when we go out. I just want to have sort of a "normal" life.

Life as we once new it will not be normal I don't think for a period of time.
I don't disagree with your hubby's concerns.. they are valid & this virus has no boundaries
I think perhaps you could find a happy medium... perhaps going to a park for lunch where the scenery
is different & you are both out in fresh air
Many of us have concerns about hygiene in restaurants etc & in spite of having a temp check & social
distancing,I'm not rushing out to a restaurant at this time with the latest outbreak of cases

Reactions: Claire023 and RT1
We've only eaten inside a restaurant three times since March and we waited a couple of weeks after restrictions were lifted to try it. All three meals went fine. The employees wear masks and where we live dining rooms can only be filled to 50% of capacity. Every other table had a sign on it saying customers could not be seated there. In one of the restaurants half of the tables had been completely removed from the dining room. Even so we were careful and only chose restaurants where there were a few other patrons, and we went a little later than the normal dinner hour. Maybe you could offer that as a compromise and go at a time when there won't be many other customers?

Where you are right now, are all the restrictions lifted? We are only encouraged to travel freely within our own province. Travelling between provinces varies because some provinces still don't allow outside residents.

I don't think we have a capacity limit in restaurants (but still, not too many people dine in anyway). The thing is - the government encourages people to wear face coverings, but not mandated. So when my husband went to pick up takeouts, he saw a guy sitting there, eating and coughing at the same time. It kind of freaked him out. Some employees wore masks, but not all.

The timing is definitely a good suggestion! I'll try to convince him to go during off peak hours. Like maybe afternoon but before the peak dinner time?

Reactions: RT1
Life as we once new it will not be normal I don't think for a period of time.
I don't disagree with your hubby's concerns.. they are valid & this virus has no boundaries
I think perhaps you could find a happy medium... perhaps going to a park for lunch where the scenery
is different & you are both out in fresh air
Many of us have concerns about hygiene in restaurants etc & in spite of having a temp check & social
distancing,I'm not rushing out to a restaurant at this time with the latest outbreak of cases

You gave me fantastic ideas! Thank you! Maybe we should do a picnic! That sounds great :giggle:.

Yes, that's exactly what his concerns are. He is afraid the utensils and stuff they have at the restaurants are not cleaned properly. This reminded me - we recently ordered online delivery, when I was almost done with my lunch, I noticed there was a string of hair!! Definitely not my hair because it was too short to be mine :yucky:!

The few times I have gone out to eat recently were during very off times. So while every other table had a sign that it was out of use, or simply had the chairs removed, there was hardly anyone else in there at all. Week days from 3pm - 4pm seems to be a sweet spot. Maybe something you could mention to him...? I think the first time is the hardest.

Definitely agree that the first time is the hardest. It is kind of like - ok, let's take this risk and see what happens sort of thing. And we have a toddler, so my hubby is even more concerned (and rightly so).

Sounds like where you are have stricter protocols, which is great. Here, I don't see any signs in restaurants about tables not being used - it is either, they do dine-in or they don't (takeouts only).

You gave me fantastic ideas! Thank you! Maybe we should do a picnic! That sounds great :giggle:.

Yes, that's exactly what his concerns are. He is afraid the utensils and stuff they have at the restaurants are not cleaned properly. This reminded me - we recently ordered online delivery, when I was almost done with my lunch, I noticed there was a string of hair!! Definitely not my hair because it was too short to be mine :yucky:!

It's a change & one that hopefully you both will enjoy...& yes, bring your own utensils...

It's a change & one that hopefully you both will enjoy...& yes, bring your own utensils...

I can't say that I enjoy the change, but try to embrace it. Do you enjoy the change? Lol.

Yes, it kind of pushes us to be more environmentally friendly - bring our own utensils.

Travelling is a huge part of our life. Ever since we started dating, we have been travelling internationally once or sometimes twice a year. This year, we have to "break our tradition", so to say. Even when I was pregnant, we flew to Europe for our babymoon. Our little one travelled internationally when she turned 1.

How did COVID impact your life/lifestyle?

Some of the restaurants here have patio/outdoor dining available. Maybe he'd be more comfortable eating 'out' if it's really eating outdoors - as he's right that outdoors is safer. Or maybe get the meal to-go and eat sitting outside at a nearby park?

I’m like your DH and my DH is like you. DH likes to be out and about he loves his restaurants. We live in Southern California some people lax about wearing masks and social distancing, to me it’s a bit terrifying, in order to keep peace we go out once a week, at first we dined Inside a few times till the state shut indoor dining because of rising infections, honestly I’m thrilled they stopped it. The state does allow outside dining, we have been to two restaurant patios, I felt fairly safe and had fun at both. This situation is temporary, it will come to a close and hopefully we will have some normal again. if your DH is adamant about not going out, maybe a friend or relative could meet you and you can bring DH some take out. I’m normally the adventurous one in the relationship but coronavirus is an adventure I want no part of.

I can't say that I enjoy the change, but try to embrace it. Do you enjoy the change? Lol.

Yes, it kind of pushes us to be more environmentally friendly - bring our own utensils.

Travelling is a huge part of our life. Ever since we started dating, we have been travelling internationally once or sometimes twice a year. This year, we have to "break our tradition", so to say. Even when I was pregnant, we flew to Europe for our babymoon. Our little one travelled internationally when she turned 1.

How did COVID impact your life/lifestyle?

We all have to try to make things/situations work in our lives that are new & different for us
We are spontaneous people at the drop of a hat wouldn't think twice about getting into the car & explore,
that can't be done now with the same level of confidence.
We go to the park often, we sit by the water & have a drink, lunch, sushi & just catch up on some
good conversation.
We love Paris & very often I will whip out one of my french cookbooks & make a french meal with
some decorations & let our imaginations run a bit wild topped off with humor
Have a dress up date for dinner.. light some candles...
We all have to find our new "norm".. walk through the city park, walk in a new neighborhood, a picnic
all can be turned into fun with a loved one(s)

The boyfriend and I are both concerned about COVID, but we're going a little stir-crazy. We order a lot of takeout and sometimes eat outside. We've been camping, fishing, and walking a lot. There is a local vinyard and coffee spot where we take our laptops and work outside. Sometimes you just need a a change of venue, but eating indoors would make me nervous.