different leathers for same style RM bags?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I don't want to offend you RM lovers but I have a question. I've seen these bags online and I thought the morning after and the MAM looked very nice. The only ones I've been able to see IRL were an elephant color leather (which I purchased on sale at Nordies and returned) and recently Nordies in my city got a few pastel color ones (I think blue, pink and yellow).
No offense to those who love these but I've been disappointed. The elephant leather was thick and not soft. And the pastel ones didn't seem that smooshy to me (I also wasn't interested in those colors).

I've seen pics of the black with basketweave, a dark blue and plain black and they look beautiful. Do you think I would like these IRL?

Thank you.

Hi!! Welcome!! RM uses all different kinds of leathers on her bags and so the best way to find out if you're going to like one or not is to see it in person. I too have been disappointed with some of the colors/leathers in the past. I know it's not always an option to see a bag since there is limited availabilty in the stores but the best way is to shop online somewhere that accepts returns.

I have the black basketweave and it is gorgeous in person. The leather is thick and soft and just perfect so I'd say, yes, you would like that one. I'm not sure how you feel about reds but the new cranberry color is an amazingly soft leather that is gorgeous in person. I also like the noir leather because that is very supple too.

I've kinda figured out for myself that it's a trial and error learning process with all the RM's.

Thanks Jenny. I thought when I saw the pastel ones that maybe her bags were just not what I expected. But from what you say, seems like some of the colors wouldn't disappoint.

Great question! There are definitely some leathers that puddle right away and some that have to be broken it (but they are so worth it!).

The colors you referred to (blue, yellow and pink) are part of her Cruise collection (Peacock, Sunshine and Rose). Those are made from lambskin leather and wil break down to next to nothing. It's by far my most favorite leather!!

Several Minkettes have purchased the new black leather bags that are out and are raving how amazingly soft this leather is.

The best thing about this subforum is that everyone here loves to help and offers great advice. If you see something you like, post it on here and you'll get loads of opinions (both pros and cons) on the leathers or styles!!

Thanks baghag! Since you're offering, I do have a couple more questions. I'm a great lover of outside pockets and having a bag that will comfortably (or reasonably comfortably fit over my shoulder) is important. Does the MA bag function well in both of these areas? Is that outside pocket easy to get your hand into (to grab cell phone, etc)?

I know MAB lovers will give you great advice, however, I only have the MAM. I know that the MAB is a bigger bag and women love it for shoulder use. The MAM will either work on your shoulder (if you're tiny) or not. The outside zip pocket does have a little overhang so if you keep the zipper open your contents will stay inside. The bag has two slip pockets inside the bag and a large zip wall pocket. I put my cell inside the slip pocket. I find I don't have to zip this bag because it stays closed well.

Some of the newest MAMs come with a shoulder strap for extra convenience. I know my next MAM will definitely have one of those!!

HTH!

Thanks baghag! Since you're offering, I do have a couple more questions. I'm a great lover of outside pockets and having a bag that will comfortably (or reasonably comfortably fit over my shoulder) is important. Does the MA bag function well in both of these areas? Is that outside pocket easy to get your hand into (to grab cell phone, etc)?

You know, just like with most other brands, there is a bit of a trial and error process that we all go through. Not everyone is going to love every color or every leather but luckily RM uses plenty of variety to keep almost everyone happy.

There are some really great leathers and colors out there, I hope you are able to see some in person and choose from there!