Difference in caviar leather a year later....

LVtoChanel

O.G.
Jul 16, 2010
Hi TPFers,

Has anyone notice the great difference in caviar leather for the black classic flaps??

My friend just got a black caviar ML flap from Europe and when we did a comparison, the difference was so great!! Her bag looks so shiny and jet black but then it seems so plasticky!! Yikes!!! It looks so fake and the caviar is not as pebbled as mine though the gold hardware looks better.

I have read that the old caviar are much better than the new caviar flaps but had always wonder what's the difference since I just starting my collection last year. Now I am thinking if this is a decline in quality and cost-cutting measures as price increases. Can anyone with a #15 series black flap share some info please?? Thanks!

Check out post # 469 here: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-c...r-black-grey-chanel-items-here-199810-32.html

The caviar is just smoother & shinier than before. They're trying to make it look like lambskin because so many people like the look of lambskin but the durability of caviar... so caviar & lambskin are the same price now.

I don't think it's a quality issue. Caviar is caviar afterall. It's just a matter of preference.

Check out post # 469 here: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-c...r-black-grey-chanel-items-here-199810-32.html

The caviar is just smoother & shinier than before. They're trying to make it look like lambskin because so many people like the look of lambskin but the durability of caviar... so caviar & lambskin are the same price now.

I don't think it's a quality issue. Caviar is caviar afterall. It's just a matter of preference.

Thank you Queenofchic for the info. Glad to know that it's not a quality issue. Yup, agree that it's a matter of personal preference. I will let my friend know that it's fine. Since it is her first Chanel, I am sure she will enjoy and love it a lot. Thanks!

This is a cheaper leather. It's thinner and not as bumpy, softer, and not the quality of my older caviar, which is much better. They went down in quality to save money, not to make the caviar look like lamb. Everyone wants the old caviar back.

I agree - leather is different from my older bag of caviar flap 2009. This is one reason why I returned my last flap purchase (about 5months ago). Now, I'm thinking of switching to lambskin.

Agree! I don't like the caviar now, especially for coloured caviar !! Easy to get scratches! And black is still resistant as before, but colored, make me disappointed! But I still want as want to collect all colors! P