Difference between trusting authenticators vs resellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ob_solete

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
Hi everyone

I would like to hear productive discourse about why people choose to trust authenticators and how this differs from trusting resellers. From an evidence and logic point of view, I really don't see the difference between this. One could argue that authenticators have been on this forum for a long time, have lots of experience, etc but that's the same as saying the reseller has been around along time, has sold lots of bags, etc.

Additionally, self-proclamation does not require any formal qualification. Anyone can proclaim they have had decades of experience and therefore, this allows them to determine authentication. Even so companies evolve in their fight against counterfeit so how can any authenticator be up to date regarding the latest changes to a company's product and counterfeit fighting measures.

Even if we accept that a self-proclaimed authenticator has extensive experience and can actually pick real from fake how can we ever assure ourselves they use this expertise for good and not for nefarious purposes. How can we be assured there is no vested interest.

I really feel that only the company themselves can be the true authority in determining the authenticity of the product so with that in mind, why do people satisfy themselves that their product is real by authenticating it here rather than getting 100% peace of mind by taking it to the store?

Reactions: Lodpah
Resellers have a bias towards saying something is authentic, since they can sell it if that's the case. Authenticators don't have that financial incentive and so are more trustworthy.

Additionally, most stores won't spend time authenticating an item. It takes time, it's a skill they'd have to train their staff into, if they got it wrong it would damage their brand, and of course they would much rather you buy a new one from them!

If there were no 'history' with OP concerning a related issue, this question would be seen to be valid and important.

...why do people satisfy themselves that their product is real by authenticating it here rather than getting 100% peace of mind by taking it to the store?

ANSWER:
Because companies like Hermes and Louis Vuitton do not offer an authentication service! QED
(There are resistant to and resentful of back door attempts at authentication via spa/repair requests)

Just like any other independent service that you have to use, you make your choice on recommendation, reputation and/or membership of a trade/professional organisation.
There is no such organisation to regulate authenticators.
There is a highly regarded authenticator that many members of this forum chose to use.
If anyone is not confident that the confidence frequently expressed in her here is genuine, then they have to look elsewhere. Many members are appreciative that she and some others well-versed in Hermes products freely give an opinion on this site of items for sale of interest to member. A lot of members would follow up that initial authentication post purchase with a private purchased authentication.

As I wrote at the top - you do pose a good question. It really would be foolhardy for anyone not to.
But, in the absence of anything better, you have to go down that route and make your own judgment on whose opinion you believe you can trust. Unless you can purchase directly from the original supplier, you will alway have to rely on authentication and gut instinct. Forget about the specifics of a hand bag and think of how you might purchase an antique - even though there are trade organisations there, forgeries do get sold.

I’m sorry but after the ruckus you caused in the “other” thread where people stood behind you only to be duped, me included....I wish you the best and hope you receive your refund, karma doesn’t come home to bite you, as you have become ob_solete to me.
Good one! I don't know what else to believe and just felt so stupid. Better off seeing nice bag photos and not commenting to any thread.

I think really the point is, with the advance in technology and therefore perceived craftsmanship, how can anyone know from a photograph. It is well known that the copies are getting better and better and better, there are artisans looking to make a living in all parts of the world, but it is only when Hermes themselves are able to examine on a microscopic level that they will know the true answer to a piece.

Reactions: Lodpah and Rouge H
I do my own research, research, feel, go to the store, and don't buy used. That is how I solve my authenticity problem. Also, fakes represent human trafficking complicity if you sell them. I don't trust anyone to authenticate for me, especially online with just pictures.

I've seen some super fakes in Europe and even was told by some locals that some of the fakes are actually real but then again, who knows? It's better to just buy from the shop.

Well! I expected some form of push back, I’m glad I didn’t disappoint myself.

To the issue at hand: PJ pointed out correctly that there is no “formal” process to becoming an authentication expert. I’ve been a LV authenticator for the past 6 years, and it was entirely self taught. (For a forum, not this one, and not as a paid authority)
That being said, a large degree of brand ownership, meticulously detailed
research and attention to minute detail gives me that ability to determine authentic from replica. It’s the same with Hermès.
The authentication team here are THAT good. This isn’t a joe blow site, there are genuine experts who look at items submitted by members and give their opinion. Most of those who volunteer their time here are recognized as being experts in this area, and their services are used by big businesses in order to determine valid items vs counterfeit.

In your case, I get the sense this is sour grapes as a result of your prior thread being terminated. I get the sense this is a thinly veiled swipe at the mod who shut the circus down.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when
we practice to deceive.

[QUOTE="Rouge H, post: ].I wish you the best and hope you receive your refund, karma doesn’t come home to bite you, as you have become ob_solete to me.[/QUOTE]
I hope karma IS a beotch.

I have one final comment. We're all human and all make mistakes. Those of us who are honest do the right thing. We admit our errors, apologize if we've wronged someone and do whatever is necessary to restore the reputation of the person we hurt and more importantly, show that WE have integrity.

As a buyer, you @ob_solete should be ecstatic to learn that you got an authentic Hermes bag for your wife. If Hermes erred as you claim (but as I don't believe for a second), you need to straighten it out with them.

But to continue to perpetrate your scam speaks volumes.

While I'm not particularly religious, I believe you're going to have to deal with your maker.

Shame on you.

Reactions: DYH and Rouge H
My guess is that this thread and his original were tests to see how or if the scam could be pulled off. And it sounds like the op got away with it through reebonz but didn’t fool those who’ve seen it in the past.

IMO.

Reactions: eckw
Status
Not open for further replies.