Difference Between Fjord and Clemence/Togo? (Yes I've read the Guide)

djmm

Jun 17, 2010
I was wondering if someone who owns or have seen a Birkin in Fjord can help me with this. a fellow forumer told me to have a look at Fjord leather for Birkin but it's hard to find Fjord at the boutique so I can't quite compare it.

I've read the TPF leather guide but to be honest, it's hard to tell the difference and there's not much further info about Fjord.
Would someone be kind enough to explain the difference between Fjord to something more 'regular like Togo/Clemence please?

I've been told that the grain might be larger than Togo/Clemence (but this also depends on individual bag) and it might have more natural lines compared to Togo. But is there any other difference that I should know? From the picture, they all look the same to me, lol... :thinking:

There must be some major difference right, or else why most people opt for either Togo or Clemence? I know I honestly struggle to tell the difference between Togo and Clemence even if both are in front of me, but can we actually tell the difference between those and Fjord at a glance? From what limited pics I've seen so far, Fjord looks like it has more pronounced grain, and a bit more shiny (might be just camera flash though)

Last edited:
Yes you can tell the difference because Fjord has more lines, the kind of lines that water or liquid makes when it drips... (if that makes sense). I do not have one, but I think that Fjord is also heavier (you may want to check the thread on weights of different leathers). My SA told me it is good also for birkins etc, but I sensed that it is not a very common leather - I didnt ask why though.

Fjord is as durable as Togo and clemence. It has veins but the recent Togo and clemence are considerably veinier than before. Even box has become somewhat veiny.

In terms of grain, I think they're not much different in that you can find smaller grain fjord and larger grain Togo/clemence. So it's the luck of the draw on this one. Weight wise, fjord isn't much heavier than Togo or clemence. The difference is marginal, not like between say, chevre and clemence.

The main difference, from experience, is that fjord retains it's shape. It's remains stiff over time whereas clemence gets floppy, and Togo gradually too. Fjord absorbs color a little differently and has a velvety finish.

Reactions: VigeeLeBrun
I see. When you say velvety finish, did you mean more shiny? or more matte?

I know when it comes to vein, that's also depends on the luck of draw too - some is more veiny than the other. At this stage I am not sure whether I prefer veiny look or more smooth look. But I guess if it's for 30cm one, the stripy veins won't be as obvious as larger sizes...

I know when it comes to vein, that's also depends on the luck of draw too - some is more veiny than the other. At this stage I am not sure whether I prefer veiny look or more smooth look. But I guess if it's for 30cm one, the stripy veins won't be as obvious as larger sizes...

Fjord very grainy, and nothing like Togo. PM me your email address and I will email you an example from my collection. It's a bit like buffalo leather but firmer. Togo feels like the surface as loads of tiny hard bubbles, clemence feels soft and smooth. You only appreciate the beauty of fjord up close, not from photos though.

Fjord is a wonderful leather.

I also feel that fjord can seem a bit different from batch to batch.(increased veining on some batches, tiny grains on another, a bit lighter in weight on another etc.) It is definitely velvet-like when compared to other leathers. It feels very smooth and soft, but you don't sacrifice texture if you can somehow imagine that.

Some may comment that it is a masculine leather, but I don't necessarily think so. It definitely keeps a nice shape and yet it still has enough give to give you somewhat of a relaxed feel to the bag.

I feel that fjord can truly take a great deal of use/abuse and still come out looking fine.

When you touch fjord, it actually feels velvety. It's a feeling that I've never forgotten and set me planning for one fjord in my collection. As opposed to a normal clemence/togo, you will just feel the normal leather, and maybe a little bit of waxy feeling from the finish. I'm making a muck of this explanation, maybe someone can say it better. :P It just feels velvety and heavenly!

dear djmm: (This is my opinion on the differences between togo, clemence and fjord based on my own experience which may be different than the experiences of others here.)
Clemence: softer to the touch, sometimes can "slouch" right from the boutique (and definitely will slouch over time), can be a bit heavy, especially if it's a bigger bag and you hold a lot of things, wears well over time but can look older than it is due to the tendency to slouch (gives it a "well worn" look).
Togo: stiffer to the touch, holds it shape longer than clemence (many say that over time togo slouches as well, but I haven't experienced this yet with my 4 year old togo birkin), very slightly lighter than clemence, togo and clemence are easiest leathers to find
Fjord: stiffer than togo, holds it shape extremely well, I actually think fjord is lighter than togo and clemence, takes a beating but keeps on ticking (not a delicate leather at all and will take a lot of day-to-day wear and still look "brand new"), harder to find in stores, sometimes the veining can be quite pronounced but I also have one fjord bag where there is absolutely no veining at all but I'm not sure why this is.
By the way, because of your post, I took a magnifying glass to my togo, clemence and fjord bags to see if I could tell the difference in grain, but I didn't see any material difference between my bags.

I hope this helps.

Fjord is a wonderful leather. My black Birkin is Fjord and I would not have chosen anything different for my everyday bag. It is durable and has held up extremely well! It's definitely a stiffer leather that holds it's shape. It's a great leather for a Birkin you plan on using often. My Jypsiere is also Fjord and I absolutely love it.

I also have 2 bags in Clemence: Lindy and Picotin. It's a floppier leather that is perfect for these 2 styles, in my opinion.

The leather you choose completely depends on personal preference and how you plan on using the bags.

Both leathers are durable but I find my Clemence to get more easily knicked with day-to-day wear but I also commute from Long Island to NYC so the bags are put through a lot more. My Fjord Birkin, after 3 years, still looks brand new.

Here are some photos I took:
1. ebene clemence
2. bleu de prusse togo
3. noir fjord
4. close up of the fjord from an angle to show the "veining"
5. comparison of all three

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 2,510
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,899
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,465
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,448
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,504
I took some photos also for comparison

Black Fjord
Raisin Clemence
Vert Veronese Fjord
Bougeinvillea Clemence
3 colors of Togo

Attachments

• Bougeinvillea Clemence.JPG
    Bougeinvillea Clemence.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,356
  • Vert Veronese Fjord.JPG
    Vert Veronese Fjord.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,386
  • Togo.JPG
    Togo.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,553
  • Raisin Clemence.JPG
    Raisin Clemence.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,359
  • Black Fjord.JPG
    Black Fjord.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,597
Reactions: NOIRetMoi
Some side by sides

Bougeinvillea Clemence with Blue Jean Togo
Black Togo vs. Black Fjord
Raisin Clemence vs. Bougeinvillea Clemence
Black Fjord vs Bougeinvillea Clemence vs Blue Jean Togo
Vert Veronese Fjord vs Vert Anis Togo

Attachments

• BJ Togo B Clemence.JPG
    BJ Togo B Clemence.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,600
  • Black Togo Fjord.JPG
    Black Togo Fjord.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,489
  • Fjord Clemence.JPG
    Fjord Clemence.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Fjord Clemence Togo.JPG
    Fjord Clemence Togo.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,478
  • Togo and Vert Veronese Fjord.JPG
    Togo and Vert Veronese Fjord.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,377
Reactions: NOIRetMoi
In my opinion, another difference is how Fjord takes color. I've got a Fjord gold Birkin and the color looks completely different from Clemence or Togo gold.
As other ladies told, Fjord is stiffer, holds shape, it's practically waterproof and it's the perfect workhorse! Overall, I reckon that Fjord bags have a sportier look.

ariluvya21, how nice of you to post all those comparison photos!

I think it's such a personal choice (I know that much seem like a much-repeated phrase here). I don't own fjord, but as between clemence and togo (and I do own birkins and other bags in both), I am a clemence girl. I like how it takes color, I like the flattened grain and I like the touch of it. A couple of years ago, H was producing clemence birkins that totally puddled (that's how slouchy they were) but I never saw that before and haven't seen it recently. I would not be happy if my clemence bags were that slouchy.

IMO, black is richest on fjord vs. clemence and togo. Also - and this may just be me....I like veining on fjord whereas I don't like it on togo. I think veins looks like stretch marks on togo, but are more "character" marks on fjord....don't know if that makes sense or not.

My batch of fjord is lighter weight than my clemence but I've heard it can also be heavier....I think with all 3 leathers it's the luck of the draw.