Did your SO accompany you to your first doctor's visit?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My first doctor's appt is in 3 weeks, and by then I'll be 9 weeks (counting from the first day of my last period), but I think I'll actually be 6 weeks (counting from my ovulation date).

Will the doctor do an ultrasound? If so, I want DH to be there with me! But I've also read that the first appt is always long and they run a bunch of tests (no ultrasound mentioned), and if that's the case, then I wouldn't mind going by myself.

I've read that you can hear the heartbeat at 8 weeks. I'm a little worried that the doctor will count me as 9 weeks and expect to hear a heartbeat, but if I'm really 6 weeks, maybe that's too early to expect anything.

Was anyone successful at getting your doctor to use the ovulation date instead of the first date of your last period to calculate your due date?

So many questions... I'm both excited and scared! And lately I've been gassy and have had stomach issues... and I'm worried about baby!

2. How exciting for you!!

I'd call and ask what's to be expected during the first visit.

From what I recall, they politely asked me to bring in the baby's father because it was standard procedure to do an ultrasound on the first visit. Just to warn you, it's a a vaginal ultrasound, but at least we walked away with nice blurry pictures of our babies.

I think I also peed in a cup.

HTH!

3. Pregnancy is counted by the first day of your last period, so it's like getting bonus weeks for free! In which case you actually are 9 weeks. If your Dr does an ultrasound (which mine did) you'll at least be able to see the fetal pole, which is the tiny blip of a baby in the developing sac. You may or may not be able to hear a heartbeat because of the position of the baby, but regardless the very first visit is always the most exciting, so go ahead and have DH come along if he's able.

4. You should always count from the first day of your last menstral period. That's how all doctors will do it. I would definetly bring DH. Even if they don't do an ultrasound he can ask questions and hear advice.

My DH has gone to virtually every appointment except for the quickies where they do a heartbeat check and let me go. It's a nice way for him to feel involved and understand what you are going through.

5. my DH did not go to my first appointment. All that happened then was a bunch of bloodwork, questions, and a pelvic exam.

He was unable to go to my first ultrasound...but is going to my next appointment with me (to hear a heartbeat) and our "big" ultrasound next month.

It's hard enough to schedule my appointments around my work schedule let alone his as well! heheh. we do the best we can...neither one feels slighted that he's missed appointments

6. Congrats! My doc counted from the first day of my last period, and I'm 13 weeks now. My first visit was 2 weeks ago. I didn't get an ultrasound, but I did get to hear the heartbeat. My dh came with me to every visit, and stayed the whole time in the hospital when I gave birth to my 4yr old dd. This go round, however, I can't coordinate him coming because we have totally different schedules so that dd has a parent available pretty much at all times.

7. My first visit was around 6-7 weeks, if I remember right. DH didn't come with me, and I didn't have the ultrasound at that one. Just a pap and a couple other tests. I think the first ultrasound was when I went for a dating US to see if I could do CVS before we went on vacation. He did come to that, and the moment that he heard the heartbeat was really special for him. However, I don't think it necessarily has to be the very first time that anyone hears it for it to be just as special.

I had a TON of other doctor's appointments and tests, and I'd pick and choose what I wanted ny DH to come to, based partly on how interesting the appointment would be. I didn't have my DH come to any of my OB appts, except at the end when I suspected the doctor was going to tell me I needed to be induced early; I made him come to that visit (and I was right -- the doctor was like, "When are you 37 weeks? Thursday? How about having the baby this weekend then?").

I had him come to all of the ultrasounds (monthly) and the major diagnostic tests, like my CVS/amnio appts. He came to one of my weekly non-stress tests. He also came to one visit to the pediatric cardiologist (there was a risk of a serious heart defect, so I was getting cardiac ultrasounds every week for a while) because I thought he'd like to see the EKG and detailed ultrasound. Especially later, the ob visits were kind of mundane: pee in cup, get weighed, fundal height measurement, NST looked good, feel OK, see you next week, so there was no point in having him take off work.

8. i did not get an ultrasound my first time, im not even sure if they checked the heart beat either...? i have such bad memory lol...

9. my dr didnt do my ultrasounds, i went to the womens hospital for that.
    my bf came to almost all my appts, probably missed 2 in total of all during the pregnancy. i was adamant that he should come. :P

10. My husband came with me for the first appointment for both pregnancies. It was pretty long. Pelvic exam, pee in cup, weight, physical exam, history, and we also got an ultrasound and saw the baby's heartbeat. I was lucky and my hubby was able to come to all my appointments with me.

11. My SO came with a couple times. But, generally, they're not exciting, I mean, they take your blood pressure, weigh you, ask you to pee in a cup (sometimes) and the doctor feels your stomach, they usually do a pelvic exam, she asks you if you've had any bleeding, pains, or unusual discharge, and that's about it. Nothing too exciting.
    I didn't go to the doctor until I was like..23 weeks. I should have gone sooner, I know, so Idk what they do early on.

12. at my first doctor's visit they did an ultrasound to make sure I was as far along as I thought. DH did not come and was upset later when I told him I heard and saw the heartbeat.

13. My hubby came w/ me to every single doctor's apptmt and I was considered very high risk w/ my twins so I was there every 2 weeks for a lot of it!!

14. Ditto this, but dh missed a few appts as I was going all the time between the ob and peri.

15. With my first 2 pregnancies, my DH came with me on the 1st dr's visit and every other one. But with the 3rd pregnancy he didn't come to the 1st dr's visit b/c of work but he did go to the others.