Did you rent/borrow before you buy?

isabellam

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
I think most of us try bags on at the store, try our stuff in the bag and parade around the store. Some of us buy bags, try them out and parade around our own house, and then return the bag if it doesn't seem to work. Some buy bags, use them (gasp!), and then return them if they don't work out. Others buy bags, use them and then change their mind and end up reselling at a loss.

I know people who rent the car model they want to buy before they actually plunk down the $$. ONce, they were going to buy a certain car, but after renting it for a week, they discovered things about the car that they decided they couldn't live with. Heartache spared!

The thread about bags we don't love anymore got me thinking that maybe there are ladies out there who regularly rent or borrow bags that they are thinking of buying - in order to determine if the bag is really what she wants. I mean, really, it does make sense to try before you buy. I"ve never done it, and I don't hear about it very much here, but surely somebody does!

Have you ever rented or borrowed a bag you were considering purchasing?
Can anyone share try-before-you-buy experiences?

Never, nor would I. It seems wasteful of money (renting) and also too much work. But there have been times when I've bought a starter quality bag to check if I actually like a style, size, or look. For example, when I was getting into LV, I acquired a few used and fairly inexpensive Noes to test whether I truly liked carrying that style and especially to check the sizes. Without much dollar investment I was able to figure out that I preferred the small one (Petit Noe) and then sold my "experiments." I did the same with a Chanel flap bag, bought reasonably cheaply and then sold.

Last edited:
Never, nor would I. It seems wasteful of money (renting) and also too much work. But there have been times when I've bought a starter quality bag to check if I actually like a style, size, or look. For example, when I was getting into LV, I acquired a few used and fairly inexpensive Noes to test whether I truly liked carrying that style and especially to check the sizes. Without much dollar investment I was able to figure out that I preferred the small one (Petit Noe) and then sold my "experiments." I did the same with a Chanel flap bag, bought reasonably cheaply and then sold.

I agree about the large expense! I think I'd only rent a bag if the rental price was cheap enough in proportion to the actual cost of a new bag. For example, before shelling out $5,000 for an Hermes Kelly, I'd happily pay $200 to rent one for a week just to make sure that the bag works for me. However, paying $800 for a week to rent a Kelly wouldn't be worth it for me.

I did a similar thing like what you did with your Noe. I had been thinking about an MJ Stam and so I bought a cheapo fake just to make sure that model of bag works for me. (BTW< it's the only fake I own, and I only carried it a handful of times until I decided about the Stam and then I passed the bag on)

ITA it's he'll wasting money :yes:
car I understand, besides of lots more money compare with bags, it's also safety features issues, handbags? NO!!

I personally won't rent a bag before I buy it. I'll just try it on in store. Renting a bag seems too costly and it all adds up. Especially renting a high end bags, the price is probably pretty expensive.

No I've only rented blacktie dresses before. I think its better to go with your initial gut feeling with bags. If you rent it and mull over it think it would be a much harder decision.

No way under any circumstances would I do this. I'm not even picky at all when it comes to comfort, look on me, and so forth when it comes to my bags; if they are simply pretty and different enough, they hit the mark. Even if I were picky about these things, I'd simply go to a store that carried the bag or buy it online under a good return policy if it was not available locally.

i wouldn't rent. it's a waste of money. i buy it, take it home, walk around with it to make sure i don't hate it. i tend to get tired of bags after a few years so i sell my bags anyway.

i guess unless you are looking to buy a $20K Hermes bag you'd probably be pretty sure you'll like it.

I did rent bags for sometime. It wasn't because I wanted to try them out before buying them though . I couldn't keep up with buying new bags all the time so I did. For me it was worth it in some way because I easily got tired of a bag. I have a closet full of bags that I don't even use. To give a clearer picture, I limited my rent money for $150 every month. In a year, that would be around $1800. If I buy a thousand dollar bag each month, then that would cost me $12000 a year, or maybe more if the bags are more expensive. Even if I keep my 12 bags, and then try to sell them after I don't want them, I'd lose more than $1800 easily. Even worse, if I sell my pre-owned bags at half of their original price, then I'd easily lose $6000. In my case then, it was more cost-effective.

Now I'm turning over a new leaf, and just trying to enjoy what I have. Renting, or buying--- they're both not really saving me any money. :smile: