Did you have braces as a child, only to have your teeth move as an adult? Solutions?

I'm planning on getting braces for the first time, in my late 20s.

In college, I had naturally perfect/straight teeth. My father in law is actually a very highly regarded oral surgeon and one of the first things my fiance fell in love with was the fact that I had a naturally great smile (he probably notices people's teeth/mouths more than others for obvious reasons).

My wisdom teeth came in but I couldn't feel them and they never hurt. I didn't want to go to Chicago for any surgery, so I kind of put it off... now I have crooked teeth! In most pictures, my teeth still look straight so I'm not stressing too much about our wedding photos but I'm totally bummed out that I need braces as a working adult. Right now, I work in retail for a luxury brand... so I interact (and smile) with people all day.

I had braces as a kid but only wore my retainer for a year after that. My teeth started to shift, and then when my wisdom teeth came in later on, the bottom teeth shifted even more. I just got Invisalign 6 weeks ago, and will need to wear a retainer once it's done.

I had braces as a child. My teeth have shifted considerably but I account it to periodonture work! Looking back at photos prior to starting periodonture work, my teeth were straight with only two crooked teeth. Now they have all shifted. It's very disturbing and I'm looking into Invisilign as it's less invasive.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. I also have a really small head, to the point I can wear children's glasses/sunglesses, and small mouth. There is just not enough room for my teeth, to the point that we seriously contemplated just pulling one on the bottom to give them more room.

Had orthodontia (a big retainer to correct an overbite + braces) from 6th grade till 11th grade. Had them taken off. Bonded retainer snapped off within a month; they didn't give me a new one. Bottom teeth shifted to the point I had lower braces again in college. Around the time I was 30, they were really bad again. Did Invisalign, which worked just fine (so if you are counting, that's now ROUND 3 in the battle of the bottom teeth). Have been battling to keep them in place and wear a retainer most nights, even though it's years later. I got a reference to an orthodontist a few months ago and am going to check on getting a bonded retainer too, but have been too lazy to do it.

As far as the grinding/retainer thing, I don't think they keep you from grinding, it's just that some of the retainers (like mine from the Invisalign stuff) are almost like a nightguard, so they cushion your teeth a bit.

Last edited:
My son has a bonded retainer on his lowers. I wish I had that option when I was a kid. It's quite normal for lower teeth to shift.

I have one of these too. It's just a wire glued across the back of my teeth-you can't see anything. They put it in so that my teeth wouldn't move when my wisdom teeth came through. Really, I don't know why they don't do those for everyone. My DBF had braces and wore his retainer properly, but they still moved back after he stopped using the retainer.

It seems like the only solution is to wear braces again? Most likely it would only be for a short time, and then you could get bonded wires on the back like I have.