Did the unthinkable.........

IrishMommy2four

MMmmmmmmMJ
Sep 26, 2007
Ok, desperate times stand for desperate measures right? :hysteric:

After looking and searching, and ASKING and calling.........I realized there just isn't a "legit" way to get JUST THE CHAIN for my e/w stam. The mouse color is whats making it even more diff. Black stam chains are easier to come by (says the SA at Nordies)......and I WANT this for my trip in twelve days, I feel like the stam just doesn't look like a stam without one.

So I got online and...........bought a 25 dollar knock-off so I can use it's chain.

I whispered the last half of that sentence because I am so ashamed!!! :yucky:

I will give the bag to my two year old, and never speak of it again. I feel like a trader,a phony, a poser!!! lol. But what's a girl supposed to do???
I was literally BRIBING the SA's at Saks and Nordies to sneak me a chain, sell me a chain, steal me a chain, LOL. I'm desperate over here!!!!

So, there. I've aired out my dirty laundry :tdown:, the skeleton is out of the closet :wtf:.......I've spilled the beans:sad: , got it off my chest:Push:.

Just do me a favor, let's keep this between us OK.......fellow addicts? :hrmm:
The worst part is, now I feel like I'm walking around like a big faker with my fake chain on my expensive bag :crybaby:

I'm confused, I thought that you could get a replacement chain from MJ? Was it the color? Would they not give you one because the color was different? I thought that Roro was able to get a replacement of a different color, no? :thinking:

My fear for you is that once you see that cheap chain next to the beautiful MJ hardware you are not going to be happy.

On the other hand, I don't think you should worry too much about how the stam looks without the chain, it's still the most beautiful bag ever:love:

Desperation can call for drastic measures I suppose, I can't see what else you could have done really given your urgent timescale.

Now go and stand at the back of the class for half an hour :lol:

I wonder if it will make you feel differently about the bag when you carry it.

I'm confused, I thought that you could get a replacement chain from MJ? Was it the color? Would they not give you one because the color was different? I thought that Roro was able to get a replacement of a different color, no? :thinking:

My fear for you is that once you see that cheap chain next to the beautiful MJ hardware you are not going to be happy.

On the other hand, I don't think you should worry too much about how the stam looks without the chain, it's still the most beautiful bag ever:love:

It's been more than 18 mos since the bag was released so I'm SOL is what the SA told me. :tdown:

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the chain looks like. You are right, the bag is beautiful regardless....I just wanted the whole "stam experience" :P

^^ MJ only replaces chains for bags that was released in the last 18 months, I think.. and I believe mouse was a 2006 color, so its wayyyyy past the 18 months limit.

I'm sure you're bag looks beautiful nonetheless, mouse is an awesome color :tup:

You're a bold woman to share such a dirty secret! :blush:

You came up with a creative solution - I'd keep trying to find the right chain. I think fake chains would drive someone crazy. I didn't know you could buy fakes for $25! It's not bad for an immediate solution...

Entertaining post though - thanks for sharing :biggrin:

I'd keep trying to find the right chain. I think fake chains would drive someone crazy. I didn't know you could buy fakes for $25! It's not bad for an immediate solution...

I agree. I think every tpfler would get crazy knowing that they have a fake chain on their authentic bag. So just use that one for your trip now - don't worry to much and try to find a real one later. I hope, that you will be lucky and manage to get an authentic chain for your lovely bag!

I'm a little confused -- you have a Mouse Stam Hobo,right? Isn't the leather handle long enough on the stam hobo to carry the bag on your shoulder?

Also, did you find a Mouse Grey *fake*? If not, what color is the strap you got? You do know that there's leather at the ends that match the color of the bag -- if you didn't get a Mouse Grey one, it's not going to look right unless you plan on dying it to match (which is what I believe roro did -- didn't she get a black and/or ivory one to dye Topaz to match her stam??)

Carrying the stam on my shoulder isn't so much the prob, it's just the "look" that gets me. KWIM? Ok, maybe I'm weird.

Yes, it's mouse gray. I was able to find http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...PageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=023#ebayphotohosting
this, which is brown but if you look at the pics looks more "taupeish" to me.

Love the "leather like" descrip too :yucky:

Like I said, I am going to play the wait game and see. If it looks like sh*t then obviously I won't be using it at all. Right now it's just a temporary fix until I can get my hands on the real thing.

i think this is a great fix! i remember thinking the same thing that if people happen to have a icky fake they could use the chain off of that. i didnt know that you could get one for so cheap! i really dont think the difference between the real and fake chain will be that grave. i definitely dont think your weird. the stam looks more... official with the chain. post pics with it allt ogether when you get it!

Hmmmm, I don't mean to be a downer, but the chain on the bag in that link is very different than a real stam chain. The clips are a very different shape and the metal is "brushed"(your stam's hardware is shinny).
I hope you can find a solution to this issue. As someone else said in another thread, where are all these chains going?:sad:

Good luck:flowers:.

that brown is going to be too dark -- mouse grey does have taupe-like undertones, but it's primarily a grey bag -- I also agree with spacey, it's designed much differently than authentic stam chains -- I dont think I'd want a chain like that on my stam.

If you only want the chain for your trip -- why don't you see if there's a Pfer who will loan you their chain to use? I know of at least 2 people who just bought Mouse Grey Stam Hobos -- if they're not currently using the bag, maybe they'd let you borrow it?

Someone suggested dying the leather on the chain--would it be possible to get a chain for a white stam, and either dye it mouse yourself (if you're crafty like that), or even send it to lovinmybags (sp?) to have the people over there dye it for you? I'm sorry it's been so hard finding a chain, your situation is tough. :sad:

You're a bold woman to share such a dirty secret! :blush:

You came up with a creative solution - I'd keep trying to find the right chain. I think fake chains would drive someone crazy. I didn't know you could buy fakes for $25! It's not bad for an immediate solution...

Entertaining post though - thanks for sharing :biggrin:

ITA with all... :jammin: