Did I semi-score .. or was I being gently let down?

*Sai*

May 28, 2010
Some of you may be aware of my pursuit for my KELLY/BIRKIN and my ultimate dream to own a BIRKIN one day. I previously started a thread on how I scored a KELLY in London.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/multiple-reveal-my-pursuit-kelly-birkin-first-time-718772.html

Now... I went to the store yesterday and purchased a few bits and bobs (my hubby got a H belt and shirt and I purchased a hat), and I asked for a BIRKIN. My SA indirectly suggested and hinted that he was unable to sell more that one leather bag (kelly/birkin) a month, but then said to me if you write down what Birkin you want, in the New Year you may be lucky perhaps January and then smirked.

He then almost changed his tone and went on to say I cannot promise anything but I will try my best, (at this point DH and I only had purchased the H belt). As our spending increased to the other two items my SA said don't worry I will phone you in the new year, and then elaborated on my choices, saying oh are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a black BIRKIN .. ok no problem and he went on to re-read the 3 colour combos that I was after, and said its not practical if you keep coming here in your pregnant state and grinned. (ALSO... bare in mind this is my second time EVER in this HERMES store (I was there two weeks ago and scored a Kelly and then again there over the Weekend).

So my question to you HERMES experts, was.. did he just try to gently let me down, and will never phone me :sad: or am I on the right track to perhaps getting my first BIRKIN in January (in time for my 26th Birthday). :graucho:

It was the old list system, which I understand has all but stopped in London. Sounds like your SA has details of what you want, and will call you if anything comes in that matches your wishlist.

First of all, did you bring your Kelly with you? I don't know if it is a coincidence or what, but where in the past I have not had any luck with anything at all at the H boutiques, the minute I walked in the a Birkin, everyone in the store was all smiles. So I would definitely wear your H when you go in.

Second, is he an SA recommended on tpf? I had much better luck with someone that had glowing reviews here on the forum.

Are you in London? It probably wouldn't hurt to visit each boutique, after calling in advance to make an appt. with a particular SA at each location. I think that will help them know you are very serious as well. I went in first thing in the morning, so they could be completely focused, without as much chaos as the midday crowds.

It is obviously going to take patience no matter where you go, but you should definitely focus on finding a long-term SA that you feel is telling things to you straight, if that makes sense.

It's difficult to read these situations especially where Birkins are concerned...I think all you can do now is wait and see what happens....Hopefully he will call you in the NY but if not, don't give up, keep trying. Getting a Birkin can take a lot of patience, this is normal. Although some of the ladies have found their bags relatively quickly, this is not the norm. It has taken some here a long time to get the bag of their dreams but they persevered and got there in the end.

I wouldn't give up hope, sounds like he might going to call you in Januari. And if he doesn't, you can always ask again, you never know ;).
Good luck and I hope you will get a Birkin soon :biggrin:!

First of all, did you bring your Kelly with you? I don't know if it is a coincidence or what, but where in the past I have not had any luck with anything at all at the H boutiques, the minute I walked in the a Birkin, everyone in the store was all smiles. So I would definitely wear your H when you go in.

Second, is he an SA recommended on tpf? I had much better luck with someone that had glowing reviews here on the forum.

Are you in London? It probably wouldn't hurt to visit each boutique, after calling in advance to make an appt. with a particular SA at each location. I think that will help them know you are very serious as well. I went in first thing in the morning, so they could be completely focused, without as much chaos as the midday crowds.

It is obviously going to take patience no matter where you go, but you should definitely focus on finding a long-term SA that you feel is telling things to you straight, if that makes sense.
Yes I took the KELLY which I think did help (plus I love her too much and use any excuse to carry her).

I am in London , so yes my nearest boutiques are all the LONDON ones... and I am not sure if he has been reviewed on tpf... (how can I check this by the way).

I understand that getting my ideal bag will require patience (and your story pays tribute to the fact that patience is a virtue and dreams do come true). There is one combo I am particularly after and would love this to be my first BIRKIN..

I don't care how long it takes, as long as I get my dream one.. I do not want to settle for a BIRKIN just because it is one.. like a black one for example (as I own black chanel flap and want to venture away from my boring collection of black/brown bags). T

Thank you for your help :hugs:

Yes I took the KELLY which I think did help (plus I love her too much and use any excuse to carry her).

I am in London , so yes my nearest boutiques are all the LONDON ones... and I am not sure if he has been reviewed on tpf... (how can I check this by the way).

I understand that getting my ideal bag will require patience (and your story pays tribute to the fact that patience is a virtue and dreams do come true). There is one combo I am particularly after and would love this to be my first BIRKIN..

I don't care how long it takes, as long as I get my dream one.. I do not want to settle for a BIRKIN just because it is one.. like a black one for example (as I own black chanel flap and want to venture away from my boring collection of black/brown bags). T

Thank you for your help :hugs:

I totally know what you mean. You shouldn't settle-- I was tempted many times to just walk in and put my name down for them to call me for any Birkin at all. And up until the moment I found mine, I was resentful and frustrated. Is it a very special, rare color? That definitely makes it trickier.

I am referring to this thread, to get references to other SA's at some of the other London stores:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-shopping/lovely-h-sas-around-the-world-715456.html

If you don't see his name, maybe type his name into the search and see if there are any other reviews, feedback, suggestions.

Sai, It sounds a bit positive, but on a "cheeky" kind of fashion. I think you may get a call in the future, but with out him directly being able to come out and say it or promise you one. A very subtle hint perhaps that he hoped you would catch on to????

This is good advice, particularly point 1. I have never tried points 2 & 3 but they really make good sense.

Just keep going to the same sales and buy everything you fancy in the Hermes store from him. Once you establish a good relationship, a birkin should be on its way in the very near future.

As our spending increased to the other two items my SA said don't worry I will phone you in the new year, and then elaborated on my choices, saying oh are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a black BIRKIN ..

I might be wrong, but I think he was hinting that if you want a black birkin, he might be able to offer you one now or very soon (probabily because he had one at the back at the time!)