Did I get a good price on my diamond stud earrings?

Did I pay a fair price for my earrings?

• yes, you got a good deal

• no, you overpaid

Results are only viewable after voting.

writetotami

Jan 16, 2009
Hi everyone! Broke up with the boyfriend, so I went to Bailey Banks & Biddle to trade in a diamond necklace he had gotten for me for some less depressing diamond stud earrings! They are:

-platinum martini setting
-.75 ct total weight
-vs1-vs2 clarity
-g-h color
-GIA cert

retail was 3750 (but i know they mark these things up...), but i ended up getting it down to 2250..is this a fair price for them?

I have 30 days to change my mind!

thanks in advance =)

Oct 17, 2006
Yes, you overpaid.
1. Setting - BlueNile sells platinum earring setting for $360.
2. diamonds - Under $1,000. If they are the perfect hearts & Arrows diamonds type that are used for rings, then the price is about $1,500.
To find out the typical price of loose diamonds, do a search on bluenile.com, pricescope.com, and other online diamond websites. What you did not mention is the cut, which is the most important of the 4 C's. Given the fact that these are earrings and not daimond rings, the cut must be between good and very good. Even if excellent GIA cut or ideal AGS cut, the light performance may not be perfect hearts and arrows type. Therefore, I guess they are worth about $1,000 maximum. If top of the line perfect hearts and arrow (excellent light return, fire, and scintillation), the price should be around $1,500.

chaz

Superstar DJ
Sep 8, 2007
Waaaaay overpaid,take them back and hunt for a better deal. Good luck hope it pans out good for you!

Beenie

Hopeless Hoarder
O.G.
Dec 30, 2008
Sunny Florida
You did pay too much for these, IMHO. It still may be worth it to you because of the trade in, but you didn't get a deal.
That is a very high price for those earrings, but it is true about the trade in part, so you may want to keep them...good luck with your decision!

writetotami

Jan 16, 2009
thanks for all the feedback everybody! although im still on the fence about this..i may very well keep the earrings, because like ya'll said, after the trade in of the necklace, my out of pocket cost was about 1200

i figured buying from a fancy pants store like BB&B wouldnt be the best deal, but i sure did need to get rid of that emotional downer hanging around my neck!

@christiflora-lol i know a LITTLE bit about purchasing diamonds, but i have no idea what you're talking about! hearts,arrows...:confused1: lol

Mininana

Dino <3
O.G.
Jul 10, 2008
well technically with the $1200 out of pocket you practically paid full price for the earrings and threw the ring away :smile:

rainrowan

where's my bag?!
O.G.
Apr 25, 2006
I'm afraid I haven't much luck with resales or trades w/ jewelers in this economy. You might have gotten more for your necklace on eBay if you want to go that route and know how to protect yourself. That's what I did recently, I got twice as much as was offered by the jeweler. I learned my lesson, I'm sure he was making a nice profit with my jewelry for a while ;)

Oct 17, 2006
thanks for all the feedback everybody! although im still on the fence about this..i may very well keep the earrings, because like ya'll said, after the trade in of the necklace, my out of pocket cost was about 1200

i figured buying from a fancy pants store like BB&B wouldnt be the best deal, but i sure did need to get rid of that emotional downer hanging around my neck!

@christiflora-lol i know a LITTLE bit about purchasing diamonds, but i have no idea what you're talking about! hearts,arrows...:confused1: lol
I was referring to top cut round brilliant diamonds. See this link for more explanation.
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Refer to this video for a comparison between top cut diamonds with perfect hearts & arrows vs. a commonly cut diamond.
http://www.vimeo.com/1097057

A top cut round diamond with perfect hearts & arrows will look bright and crsp and sparkle like crazy under all lighting conditions. Can you tell the difference between the two diamonds in the video?

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Dovunque voglia andare
i personally don't trust chain jewelry stores like zales, jared's and bb&b, tbh. i honestly think they mark up their jewelry way too high to compensate for their massive overhead.

i don't know, i guess i grew up schlepping to nyc with my mom down to the diamond district whenever she bought jewelry. she always bought from the jewish jewelers who know what they're doing. they take you back to a nothing with nothing room, but who cares? no overhead. better quality, better price. simple as that.