Did I do the right thing after being invited to a 'purse party'??

She needed to know it was wrong.
Even if she is a friend, you have to let them know.

You should have let her know about those poor little girls in China with the clothes pins over their eyes! :sad:

You did the right thing. People need to realize that selling/buying counterfeit items is illegal. Since she is only a casual friend, I wouldn't worry about it. She may not even realize the consequences of what she was going to do.

I agree you did the right thing. I am not so gutsy and I wish I was. I would have probably just declined to go and not said anything.....which is wrong. People need to know about how wrong this is. Most don't know it's illegal - and unfortunately, most don't care. Everyone loves something for nothing. I hate that.

I am sure that you did the right thing. If she didn't know the knock-offs are illegal, she does now and she now knows how you feel about them.
Sometimes it is easier to write an email without getting over emotional, so I am sure that yours was fine! :smile:

You did the right thing. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law were really into attending purse parties. Well, a couple of months ago they came to my neighborhood for a purse party. It was literally about 5 houses down from me. I informed them that the bags were fake and manufactured under some horibble conditions. After this conversation, my MIL decided not to attend. My SIL is so cheap (she can afford to buy the real deal) that she attended and bought some fake coach anyway.

Thanks for everyone's imput.:yes:

I don't know how to quote multiples, so I'll just respond to some of your comments.

I seriously would be surprised if she does know it's illegal and all the ugliness behind the counterfeit business.

Yes, I'm simply hoping that she won't feel I'm being 'too uptight' and just realizes that in case she didn't know, I just wanted to make her aware. I won't hold judgement against her, I just know once I found out, I in good conscience (sp?) could NEVER even consider buying a fake. My hopes are that it affects her the same!:yes: (She mentioned she has a fake Coach now and know one can tell and she got it for only 75.00. What a waste of 75.00!)

I understand the urge to turn her in, etc., but I could never do that w/peace of mind to a friend, no matter how casual we are. Plus, since we do know one another, I'd like to give her a chance to be educated and then go from there. (I could easily turn in someone I didn't know though!!)

I would of told her another place where she could have thrown the party (and it wouldnt be pleasant)

I think you did the right thing, now she cant say "I didnt know it was illegal"

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!

When I found out that one of the PTO moms actually holds purse parties, and another mom in my development asked me to attend, I didn't say anything at first. But then I found out that according to the US Dept. of Counter-Terrorism, the counterfeit industry may also be sponsoring terrorism (see link below).

So since I'm active in my development and my son's school, I sent an email to every woman I knew and shared Wealth TV's video on "Luxury Goods and Counterfeits" (line below) as well as the article on counterfeits supporting terrorism.

I also shared in the email that wasn't above buying a fake myself - I had bought my first fake handbag in NYC last summer - a small white Prada purse for $7.00, plus sunglasses for $2.00. I explained that I've decided it was to be my first and very last fake!

I only got a response from my MIL and that was it. I was expecting a cold shoulder, but then everyone forgot about it and we're all fine.

Counterfeits funding terrorism: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/12/business/fake.php

View the 25th video: Luxury Goods & Counterfeits here: http://www.wealthtv.net/programming.html

Don't worry...you def did the right thing!! I would have been less tactful than you however..this stuff really really irritates me and I can't help but let that show.....Good job!!!

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I'm just stunned! I really don't even know what to say because I was totally shocked at what you wrote, not in a bad way, But I had no idea... That is just crazy. I can't even believe all that would be connected. I had no idea. I've never heard that at all and there are so many people I'm finding that have been going to purse parties and so forth..I have already sent out most invites so I can cancel this late of notice, but it does make me feel bad knowing that. I'm not mad at you at all for informing me as long as like you said not judging me of having one. Since I will still be having one due to invites and everyone who already is planning on it. I'll have to ask around and look into that, because that is just unbelieveable everything you found out. I've never heard that like I said. I'm kinda stunned and really dont' know what to say... I'll have to let it all sink in a bit[/font]

Ok. I got this response back from her. I feel GREAT now!:tup: You know, I wanted to do the resonsible thing, but didn't want her to feel 'attacked'.

THank you to the poster above that shared a link or two. I was just going to ask everyone if they had any more sites that they've saved to their favorites that spells it out nice and clear. I replied to her and offered to share some infor. with her if she's interested.