Did I do somemthing wrong, or is it the Apple protectant?

stoli_cat

Mar 13, 2008
I already posted this in the Kooba forum without much luck, and was hoping someone here can help.

I bought a new Kooba and promptly sprayed three coats of Apple Brand Leather Protector on it, waiting 15 minutes between each coat. Afterward, I must have picked it up without completely drying my hands (so it was just barely a drop of water). It stained, and I immediately dabbed at it with a napkin. I didn't think much of it because I just sprayed it.

When I came home from dinner, the stain was still there! I looked on Apple Polishes' Web site. They don't sell the "Leather Protector" anymore. What they now sell is "Leather Care" and "Garde."

Did I purchase a brand new bottle of expired product? Did that have anything to do with the stain? Did I not spray enough, or not waited long enough between sprays? Most importantly, how can I save my bag?

Please, please advise... :crybaby:

I'm sure if you are patient enough, you'll get an answer soon. I, personally, don't treat any of my bags with anything, except maybe a spot cleaning with a damp soft cloth. I feel your pain, though.

Apple Garde is the leather protector.

There are so many variables....

You may not have waited long enough between coats.

You may have sprayed it too much.

You may have sprayed too close to the bag.

If you oversprayed, it could take a day to dry. Don't worry about it.

It seems like you sprayed too much too quickly. I spray it again after close to an hour making sure it is completely dry and 2 coats at most. I doubt it is because it is expired. Maybe with use it'll go away. Probably water and undried spray don't make a good mix at all.

Unfortunately, the stain did not improve. I've attached a photo below.

Wow, I never even considered overspraying as a factor. I go on the Mulberry forum and they say to practically drench the bags with Collinil Waterstop "until it's running off." I guess different bags, different products...

In any case, the bag was dry to the touch between sprays. I guess I'll just wait longer next time.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• stain_sm.jpg
    stain_sm.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 203
I don't think that you oversprayed because this happened to my Kooba Sienna in desert after sparying it with apple spray it had a big spot of discoloration/oily stain. I guess it was because this leather was really sensitive being untreated lambskin. Now I try every leather protectant on an invisible area first. I learned my lesson.
I hope that your stain will fade over time.

I don't think that you oversprayed because this happened to my Kooba Sienna in desert after sparying it with apple spray it had a big spot of discoloration/oily stain. I guess it was because this leather was really sensitive being untreated lambskin. Now I try every leather protectant on an invisible area first. I learned my lesson.
I hope that your stain will fade over time.

Yes, esp real leather, comes from real skin, thus they have pores too. Grease stains are usually not removable. But should there be a next time, :shame: try applying some talcum power on the stain IMMEDIATELY, it can help adsorb the stain.

I believe the spray is oil base to make it waterproof after spraying? They should warn ppl on how to use it...:sad: I am sorry for your bag, hope as you use it more, the colour will even out.

Thanks for everyone's comments and sentiments.

As my pragmatic husband says, now you don't have to stress out about trying keeping the bag perfect, because it's already a little imperfect.

I guess you can look at it like that...

stoli, try taking a Q-tip of baby powder or cornstarch and dot the stain with it. Give it time to absorb, maybe a few minutes, then wipe it away. You may need to do this several times. This may help lessen the oil.

I use both Wilson's and Appleguard and have had good results on all of my Koobas.