did anyone else get a strange email?

I got it, and its not the first time Ive received crap like that. Its a infamous scam. There are people that have got them selves caught up in this mess, who are now out of pocket.

just delete it.:noworry:

Vlad said:
That is not possible. Our member's email addresses are hidden from the public, and we won't mail our members with this crap. :cool:

but email addresses are accessible by members, right? i mean if we have it enabled in our "edit options" area?

IMO it could have come from anywhere, any web site you've visited, any site you've given out your email address in a form, Ebay, your Email account.....anywhere at all.
But not here, i wouldn't have thought.:oh:
Just delete it and forget about it - it's a scam...and a not very believable one at that!
I've had one that's very similar.

Just to add....A friend of mine replied to one of these emails asking them where on earth they got her address from, and they replied, insisting that it really was a Nigerian Fund Transfer they wanted and would she consider it!??:shocked: :lol:

jstreete said:
but email addresses are accessible by members, right? i mean if we have it enabled in our "edit options" area?

No, it's kind of like eBay.
Someone can select the send member message via e-mail option, but they WILL NOT see your e-mail addy unless you e-mail them back from your e-mail account.
KWIM?

they surface from time to time. i recently just got one in my yahoo account.. seems they hit yahoo accounts faster/more than any other mail account. they're all BS.

and by the way.. for emailing you.. they really just enter a bunch of different combinations of letters and numbers and hope it gets to someone at the very least. especially for yahoo.. like mine is jimnerf, and for one of those, i read the "TO" addresses and they went from jimmnerf, jimm, jimmn3, jimn3rf, jimmnie, etc.. they covered like almost all the jimmys available.

jstreete said:

Negative. If you enable the option of members sending you an email, your address won't be disclosed. The member only can use a form to email you. Once the other member uses that form, her email address becomes visible to you.

The thing is that once your email gets posted anywhere publicly, on a board, on ebay, anywhere else, spiders are guaranteed to pick it up, add it to the spam list and you will get blasted with male genitalia enlargement solutions and nigerian money scams within days.

Vlad said:
The thing is that once your email gets posted anywhere publicly, on a board, on ebay, anywhere else, spiders are guaranteed to pick it up, add it to the spam list and you will get blasted with male genitalia enlargement solutions and nigerian money scams within days.

LOL!:lol::lol::lol: you are so polite!

stupid spammers. i hate getting junk mail. i've gotten 3 more already. it's weird because i do visit other sites but just to browse. i don't buy or sign up for anything. well, only on ebay but it's been a while since i've been on.

I get these all the time. Different names, different countries and companies, but all the same scam.
I just delete them. What ever you do, don't reply! They are hoping you take the bait and give up your personal information so they can clean out your bank account or run up your credit card.
Kate