diaper bag as travel tote - faux pas?

lilibyrd

Mar 25, 2014
I'm about to travel for two weeks to Asia. It will be hot, likely rainy, and a segment of my trip will be by train.

I want to get a large, water-resistant, sturdy, easy to clean travel bag... and I've been looking at a lot of diaper bags... they seem perfect! Roomy, wipeable (because the true local experience won't be a clean one) and most have convertible straps to carry cross body or on the shoulder... it's basically EVERYTHING I am looking for in a travel tote... plus a changing pad.

Would it be weird... awkward... for a young, single, girl to travel with a diaper bag? Has any one else bought a diaper bag just for traveling?

Or in that case... any good travel bag recommendations for under $200?

ps this is the bag I'm looking to buy! - http://surprise.katespade.com/on/de...w-all&srule=price-low-to-high&start=95&sz=550

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a diaper bag as a travel bag (just me, personally). I use Prada nylon bags for my travel bags, and they are divine! Virtually indestructible, water-proof, etc. They're however over $200. I have heard that Longchamp makes a good travel bag too - they have a lot of bags under $200, and I know they have some with cross-body straps, but am just not sure how much those models are.

Not a problem at all! In fact most modern diaper bags do not look like diaper bags at all. Kate spade and coach make lovely and inexpensive diaper bags. You can also check out brands like Carter's, Timi&Leslie and Petunia Pickle Bottom. I get them from amazon.

I think the term diaper bag is only to lure another segment of the market instead of calling it tote or travel bag. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Would it be weird... awkward... for a young, single, girl to travel with a diaper bag? Has any one else bought a diaper bag just for traveling?

Or in that case... any good travel bag recommendations for under $200
Nope, not weird at all. There's a reason true "diaper bags" are popular with mothers - all those pockets, washable and lightweight to name a few.
I also travel with a diaper bag. I am also a... okay not so young girl... but I am single/no children and I have a Tods Pashmy Mummy bag that is awesome. Super light, bunch of pockets, and if it gets dirty (which it actually very seldom does) I take it to the dry cleaner.
Mine has a changing pad and removable lining and I don't usually travel with those, but I can see that for certain destinations, yes the changing pad would come in very handy as a seat.

I don't think the bag you have chosen looks like a diaper bag at all.
Have a great trip!

Having used diaper bags for diapering I always found them heavier than I would like. Also having travelled around Asia in the summertime I'd suggest something secure, light, washable and water resistant.

I realize you probably already bought the KS bag but if not I'd say go with a LeSportSac convertible bag. Hayden-Harnett also makes good, sturdy, functional nylon travel bags that are a little classier looking that LSS.