Diamonds, handbags, and hypocrasy.

organic said:
you've certainly done a very poor job of articulating your point.
No, I've backed up my examples with cited facts, not baseless claims.

Just because I posted a portrait of an armless girl, that disturbs you? It's not bloody, it's not violent. How can you compare that to a PETA campaign.

classwhore said:
No, I've backed up my examples with cited facts, not baseless claims.

Just because I posted a portrait of an armless girl, that disturbs you? It's not bloody, it's not violent. How can you compare that to a PETA campaign.

you can't deny that it's sensationalist. it's what people do to get people's attention when their arguments aren't going to take care of it.

i'm not saying that it's good or bad, because the things you are talking about certainly lead to the things in the pictures, but don't be self-righteous about it. it's sensationalist.

Sanguar said:
Do you really mean 'hypocratic'? That's something different all together...

PS- I looooove my Tiffany diamonds. I will continue to love them. I will probably buy more.

Haha yup, you're right. I haven't had my coffee this morning. Somehow I was thinking 'hypocratic oath...'

Sunshine said:
This thread is pissing me off so bad. I would get banned if I said what I thought...however since I love so much about this forum I shall not...say ...a...word....

You're not going to be banned, these aren't personal attacks. I'm stimulating a debate over how some people on this board are 'shaming' people for buying fakes when the arguments they use apply to the things most people already own, such as 'funding terrorism' or 'uses child labor,' which apply to both fake bags and diamonds.

amanda said:
you can't deny that it's sensationalist....but don't be self-righteous about it. it's sensationalist.

I can deny it, and I am. I'm not being anymore self-righteous than anyone who is talking about the reasons against fake bags here.

No, sensationalist would be a photo of the girl actually having her arm cut off, with the blood gushing out. That's PETA's method, showing bloody freshly-skinned animals on their billboards. There's a big difference.

classwhore said:
I can deny it, and I am. I'm not being anymore self-righteous than anyone who is talking about the reasons against fake bags here.

No, sensationalist would be a photo of the girl actually having her arm cut off, with the blood gushing out. That's PETA's method, showing bloody freshly-skinned animals on their billboards. There's a big difference.

there are degrees of sensationalism. there's no brite line between what is and what isn't. nothing is that simple.

amanda said:
there are degrees of sensationalism. there's no brite line between what is and what isn't. nothing is that simple.

No, because you're drawing a conclusion. That girl could just as easily have lost her arm in a bus accident. It's a portrait. You're projecting more than is actually there.

Yes, she could have lost it in a bus accident, but you put it in so that we would feel sorry for her and think that your side of the argument is correct. If she lost it in a bus accident, why is it even in this thread????

classwhore said:
No, because you're drawing a conclusion. That girl could just as easily have lost her arm in a bus accident. It's a portrait. You're projecting more than is actually there.

you didn't put it up because she was in a bus accident.

and if you have no idea why she was injured, than that's even more sensationalist than i originally thought. you're co-opting her suffering to prove your point, even though you may not even know the cause of it.

classy move.

well, all i have to say is that since i hate to be judged by others who do not understand my love of designer handbags, i would never then turn around and try to shame another person who chooses to buy fakes. i just have a serious problem when these scam artists outright lie and say the bag they are trying to sell you is authentic when it isn't.

As a lover of diamonds, I saw the title of this post and jumped right in...and I am a bit surprised. I know that there are SOME diamonds that are associated with terrorism, etc., but you can purchase from reputable places who disclose where the diamonds are from and be selective about it. About the "man-made"...some are not bad, but I can still tell the difference with the naked eye. Then again, I have a REALLY sharp eye.

As for the counterfeit (fake) bags, the bottom line is that FAKES ARE ILLEGAL. They rip off the trademarks of legitimate companies and trade on that company's good name and reputation. They provide lower quality while stealing someone else's name and design. Then they sell in bulk to people who they KNOW are turning around and selling to consumers as the real thing. It is illegal to sell a fake, in some places it is illegal to buy a fake, and if you sell it as the real bag and ship it, it's mail fraud as well. The whole deal is just bad news.

I have NO problem with people carrying "inspired" bags, but don't put the designer's name on it unless it is from the actual designer! PERIOD.

I am keeping my diamonds AND my designer bags.

Edit: As much as we all abhor child labor, in some countries (and I am not advocating it...I am just pointing this out) families would starve if the children did not work. Look at Victorian England during the "hungry 40s"...sad but true. And as much as I think PETA is over the top, I am glad someone is speaking out for animals. It's one thing to use an entire animal (cow=leather, meat, glue, etc.) but another to kill an animal just to take it's fur. I complain to the boutiques that use fur on their bags...usually loudly and in front of their customers.

Bag Fetish said:
this one here gets me "and to add to alot of my favorites - typically when a product says 'made in the USA' or "made in france' it MANY times is made in either prisons or correctional facilities by inmates earning up to 50 cents per day. At the time of my research, eddie bauer and levi were at the top of the prison industrial labor facilities."

My thought is you are in prison for a reason and we the tax payers are paying to feed you and give you a place to sleep. I think its the least they can do to earn the food they eat/ and their bed.

My thought exactly. These are convicted fellons who get free room and board, medical care, blah blah blah with tax payer's money. Shouldn't they work for what they get in prison, especially when there are hard working law abiding citizens who work for minimum wages and can hardly get by.

I really wasn't going to say anything but your use of that girl's picture did it for me. My parents devoted 7 years of their lives in Africa as doctors caring for people caught in the civil wars there. That's 7 years without electricity and decent sanitation. And you know what? My mother owns diamonds from Tiffany's.

So you, a person who is sitting at home on their computer and looking up research articles, wants to accuse my mother, a person who has been out in Africa and devoted her life to helping others, of contributing to the atrocities in Africa? Please. Don't even act like you know what goes on in Africa from reading a few articles. Even if the diamond industry were gone I can guarantee that some other industry would replace it.

You want to help these kids? Go volunteer your time, raise money for charity, educate people on not buying from companies that purchase conflict diamonds instead of being argumentative and sensationalistic on a forum just to get a rise out of people. I feel as if you're not really concerned with the well-being of kids in Africa or anything else as much as you just want to instigate an argument for argument's sake.

classwhore said:
By the way, when you actually read up on diamonds, you will realize that the luxury bag industry has ripped a page right from the success of the diamond industry. Diamonds are essentially worthless, but DeBeers keeps their value artificially inflated and promoted with amazing ad campaigns that date back to 1938:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debeers

It's called being business savvy.

And wikipedia isn't really the most academic/credible source, either, to be citing your arguments with.

sparkles48 said:
So you, a person who is sitting at home on their computer and looking up research articles, wants to accuse my mother, a person who has been out in Africa and devoted her life to helping others, of contributing to the atrocities in Africa? Please. Don't even act like you know what goes on in Africa from reading a few articles. Even if the diamond industry were gone I can guarantee that some other industry would replace it.

I'm saying almost ANYTHING you buy contributes to atrocities SOMEWHERE.

Why should designers be held to some higher standard of artistry and copyright protection just because they design handbags?

Sure fakes are illegal.
That doesn't stop them from being made.

Diamonds are legal.
That doesn't stop the atrocities from happening.

War is wrong.
That never stopped anyone from engaging in it.